collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shopping for a horse.  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Shopping for a horse.
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
 Wifes dragging me up to Whatcom County tomorrow to look at a Palomino gelding she thinks she wants. Neither one of us know very much about horses. I told her to take someone up that does know horses then if it looks good to take a vet on the second trip. $2000.00 is a lot of money, especially if it's for something that won't workout. We've already got 2 "free" horses that aren't really a decent fit. I think some sweet-talker has her on the hook.  :bash:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: Shopping for a horse.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »
Choose horses on

1) Disposition and temparement
2) Physical conformation
3) Color

In that order. 
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
Choose horses on

1) Disposition and temparement
2) Physical conformation
3) Color

In that order.

I would say first you need to look at a horse that fits what you want it to do ie don't buy a dressage horse if all you want is a trail horse etc.  then Temperament, disposition, training, conformational concerns, if it passes the muster then take a vet for a soundness exam.  And then if all is idea say yay cool color on top of that.

I used to help people buy horses was one of the coolest jobs I did back in the day, always loved catching a shyster in the act.  I have a bunch of quick soundness checks I can give you but if you are really new it might not make sense.  Make sure she gets to ride the horse/and possibly also see it ridden if it is being sold as well broke or even green. 

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
Also if the horse is saddled when you get there have them unsaddle and re saddle Had one that was great for riding and good looking but everything you cinched up the girth she'd pull back and want to flip over backwards.

Also don't get all tied up with the papers or how good the blood line is . You can't ride the papers and blood line doesn't mean squat unless you're buying a mare and plan on breeding
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline aer212

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
A lot of horses are cinchy, just get the cinch so the saddle won't fall off and then trot the horse a couple circles each direction, then tighten the cinch the rest of the way.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
A lot of horses are cinchy, just get the cinch so the saddle won't fall off and then trot the horse a couple circles each direction, then tighten the cinch the rest of the way.
That is good info as long as you aren't out in the Paysayten wilderness and need to get after all the stock you let loose overnight. Me I want a horse that I can throw the saddle on cinch it down tight enough I can get on. Once on I don't care if the cinch is hanging free as long as I'm in the middle  I have had cinches loose enough you can stick your hand between the horse and the cinch.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
I would recommend taking a friend with lots of horse experience to ride and handle the horse and ask questions you wouldn't think of asking.

I like to handle the feet and tap them with a rock, saddle the horse yourself, and ride thoroughly, take note if he seems nervous when you touch him, be careful around strange horses. If I think I'm going to buy the horse I ask if I can load him in the trailer first, maybe unload and walk around and load the horse again, if he loads and does everything to my satisfaction then I buy the horse.

If the horse acts sluggish in any way don't buy him, they may have aced him to make him gentle and get the sale. I learned that the hard way:bash:

Take someone who knows horses with you to make your final decision.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline firefighter4607

• Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »
What would be the primary use of this horse? You stated you have 2 others that don't fit.

Questions I would want to know is how old, has it been broke, and make sure it hasn't been cribbing or wood chewing. What color is the horse? Lighter colored horses are more prone to sunburn, skin cancer and melanoma. We just had to put a horse down because of skin cancer.

And all the replies above are good items to do or question.

Offline Fowlweather25

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
I buy and sell as well as train horses. If you have any quetions, please call.
I will pm you my number. I would be happy to check the horse out for you. Im tired of seeing people get duped.
What would life be without the thrill of the hunt?

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
I buy and sell as well as train horses. If you have any quetions, please call.
I will pm you my number. I would be happy to check the horse out for you. Im tired of seeing people get duped.

:yeah:  perfect offer  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
I would recommend taking a friend with lots of horse experience to ride and handle the horse and ask questions you wouldn't think of asking.

I like to handle the feet and tap them with a rock, saddle the horse yourself, and ride thoroughly, take note if he seems nervous when you touch him, be careful around strange horses. If I think I'm going to buy the horse I ask if I can load him in the trailer first, maybe unload and walk around and load the horse again, if he loads and does everything to my satisfaction then I buy the horse.

If the horse acts sluggish in any way don't buy him, they may have aced him to make him gentle and get the sale. I learned that the hard way:bash:

Take someone who knows horses with you to make your final decision.  :twocents:

Absolutely on the taking a knowledgeable person part.  Even then it's a gamble any time you buy a horse.  In about six months after you figure out how to ride this horse and after the horse figures out what to expect from you, it will start to be apparent what you actually bought.  I've been feeding horses and mules for a lot of years and I've had more good ones than bad ones so I must be a little ahead of the game I guess.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
 Thanks for all the replies! I didn't state what we're (wife) is looking for in a horse. Here goes: We've got 60ac. located on a deadend road (we're 2nd from the end). Our neighbor has about 200+ acres beyond our place that we are wecome to ride. Most of the terrain is typical Western Washington (mud 8-10 months out of the year). A couple of hills, still not much gravel/rock. All wife want's to do is ride a horse around that. The one lane road to our place is chip seal gravel but we can ride off the side in the grass. Wife's 55yo and we have a 10yo granddaughter who has been taking riding lessons for 2 years and a 5yo granddaughter who just started taking riding lessons this year all Western pleasure. Our 2 "free" horses are a very,very,very old Appaloosa mare and a 14yo Arabian mare. The Arabian is a sweet (and beautiful) horse and has taken my wife 2 to 3 years to "bond" but always will be "an Arab". The 10yo granddaughter stated today that she was taking over the Arab. She rode it for 4 hours today. My wife wants a horse with minimal to no issues that is mature and she can just grab in the field,saddle up and ride around a little bit, bring back to the barn comb and groom, toss out some hay and call it a day!.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 10:45:47 PM »
Another easy thing to check, have the owners make a good size puddle with a garden hose, then see if the horse will ride through it. Sounds like you need a horse that's not too worried about water or mud. Also see if the horse will let you approach in the pasture with a lead rope in your hands. If that doesn't work make sure the horse comes to grain when you have the lead rope. Some horses will even avoid grain if they see a lead rope in your hands, I doubt if your wife wants that horse.  :chuckle:

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »
I'd be happy to tag along and check the horse out if you want.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:59 PM »
 Didn't go shopping for a horse today. Had to cancel. Father in law called this morning (in 30 years he never calls) to say MIL was in bad shape. She has Pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her liver.  Not good. Then we came home and the daughter and her family were riding our Arab mare. Daughter fell off after horse danced around due to dog disturbance. Neighbor was driving down the road and saw the whole thing and asked if I needed a gun. Told him I had one. Didn't shoot....yet. Dust has settled down around here for the day. Thanks for the offers. We aint done yet.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »
you got some good offers and sound advice

really it sounds like you need a in your pocket horse with good manners.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »
Go for a ride with friends on a horse and see what you don't want.  I'd take u for a ride on a horse that has had 30 different riders on her and U would know what u might want in a horse but if you took her home you will still need to know how to handler her without her herd around.  I live in Whatcom Co., but I own "Arabians" and a lot of people think they are crazy until you ride one of mine.  I've had a few offers to buy my Arabs but I enjoy taking people riding and can't give them up!

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:59 PM »
 KFhunter.....yes I have gotten a tremendous amount of support for this task from this forum.....from replies to private messeges. The little woman is thoroughly impressed by the amount of support shown here. We'll get there and you folk's have really helped.....Thank you.

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »
Blacktail.....PM me who is the seller of the horse.  I may know who it is and if not the Mrs may.
No, I have no interest in the horse.   :chuckle:  I/we have 5 of our own.  Last thing I need is a #6.   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal