collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to hunt elk  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Cougar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
How to hunt elk
« on: August 15, 2007, 01:07:00 AM »
I haven't really had much of an idea how to go about hunting elk.  I've just walked around the woods and sat in a nice spot against a tree or something.  Walking around worked once, I sprung up a spike (at least I thought it was one) but didn't wanna shoot and then ask questions later because I wasn't %100 sure.

But I was wondering how I would go about hunting them.  Would I use a call, and if so what kind?  I have an electronic caller so I have a variety of calls, would cow chirps and elk bugle work to bring in cows/spikes?

Would I walk around the woods, or sit against a tree, or call for one.  I am really clueless on how to hunt elk.  Any advise would really help from some of you experienced elk hunters.  If it helps, I've been hunting up around Yakima (Bethel Unit) with muzzleloader. Thanks again.

Cougar (Mark)

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
Re: How to hunt elk
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
First, I don't believe you can use an electronic caller for elk here in Washington.  But otherwise, you just gotta hunt where the elk are.  Later season when muzzleloaders are legal, the heavy rut will be winding down, but there will still be some wound up satellite bulls out looking for their shot at the action.  Definitely use the cow call to try and draw them in.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Cougar

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
Oh alrighty.  But yeah I think I can hunt with the electronic caller for elk, but I know I can't use it for deer season.  But I'll read over the regulations again and re-check. Thanks.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:03:33 AM »
Also, I have watched a few elk videos (although I have not done it in real life, used calls for them) and I have noticed that when they use a call during the rut (for archery) they use the call....then move slightly away (even just 15 feet or so) from where they did it....the elk seem to really zero in on where the sound comes from, so when they come in, they will be looking at the spot you called but not notice you are slightly off to the side....then the arrows come flying in~! Good luck.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »
Well I would have bet money it was illegal to use electronic calls for elk, but according to this I would have lost money:

12. Using decoys and calls
It is illegal to hunt waterfowl, turkey, or
deer with the use or aid of electronic
calls and battery powered or other
electronic devices as decoys.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »
i would have been right there with you on the losing end, machias, but  i never win anyway.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:57:08 PM »
Two years ago there were some guys in the Little Naches with an electronic elk bugle. Sounded really weird, not like a real elk at all. But they did have a bull bugling back. He never did come in though.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »
There would have been several of us losing money on that bet.  Not sure why exaclty they would outlaw it for deer but leave it open for elk.:dunno: Just one more thing to make the regs so confusing a guy doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »
elk will bugle at anything............car door slamming............... arrows rattling on rests ...........gun shots.............

I played with an electronic one it sucked.  I laugh at people who waste there money on those things.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Cougar

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
Yeah I thought I was right, I was sure that it was illegal for deer (seeing it in different colored print in the regulations) but I guess they'll let us hunt with them for elk this year.
If only they had a call for spikes to make it easier to find those suckers out there.

So when hunting elk, you want to mainly stick to cow elk chirps and hopefully call some curious elk in?

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »
Cougar,

I'm pretty new to elk hunting, but I do know there is a boat load of information out there to learn from. Asking questions is helpful but you might also spend some time reading through past posts on elk hunting on this website and others. There are plenty of them. There are also several good books on the subject. I have one from Dwight Schuh (Bugling for Elk) and one from Mike Lapinski (Radical Elk Hunting Strategies....). I know there are plenty of others out there as well. Last of all you might want to rent some videos on the subject and learn from them. The earlier videos seem to be a little more educational than the newer and more refined DVDs, but all of them are entertaining. You can rent or buy from Huntflix...they have a huge selection.

Good luck.

LF
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 03:13:40 PM by Little Fish »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
Where did you guys see that electronic calls were not legal for deer? I've never heard of that.  :dunno:

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »
well guys not to be a bubble burster, but.... in wa we have SUPER short seasons and lots of pressure, so pretty much any video you have seen is just gonna be a dissapointment. I strongly advise that you scout areas and learn where the critters are typically gonna move through, funnels, draws, creek bottoms.....yada yada. If your calling goes south.....and there is a super cahnce of it if you are in a decent area there will be a bunch of call heavy hunters, I would spend every daylight hour working my binos in any topography that might allow an elk to sneak by.

I went 10 years without an elk kill in washington and honestly was problt one of the best elk hunters alive.....but in the wrong state. if you were in wyoming or montana you could replay what you saw on the videos and prolly score.....wa is different.

since I learned what it takes to kill elk in this damn state I have gone nearly perfect in the last 10 years. I no longer even consider myself an elk hunter, but instead a hunter who adapted to the states overcrowded too short season and found a few ways to make it pay off in the freezer.

good luck, sorry if it sounded like a downer.......just being real

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »
be sure to check out angry spike productions videos....
aspshannon is a member on here and the videos are all western washington roosevelt elk hunts. be careful getting all hot to call elk...may do more harm than good.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 04:55:30 PM »
 Every time I come across a set of elk tracks I hear my dad saying in the back of my head "turn that set of tracks into an elk" The more tracking you do the better you'll get at it and the more you'll learn about elk and their travels.

I do alot of calling but when the bulls shutup I switch right over to the basics. Tracking works for all weapons and seasons, early seasons are alot harder to track but definitely do-able.

Alot of the videos out there are put out by call manufacturers so they are of course biased to calling, I enjoy the videos but most are filmed on special permits or private property. ASP videos are good truthfull hunting, on public access areas. I have always told someone wanting to learn to call to watch Elk Fever put out by Larry D. Jones. It is one of the best step by step instructional how to call videos out there.

But you've got to start somewhere and learning to track elk is something you must know how to do to hunt elk effectively and the only place to learn that is in the woods.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand