collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anti hunters making big deal of this  (Read 15050 times)

Offline Hermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Anti hunters making big deal of this
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:37:49 PM »
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20130916/NEWS/309169980/0/news/   Legal or not I'd of exposed of the carcusses differently. This just looks disrespectfull of the geese, other hunters and gives the anti-hunting crowd ammo..... Not to mention littering. I heard this on KOMO news so it's getting some attention.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

Offline Fishnclifff

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Anti hunters making big deal of this
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
Used to see this all the time under the bridge to Stanwood from Camano Island.
Piles of ducks and geese.
Talked to the POS gamie, and he would shrug and say " yeh we know, but what ya gonna do?"
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Offline Hawgdawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Use them for dog bait. Dual purpose!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »
Any truth to the assertion that the only useable meat on a wild goose is breast meat?  I've never heard that, but I don't waterfowl hunt.

Offline richardt

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:12:26 PM »

Any truth to the assertion that the only useable meat on a wild goose is breast meat?  I've never heard that, but I don't waterfowl hunt.

Not to me, every goose I've ever caught, I roasted or stewed, and there was nothing left but bones. I've never understood it when people just breast out birds, but to each his own, I won't condemn others for their preferences. Though I'm sure often a use could be found for the rest of the meat, including feeding pet dogs etc. if the hunter truly doesn't have a taste for the rest of the goose.

Sent from my iPhone

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

That's about it for waterfowl is the breast, legs are small and fatty also very thick fatty skin like coach potatoes.  Nothing like upland birds because they run and walk to get around building up the meat in the leg areas where as waterfowl just fly or float allowing their legs a good area to store fat.  A California quail even has a very nice leg thigh combo.  I have given the waterfowl gizzard to people who eat them like candy but they end up spitting them out because nothing like the chicken kind they tell me.
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:47 PM »

That's about it for waterfowl is the breast, legs are small and fatty also very thick fatty skin like coach potatoes.  Nothing like upland birds because they run and walk to get around building up the meat in the leg areas where as waterfowl just fly or float allowing their legs a good area to store fat.  A California quail even has a very nice leg thigh combo.  I have given the waterfowl gizzard to people who eat them like candy but they end up spitting them out because nothing like the chicken kind they tell me.

Sorry but BS, BS, BS...  Brought home two gallon bags of legs that the three d-bags I was hunting with threw away from a weekend's hunt.  Toss those babies in a slow cooker and you have a pile of meat.  Goose legs are 4X bigger, so yes they are wasting game IMO.  Pheasant legs are much tougher, for the very reason you give, they are running around using those muscles and have much bigger tendons running through them.  There is very little "fat" on a duck's legs, what there is, just pull off when you clean them.

I have absolutely NO RESPECT for a waterfowl hunter that does not take the legs!!!!   :bash:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

Brought home two gallon bags of legs that the three d-bags I was hunting with threw away from a weekend's hunt.  Toss those babies in a slow cooker and you have a pile of meat.  Goose legs are 4X bigger, so yes they are wasting game IMO.  Pheasant legs are much tougher, for the very reason you give, they are running around using those muscles and have much bigger tendons running through them.  There is very little "fat" on a duck's legs, what there is, just pull off when you clean them.

That makes sense.  Have butchered some domestic ducks and did not recall there being nothing but bones and fat.

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 05:47:11 AM »

Sorry but BS, BS, BS...  Brought home two gallon bags of legs that the three d-bags I was hunting with threw away from a weekend's hunt.  Toss those babies in a slow cooker and you have a pile of meat.  Goose legs are 4X bigger, so yes they are wasting game IMO.  Pheasant legs are much tougher, for the very reason you give, they are running around using those muscles and have much bigger tendons running through them.  There is very little "fat" on a duck's legs, what there is, just pull off when you clean them.

I have absolutely NO RESPECT for a waterfowl hunter that does not take the legs!!!!   :bash:

:yeah:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:21 AM »
At the very least... if you don't want the rest of the birds, throw them in the garbage.
I'm willing to bet local law enforcement are waiting for the people who did this to step forward and claim responsibility, just so they can make an example out of them... at the very least, it's a littering ticket. But come on, these are the kind of people that make the rest of us look bad.
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »

Nope.  I've eaten many goose legs (ducks as well) in the past.  We used to jerky them on the bone and throw them in our pockets for the next hunt.  Nothing like gnawing on last week's goose when you're waiting for this week's goose to decoy in.

Not taking the legs of geese is a bit wasteful, IMHO.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
Found a whole bunch hanging from the fence by the potholes a couple years ago.   BRILLIANT, since birders go out there too

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »

Nope.  I've eaten many goose legs (ducks as well) in the past.  We used to jerky them on the bone and throw them in our pockets for the next hunt.  Nothing like gnawing on last week's goose when you're waiting for this week's goose to decoy in.

Not taking the legs of geese is a bit wasteful, IMHO.

I agree with all of you guys.  Goose legs are tailor made for the slow cooker, add some teryaki sauce or Frank's Hot Sauce and let them cook.  Outstanding!

It's lazy to not take goose legs.  It's even lazier to not throw the carcasses in your garbage can at home.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »
For you hunters that like the waterfowl legs like the skin of the bird as well because they taste about the same IMO?  Duck  or goose skin is bad. 
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:05:31 AM »
well I am happy he explained it to these people that the breast meat is all that's edible on Fowl ...unless you like eating  Head ..legs and feathers  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal