collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garmin Rino 530hcx GPS/GMRS radio  (Read 10384 times)

Offline DBake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Garmin Rino 530hcx GPS/GMRS radio
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »
What is the best deals people have seen on these?

The best price I have found so far is on ebay with a 2gb card for $339.

Offline DBake

• Hunter
Re: Garmin Rino 530HCx
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »
Opps, the price above is for a refurbished unit.

What are the best deals for new products....

Offline cully

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »
check wal mart online
"We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family."

Chief Seattle

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
In early Sept. caught a sale at Cabelas on the 520Hcx's at $329 instead of the regular $449.99.  Plus a $50 rebate on top of that from Garmin.  Made them $280 after rebate.....I bought two......sweet deal.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline DBake

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:55:31 AM »
What topo is everyone using with the Rino?

Does the National Geographic Topo work well with the Rino or 60CSX series? Something eles work better?

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »
I believe you have to use Garmin Mapsource.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:16:50 PM »
Sadly enough its true.  No choice in the matter.  i dont know how much better the 2008 version of mapsource is over the older version.

Offline BuckHunter23

• Scout
Garmin Rino 530hcx GPS/GMRS radio
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
I am relatively new to the hunting world (will be my third year) and I am starting to acquire all the things I need to be successful.  Two of the more important things I have not got yet are a GPS unit and a handheld radio.  As I get to learn new areas, I thought it would be nice to mark places I liked and might want to hunt.  Also not a bad idea in case I get myself lost, which is absolutely possible with my sense of direction.  I've also had to borrow radios each of the last couple years, and of course I'm stuck with the old ones that make the most noise and have the crappiest reception.

Anyhow, I was looking into the Garmin Rino 530hcx.  Just wanted to see who has one of these and hear what your thoughts were.  A couple of my hunting buddies were thinking on geting them as well, so I thought I would look into them.  I liked the ability to see where each other is on the map.  I also liked the idea of a radio and GPS in one unit, so I don't have to carry a ton of crap with me.  I've found some pretty great deals online that come with the expanded memory and the topo program for under $500.

Thanks in advance for the feedback and response!  This site has been great to learn about hunting and most of you have been very helpful with my other questions.

Offline BuckHunter23

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
I just posted another post asking for feedback on this unit.  I am looking into getting one as well.

I looked online for the best deals I could find.  The best one I came across was through PCNation.com.  They have the 530hcx for $364, the Garmin topo program for $79, and a 2GB micro sd card for $10.  Whole package for $455.  Thought that was a pretty sweet deal for all three items and 3-day shipping was free.

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
Over Christmas Gi-Joes had them for 399.00 with and then a $75.00 mail in rebate after that.  I picked my second one up at that price, since I lost the first in Idaho I had to replace it.  Keep your eye out they go on sale.
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:34 AM »
If you want to actually load maps and not just waypoints, you will have to use Garmins Mapsource on any of their units. You can use other programs such as National Geographic's TOPO to upload waypoints or transfer waypoints from your unit to the mapping software.

If your looking for good maps, Garmin does have a 24k TOPO card that they are starting to release for a lot of states. They generally come as a two state package so for Washington you also get Oregon. Only downside to these cards is that if you erase the information you are out $100.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
I just posted another post asking for feedback on this unit.  I am looking into getting one as well.

I looked online for the best deals I could find.  The best one I came across was through PCNation.com.  They have the 530hcx for $364, the Garmin topo program for $79, and a 2GB micro sd card for $10.  Whole package for $455.  Thought that was a pretty sweet deal for all three items and 3-day shipping was free.

That is an excellent deal, hard to find better anywhere. Of course if you know someone with the software and they will share, it is cheaper that way.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
If you want to actually load maps and not just waypoints, you will have to use Garmins Mapsource on any of their units. You can use other programs such as National Geographic's TOPO to upload waypoints or transfer waypoints from your unit to the mapping software.

If your looking for good maps, Garmin does have a 24k TOPO card that they are starting to release for a lot of states. They generally come as a two state package so for Washington you also get Oregon. Only downside to these cards is that if you erase the information you are out $100.

Bought the 24k TOPO Washington/Oregon cards for my two Garmin 520Hcx's.  Used it during deer season....I like em. 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline BuckHunter23

• Scout
Re: Garmin Rino 530hcx GPS/GMRS radio
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »
I ended up placing my order through PCNation.com and received everything in a couple days.  Wow, this thing is cool.  It will definitely take me until Summer to learn everything it can do.  I definitely recommend spending the extra couple bucks for the 530, as you get the compass and altimeter.  Figure if you're paying that much for something like this, why not get one that does it all.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
Re: Garmin Rino 530hcx GPS/GMRS radio
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:37:38 AM »
I was going to buy one of these today with the topo 24k chip & pcnation did have the best price I could find. In their description of the unit they say " high sensitivity receiver     NO "  where as all the other web sites say yes. Is this a typo or is really just a cheaper unit without the high sensitivity. That's what your paying for over the other units is the high sensitivity, I'd hate to get the wrong thing. Any ideas ?  Thanks, Mike

*** Some companies call it the 530 & some the 530 hcx. But all the part #'s seem the same. I'd hate to order one & not have the high sesitivity. Those that ordered from PCnation did the 530hcx show up & what did it say in the description for receivers ? Thanks fore your help. Mike

After more investigation the same part # 010-00564-01 goes for the 530 & it can be ordered in the 530 or 530hcx format. It looks like the PCnation calls it a 530hcx but actually a 530 without high sensitivity. Amazon . com has both side by side with 530 for $ 366 & 530hcx for $ 421. One says high sesitivity receiver & other does not. ( both same part # )  Wall mart has the 530hcx high sesitivity for $ 388 & seems the best price for that one. Anyone read all this differently. I want the high sensitivity for the area I hunt.   Mike
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:42:35 AM by MIKEXRAY »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10