collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canning Wild Game  (Read 105151 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Canning Wild Game
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
Tagging!  Cool stuff guys :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
Just ate the first jar of this year's muley. It turned out great!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »
just realized I have a few quart jars left from last year, better get chowin' on those.

I've already resolved myself to use wide mouth pint's next go around for serving size too. 

My other half always seems to forget I have quart jars of meat sitting there handy on the shelf, I think she does it on purpose  :chuckle:
It's a mental thing, she grew up with a grocery store 2 minutes away, so they never stored meat...just went next door and got a package for dinner.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2015, 07:48:54 PM »
just realized I have a few quart jars left from last year, better get chowin' on those.

I've already resolved myself to use wide mouth pint's next go around for serving size too. 

My other half always seems to forget I have quart jars of meat sitting there handy on the shelf, I think she does it on purpose  :chuckle:
It's a mental thing, she grew up with a grocery store 2 minutes away, so they never stored meat...just went next door and got a package for dinner.
My wife is the same way. However tonight she tried it straight out of the jar and said it was really good. So maybe there is some hope for her... :chuckle:

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2016, 08:39:24 AM »
I've done venison chunks and its turned out great...we did some burger at the same time and it turned to mush and can't stand to eat it...also did some stew and can't get enough....when I go back to Idaho this year my mom is going to buy my second tag so she has a whole deer to can......we just canned 45lbs of chicken yesterday and a  huge pot of chilli....both turned out great..I fried up some bacon and threw it in a few jars of chicken...can't wait to try that out
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2016, 07:50:24 AM »
Been eating vension my whole life and never tasted canned until Sunday.  Did raw pack pints with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp seasoning.  Tasted like stew.  The juice was very good.  Prolly "pull" the meat and let it soak up the juice, like I do with my canned salmon in preperation for eating. Don't know why WE never did this a long time ago.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 07:56:04 AM »
Yeah, it's great.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »

My wife is the same way. However tonight she tried it straight out of the jar and said it was really good. So maybe there is some hope for her... :chuckle:

Not mine, I pretty much have to hide the canned meat or she will eat it for a snack....   :chuckle: It is by far her favorite way to eat venison, even better to her than a backstrap.   :yike:

Been eating vension my whole life and never tasted canned until Sunday.  Did raw pack pints with 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp seasoning.  Tasted like stew.  The juice was very good.  Prolly "pull" the meat and let it soak up the juice, like I do with my canned salmon in preperation for eating. Don't know why WE never did this a long time ago.

Throw a thick slice of onion in the bottom of the jar and add even more flavor to the juice.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »

Not mine, I pretty much have to hide the canned meat or she will eat it for a snack....   :chuckle: It is by far her favorite way to eat venison, even better to her than a backstrap.   :yike:

Throw a thick slice of onion in the bottom of the jar and add even more flavor to the juice.
That's a great idea. I'm going to try that out.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »
A bit of Lipton onion soup mix in there is really good too.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Carp Commander

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington Bowfishing Association
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
When canning Chili, Stews or other similar, multiple ingredient recipes are you still using a cold pack method.

I have always cooked the meal, let it cool, pack it and then can it.

Can you mix all of the ingredients in their raw form, cold pack it and let the 1st and only cooking occur inside the jar?

Does it change the flavor because all of the ingredients didn't have an opportunity to "marry together" in a big pot all day?

Thanks

Doug
"Smoked carp taste just as good as smoked salmon, when you ain't got no salmon"

Rancid Crabtree

Offline 206

• Cray206
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »

I was thinking about that last night.  Then this morning I thought about cold smoking it for an hour or so like I do fish before canning.  I think the venison would take on too much smoke for this, and I don't want to ruin a good thing.

How about watching that pressure guage for over an hour while adjusting stove.  Aint that a butch.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2016, 09:39:14 PM »

I was thinking about that last night.  Then this morning I thought about cold smoking it for an hour or so like I do fish before canning.  I think the venison would take on too much smoke for this, and I don't want to ruin a good thing.

How about watching that pressure guage for over an hour while adjusting stove.  Aint that a butch.

Keep records of what temp you set your stove to and for how long to reach a certain pressure and where you set it to maintain the correct pressure, then just follow those guidelines later, saves a lot of eyeballing.

When canning Chili, Stews or other similar, multiple ingredient recipes are you still using a cold pack method.

Can you mix all of the ingredients in their raw form, cold pack it and let the 1st and only cooking occur inside the jar?

Does it change the flavor because all of the ingredients didn't have an opportunity to "marry together" in a big pot all day?

I've only really canned leftover soups and such and pack them hot.  I think I have heard of people "cooking" it while canning. I think the flavors will marry fine as the jar usually boils for quite a while even after removing it from the canner.  Just be sure to can for the time required by the ingredient that needs the most time.

Just bought fifteen pounds of chicken breast at 97 cents a pound, will be chunking and canning that tomorrow, beats the canned chicken from Costco.  Then, I get to remove ten or eleven of our young roosters from the flock and can them as well.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
    • facebook
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2016, 09:42:07 PM »

Thanks

Doug
I cold packed my stew. It turned out great.

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »
and can't staI've done venison chunks and its turned out great...we did some burger at the same time and it turned to mush nd to eat it...also did some stew and can't get enough....when I go back to Idaho this year my mom is going to buy my second tag so she has a whole deer to can......we just canned 45lbs of chicken yesterday and a  huge pot of chilli....both turned out great..I fried up some bacon and threw it in a few jars of chicken...can't wait to try that out

You can brown burger or sausage patties , and then can them . It has a better texture ,reheat in frying pan and they arent too bad . The sausage patties are great for making a quick gravy .

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]