collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alpine lakes high hunt  (Read 7492 times)

Offline abhold87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Alpine lakes high hunt
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:09:42 PM »
Just got back from our high hunt trip. Turned more into a sight seeing camping trip then a hunt. It was the land of blaze orange people up there  :bash:.  I have been trying to start a new tradition with some army buddies and family to go to a new area every year for the high hunt. The place we chose this year ended up having around 15 different hunters. Felt kinda bad for  the guys that have been hunting that area for years since we were apparently the 11th new people up there this year. Hopefully someone posts pictures of the 4x9 mulie that got taken. In the end it was nice to see some new area and had a fun trip. Congrats to all the guys that got a buck!!!
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Alpine lakes high hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
How far in were you?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Pretty much what the high hunt has turned into.......
Go hawks

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:19:56 AM »
 :yeah:

A 4x9, that sounds like a cool buck, hopefully the pics show up on here at some point. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
Thats a bummer. I remember hunting the Alpine in the mid 90's and I thought it was crowded if I saw more than two other people.

Offline abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »
How far in were you?
we only went in maybe 3 1/2 miles up some steep country though. still not far enough to get away from everyone. I kind of expected it, just didn't think that there would be that many people though. to make a long story short I took a guy that thought he could do more then he actually could so a 3hr to 4hr hike up turned into a 1 day and one morning 10 1/2hr hike.  :bash: Being up there and seeing a new area was worth it though.
The pursuit of happiness is best spent In the outdoors doing manly stuff like killing things or fishing.

Offline abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »
:yeah:

A 4x9, that sounds like a cool buck, hopefully the pics show up on here at some point.

From what his hunting buddy was saying its a typical 4 on the left side and the right side drops down like a club and has 9 points kicking off of it. we were going to stop by his camp on the hike out but just wanted to get down to the truck so we could get a burger and a beer

Offline brocka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
Your group of 6 was the talk of the area that's for sure. I was impressed with the size of the backpacks you guys were lugging around.

Offline Nape.257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
We hunted the Alpine Lakes only saw one hunter on his way out and two hunter on horses on there way in.

Three of use hiked 11 miles in the first day to a canyon we hadn't hunted be for no luck but was a fun trip.

Offline LittleHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:57 AM »
Hey Eric you should have let me know you were heading up there I would have went with. I hunted up there last year and seen some decent bucks but not what I was looking for. Didn't go this year and was bumbed out about it. The area I went in to last year I didn't really see that many hunters just two different horse groups. Give me a call some time and we will plan some hunts.
Whack em and stack em

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »
The area I usually hunt was over taken by some horse hunters from Easton.This arrogant guy comes up there and in just a little time starts bragging about all the animals he has shot in the different states & sheep, and moose in Wa. Plops their camp just a short distance from mine. Public land but it's like come on.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline LittleHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 05:39:57 AM »
I had the same thing last year but the two guys with the horses we pretty cool guys and they set their camp about 400 yard away from mine. I really didn't mind it cause I went n solo that year and they offered it I was to shoot something they would pack it back to my camp for me and I wasn't going to argue with that.
Whack em and stack em

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 05:47:24 AM »
Sounds like you had a better experience than I did.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline BsB

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »
Had 2 jet fighters fly through, no more than 200' above my head Saturday morning around 11:30. That was intense. I thought the mountain was gonna blow.

Offline abhold87

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Your group of 6 was the talk of the area that's for sure. I was impressed with the size of the backpacks you guys were lugging around.
There was only 4 of us  :tup: we had 2 hikers end up camping next to us on Friday night though. they ended up hiking out with us on Saturday. The female German exchange student jumped into the lake in her bikini when we were hiking back to camp Friday night which was a sight to see :IBCOOL:. We definitely packed in to much but kinda had to since we had to have all that extra stuff for the one guy that went up into that area with only tshirts, jeans, work boots, and a sleeping bag. needles to say he wont be going again.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]