Advertisement

Author Topic: Opener  (Read 1117 times)

Offline janttihunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/david.jantti
Opener
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:32:05 AM »
My firt day ever elk hunting. Decided to hunt my treestand where I have been getting some bulls on my cam, first 6 hours heavy rain. When it cleared up animals were moving all around me inside the timber. The wind kept changing so may have got winded. I tried calling and had  one bull come just to edge of timber about 50 yard but I didn't have a shot..learned a few things though. It's tough to hunt elk from treestand because your stuck in one spot. Also I should have set my stand up in the timber and not where I did, third don't over call. I had reactions to my cow calls but they kept getting hung up.

Offline Raul Duke

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
Re: Opener
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:48:09 AM »
Keep at it, and stay focused. Hope you fill your freezer.  :tup:
Coyote Madness 7 Stats:
Stands : 39
Kills : 3
Runners : 6
Misses : 5

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
Re: Opener
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »
The smart ones will hang up 50 yards or so out if they dont see another elk and just hear the calls. I have heard pretty decent reviews from people using those Montana pop up decoys 20-30 yards behind the caller if your alone. That is also why a lot of guys will hunt in pairs, one calls from 50 yards or so behind the shooter. If your alone and they are hanging up, get on the ground and when you call, right away rush to another hidden spot 10 yards up, and if you get a response call again and rush up and call. Vary it as you see fit but it makes him think there is another bull coming at him so he may come at you more.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal