collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good Cop Bad Cop - Open Carry Confrontation in Michigan  (Read 17822 times)

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Good Cop Bad Cop - Open Carry Confrontation in Michigan
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
It seems cops get too hung up on ID at first, instead of just asking the guy what he was doing and where he was going. 

Very true statement.

At least he asked for his ID and not his gun though.  Can you imagine where this thread would have gone had that been the case  :chuckle:

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:04 PM »
The first cop didn't do anything wrong at all. Police have a duty and are expected to investigate suspicious activities. Walking through a suburban area with a rifle on your back is suspicious. What if the officer didn't do anything at all then this guy walked into an elementary school and started shooting? Then what we say, that the officer did what he was supposed to do?

The people who feel it necessary to walk around with guns in view looking for confrontation or to startle people are immature fools.   

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
Walking through a suburban area with a rifle on your back is suspicious.

JoeE hit on a really good point.  Cops deal in the world of reasonable suspicion and probable cause.  Things that are not normal behavior can contribute to reasonable suspicion.  Carrying a rifle around in a suburban area really isn't normal.  It's not a normal open carry defensive weapon.  That's not to say it can't be, but on the surface it's obviously going to appear weird to the public, and thereby lead to you being questioned.

This dude has obviously watched too many open carry videos on the net and decided he needed a little skin in the game.  He cracked me up when his first comment was "I don't have to show you ID".  I would question his mental state too if he acted like that when I tried to talk to him.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline BsB

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »
Worst open carry video ever.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:47 AM »
Walking through a suburban area with a rifle on your back is suspicious.

JoeE hit on a really good point.  Cops deal in the world of reasonable suspicion and probable cause.  Things that are not normal behavior can contribute to reasonable suspicion.  Carrying a rifle around in a suburban area really isn't normal.  It's not a normal open carry defensive weapon.  That's not to say it can't be, but on the surface it's obviously going to appear weird to the public, and thereby lead to you being questioned.

This dude has obviously watched too many open carry videos on the net and decided he needed a little skin in the game.  He cracked me up when his first comment was "I don't have to show you ID".  I would question his mental state too if he acted like that when I tried to talk to him.

:yeah:  "Attention getting behavior". 
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline sirfunkeybut

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 08:58:46 AM »
I've been stopped while open carrying s shotgun before, granted I was in a hunters orange vest with a pocket full of quail. Two cops stopped me with guns drawn and demanded I place my gun on the ground. I ended up getting a ride the last two blocks to my house and while in the car I read the computer and someone called in and said there's a kid carrying a gun headed to the park, this was back in 2002 or so

Offline Doc Sauce

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
How about good cop... good cop!!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=589_1345502474

I watched the first video and then found this one.  I loved it!! 

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »

:yeah: that's a good cop. we'll take more of those please.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
guess legal open carry is to be a thing of the past then?
If he's not violating the law don't make a case out of a legal open carry.
People are waking up to thier rights and excerising that right leave them alone!
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
Should anybody have stopped and talked to guy who walked into the movie theater in Colorado with a gun and shot the place up? Should anybody have stopped and asked the guy what he was doing before he walked into Sandy Hook Elementary school?

Csaaphill, nobody takes you seriously. About 95% percent of your posts are just you showing the forum how much of a nut case you are. Here you just revived a week old thread looking for an argument.

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

I've seen this one before, and this officer does an outstanding job of articulating his reasonable suspicion, and giving very clear commands. 

Food for thought, how do you think contact would have gone if the fellow being detained thought that he knew enough case law that he refused to allow the officer to check his weapon because of an "illegal search or seizure"?

This kid was kind of an idiot at first, talking about how it was a violation of Terry v. Ohio (it's not), and making a big deal of the contact being recorded.  Hopefully he learned something from it also.

Offline Doc Sauce

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 10:22:38 AM »

I've seen this one before, and this officer does an outstanding job of articulating his reasonable suspicion, and giving very clear commands. 

Food for thought, how do you think contact would have gone if the fellow being detained thought that he knew enough case law that he refused to allow the officer to check his weapon because of an "illegal search or seizure"?

This kid was kind of an idiot at first, talking about how it was a violation of Terry v. Ohio (it's not), and making a big deal of the contact being recorded.  Hopefully he learned something from it also.

What would  have happened if the interchange had gone wrong... well...  Worst case scenario both cop, both citizens, and a driver on the road all get killed.  I think the severity of the situation would really have depended on how the armed fella acted. 

If he kept backing up in circles, saying he did not consent, but making no move to grab his weapon, he could have gotten rushed and tackled.  Arrested for resisting a lawful search.  End result, just a couple bruises and scraped up knees and elbows.  A small black eye on his criminal record.

If he starts backing up, arguing about illegal searches, and getting hostile, then reaching for his gun, this dude could have easily been killed. 

Were I in this sittuation,  there is a good chance I would have acted like this guy.  Afraid I am going to go to jail and not wanting to submit to anything... in the end I would have looked foolish and the cop would have verified the safety of that street with me walking down it.

Cop did an outstanding job in this one.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
You wouldn't catch me walking downtown with a rifle. Having said that, cops will get away with what they can. Just because they ask you to do something doesn't mean you necessarily have to do it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
You wouldn't catch me walking downtown with a rifle. Having said that, cops will get away with what they can. Just because they ask you to do something doesn't mean you necessarily have to do it.

So in this instance are you saying the cop didn't have reasonable suspicion to detain the man and check his rifle for full auto capability?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:16:01 AM »

So in this instance are you saying the cop didn't have reasonable suspicion to detain the man and check his rifle for full auto capability?

Go after someone else, JLS. I bet you're a bully on the street, too. I'm not interested.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]