collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lake Kapowsin  (Read 16100 times)

Offline RavensdaleYoungBuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Lake Kapowsin
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
This is my fav local spot lol, we go there every weekend we dont travel for duck :) shoot me a PM and i will answer some questions if i can
Hey,
Just wondering if anybody has hunted lake Kapowsin in Pierce County. It looks like a nice lake and is legal to shoot at. Let me know if anyone has any info.
Thanks

I would be cool taking a hunting group out there. Hit the south end blind early

i think maybe all 3 of us can go out sometime i think that would be cool haha

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »
Tweakers hit the rigs at the launch pretty hard from what I have heard.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »
I've hunted it quite a few times over the years. It gets better as season progresses especially for bluebills. The lake has a 5mph speed limit and for good reason. Obey the speed limit and use your head and you'll be fine, even in the dark. 5mph is like a fast walk.  My biggest complaint about Kapowsin is that it always has a couple of sky blasters that ruin the day for everyone else on the whole lake. Be safe and courteous with your shooting and remember that your shooting is spooking the birds circling the other hunters around you. Knowing this, only shoot at birds in lethal range over your decoys. Most of the hunters are on the same end of the lake.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »
Lots of thieve's out there breaking into cars... I mean LOTS.  Don't leave anything valuable in your vehicles.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Andrew8235

• Tracker
  • Groups: DU, NRA
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
Lots of thieve's out there breaking into cars... I mean LOTS.  Don't leave anything valuable in your vehicles.
I've hunted it quite a few times over the years. It gets better as season progresses especially for bluebills. The lake has a 5mph speed limit and for good reason. Obey the speed limit and use your head and you'll be fine, even in the dark. 5mph is like a fast walk.  My biggest complaint about Kapowsin is that it always has a couple of sky blasters that ruin the day for everyone else on the whole lake. Be safe and courteous with your shooting and remember that your shooting is spooking the birds circling the other hunters around you. Knowing this, only shoot at birds in lethal range over your decoys. Most of the hunters are on the same end of the lake.

:dunno:
never had an issue there with being broken into...idk if you are leaving you wallet on the front seat lol but i have never had an issue, i've heard of some break in's but its not quite that rampid  :twocents:

Offline buckhunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
Lots of stumps, very few birds passing threw and lots of vehicles get broke into.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
Last time I was at the launch at least 2 rigs were broken into while I was there and there was window glass evrywhere in the lot.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline akirkland

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Sounds like we need to hide at the launch and go tweeker hunting instead.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:24 PM »

:dunno:
never had an issue there with being broken into...idk if you are leaving you wallet on the front seat lol but i have never had an issue, i've heard of some break in's but its not quite that rampid  :twocents:
I've never been broken into either. But the word travels fast. Its infamous for thieves. Unless you can access from the opposite side of the lake or private land. I wouldnt even park my vehicle personally. We used to fish there but after coming back and seeing glass all over and vehicles shattered time and time again, On top of hearing about other people seeing it on different occasions. Its not worth it to me.  The trout fishing is great. If you can get a boat go off the dock and head to the most western corner and do figure 8's with pink and silver wedding rings and about 50 feet of line trolling behind you on low. Never had a problem reaching a limit of good size fish up to 18 inchs.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
the number one reason to avoid kapowsin is the crime.  last time I was there was mid day on a sunday when it was packed, (maybe a month or two ago) that's about the only time I go anymore, many eyes. I parked over fresh broken window glass and wondered if more would be there when I returned.

I've shot all kinds of ducks and some Canada's on Kapow. numbers are weak, but if you want a really beautiful buffie, you'll find one there mid to late season.

the stumps exist. go very slow, oar speed, and you'll be OK, but be wise and careful.

all in all, its not the best hunting, but its a place if you have nowhere better to be.  :twocents:

Offline ballstothewaal

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • PLU soccer player and weekend duck/big game hunter
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, RMEF
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
I hunt Kapowsin at least once a week. Lots of Bufflehead, Mergansers, and other diver ducks. I usually see a few groups of Mallards and wigeon early in the morning. Never pulled a limit but I hardly ever leave there with nothing!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
bring your waders and go jump shoot the apple orchard to the south end of the lake, i dont beleive that part is hancock but check to be sure  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline krapmit

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
I live in orting and all the public launches get hit often around here. I would leave your doors unlocked and take out anything of value. A lot of windows get bashed out. Happened to a buddy this summer

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 07:21:14 AM »
I live in orting and all the public launches get hit often around here. I would leave your doors unlocked and take out anything of value. A lot of windows get bashed out. Happened to a buddy this summer

is the private launch (erikson i think?) finally closed for good? I was there this summer and they were open but I heard they closed shortly after. for 0'dark:thirty hunting I"d prefer to only park there I think.

Offline bowhunter851

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
im down to take a trip to kapowson
Jon Henderson

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal