collapse
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR GPS MAP Advertise on Hunting-Washington

Author Topic: ATV's legal on country roads in WA  (Read 4172 times)

Offline medic6

• Hunter
ATV's legal on country roads in WA
« on: September 23, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but a new bill passed 1632 allowing ATV on county roads with speed limits less then 35 mph in WA.  Thought you all would like to know.  Details to follow. 

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
Re: ATV's legal on country roads in WA
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
They actually passed a law several years ago that supposedly did the same thing. But in reality, nothing seemed to change.   :dunno:

Offline elkaholic123

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
I read through Washington House Bill 1632. Here my summary as I understand it:

The bill will require a metal license plate, same size as a motor cycle plate, “Restricted Vehicle” across the top, with room on the lower left corner for the “Off Road” tab and on the lower right for the “On Road” tab, if applied for. You must have the off road tab.

It defines a “wheeled all-terrain vehicles” as:
A motorized non-highway vehicle, with handlebars, is 50” or less in width, has a seat height of at least 20”, weighs less than 1500 pounds and has 4 tires having a of 30” or less. This sounds like an ATV to me.

OR
A utility type vehicle designed for and capable of travel over designated roads, that travels on four or more low pressure tires of 20 psi or less, has a maximum width less that 74”, has a maximum weight of less than 2000 pounds, has a wheel base of 110” or less, and satisfies at least ONE of the following: minimum width of 50 inches, minimum weight of at least 900 pounds, or has a wheelbase of at least 61”. The RZR fits here.

You must have a valid driver’s license.
Can only operated on roads having a speed limit of 35mph or less.
Equipment required:
Headlights
Taillights
Stoplights
Turn signals during darkness (and signals OK during daylight)
2 mirrors for UTV, one for ATV
Goggles/glasses/face shield OR windshield
Horn
Spark arrestor
Seat belts for RZR
Documentation of a safety inspector performed by dealer/repair shop (can’t cost more than $50)
A release signed by the operator/owner relieving US/state/county/city from liability
If not enclosed or doesn’t have a “roll bar” you must wear a helmet.

You may not operate a “wheeled all-terrain vehicle” on a public roadway in a city with a pop of 15,000 or more. The city of less than 15,000 pop may designate roads that can not be used by “wheeled all-terrain vehicles”.

If passed, the bill will become effective Mar 1, 2014.

My comments:
The bill establishes a path for registering a RZR as street legal in Washington State.
The bill will provide far greater riding opportunities, since most National Forrest is Washington require vehicles to be street legal to operate on NF roads except those few (very few in western WA) specifically designated for UTVs.

I am contacting the authors of House Bill 1632 and my local legislator to express my interest in seeing this bill becoming law.
elkaholic

Offline Fester

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Increased ATV/UTV Access

The bill creates a new class of recreational vehicle (a wheeled all-terrain vehicle, or WATV) and provides motorized access to public lands while promoting responsible riding practices.

We want to clarify that the intent is to increase motorized access to public lands in rural areas, meaning trail connectivity, USFS roads, and remote/primitive roads -- not major metro areas!

Effective 7/28/2013, the mandatory ORV registration decal will be replaced by a motorcycle-sized metal identification plate which must be displayed on the rear of all registered ORVs and UTVs (side-by-sides).
An off-road tab will be issued to you; it must be affixed to the metal plate and renewed annually.
The metal plate must be replaced every 7 years for a nominal fee.
Adults with a driver’s license will have the option to register their ATV or UTV for restricted on-road use for an additional fee of $12, which will go into a new Highway Safety Account. Funds in this new account will be used to offset road/trail signage, education and law enforcement. A brightly-colored on-road tab will be issued; it must be affixed to the metal identification plate and renewed annually.
Safety equipment is necessary for this license:

ATVs

Two Headlights
One tail/stop lamp
Turn signals for use after dark
Reflectors
One handlebar mirror providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield are worn)
A horn
Brakes in working order
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

UTVs

Two headlights
Two tail/stop lights
Reflectors
Two mirrors providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield(s) are worn
A horn
Brakes in working order
Seatbelts
A spark arrestor and muffling device (86 db limit on the “A” scale; SAE test procedure J 331a)

A dealer/repair shop safety inspection (with $50 fee) and liability release are also required.
The DoL may develop and implement an online safety training course for people that register WATVs for on-road use.
Will you be able to ride everywhere? No, but cities, towns, counties or any state agency may regulate the operation of WATVs on public lands under their jurisdiction and on streets, roads or highways within their boundaries.
In counties with a population of 15,000 or less, public roads with a speed limit of 35mph or less are automatically open to WATVs with the on-road tab (Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Skamania and Wahkiakum counties).
The legislative body of these counties can designate roadways or highways unsuitable for use by WATVs; these must be listed publicly and made accessible from the main page of the county website.
All counties with a population of 15,000 or more may, by ordinance, approve the operation of WATVs on public roadways with a speed limit of 35mph or less.
The legislative body of a city or town with a population of less than 3,000 persons may, by ordinance, designate a street or highway within its boundaries to be suitable for use by WATVs.
Public roadways designated either open or closed on January 1, 2013 remain either open or closed.
In short, control is given to local management: cities, towns, counties or state agencies. There are restrictions on riding on and crossing state highways. Public lands/roads are not forced open, and there’s nothing in the bill that opens private property or private roads.

Very soon USFS roads open to the public <35mph will be open to WATVs with on-road registration – opening thousands of miles to WATVs! Please be patient with the USFS as they adapt to this new rule.

We will also need to work with local managers to open roads/trails; these folks have experience and can help:
CBORVC: Larry Smith; Skamania & Cowlitz counties: Mike Hayden; King and Snohomish counties: Ted Jackson; Pierce & Thurston counties: Gary Johnson; Spokane area: Gary Prewitt

The bill leaves all provisions of "the Hinkle Bill" intact (RCW 46.09.360 and RCW 46.09.450).
The bill cites existing ATV legislation about how and where you can ride (Chapter 46.09 RCW). For years, it has been illegal to trespass, create new trails or "ride in such a manner as to unreasonably expose the underlying soil, creating erosion or injuring trees, crops or other vegetation."
The bill does waive the police presence rule, though, meaning that an officer doesn’t have to witness a violation in order to cite you for it. If someone can provide conclusive evidence (such as videos or photos) tying you to an infraction then you can be cited, and the metal identification plate helps identify you and your WATV.
Violations are considered traffic infractions.
The penalty for false reporting is a gross misdemeanor, and carries a stronger penalty than a traffic infraction (RCW 9A.20.010 and RCW 9A.84.040).
Ride responsibly! Stay on roads/trails and out of water; don’t trespass; don’t damage natural resources!
Here's the bill: ESHB 1632

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Q. Do you have to have insurance on your vehicle?
A. No. Motorcycles aren’t required to be insured, so the argument was made that WATVs shouldn’t be required to have insurance, either. We think insurance is a good idea, though…

Q. Will your WATV need a Discover Pass?
A. No, but your tow vehicle better have one if you are on lands that require it.

This is the legislation to the best of our knowledge; we anticipate some hiccups as this rolls out. We assume no liability for inaccuracies and will continue to post information/FAQs here.

Offline C-Money

• V10 Advocate
  • Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Accuracy is Final
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
Cool! Sounds like a few hoops to jump threw to get the on road use, but probably worth it!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline MP123

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
I spoke with several people recently in the Chelan Co. Sheriffs Office and no one had heard of this.  They all said that ORV use was illegal on county roads and they'd issue tickets.

I think it's a good law (for once) but be careful, I don't think agencies are aware of it yet and you might still have problems...

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
This was ther part I wanted to see
Looks like I'll need to add a headlight,turn signals and horn
And WHO qualifies to do THIS.......... 
A dealer/repair shop safety inspection (with $50 fee) and liability release are also required         

Increased ATV/UTV Access

The bill creates a new class of recreational vehicle (a wheeled all-terrain vehicle, or WATV) and provides motorized access to public lands while promoting responsible riding practices.

We want to clarify that the intent is to increase motorized access to public lands in rural areas, meaning trail connectivity, USFS roads, and remote/primitive roads -- not major metro areas!

Effective 7/28/2013, the mandatory ORV registration decal will be replaced by a motorcycle-sized metal identification plate which must be displayed on the rear of all registered ORVs and UTVs (side-by-sides).
An off-road tab will be issued to you; it must be affixed to the metal plate and renewed annually.
The metal plate must be replaced every 7 years for a nominal fee.
Adults with a driver’s license will have the option to register their ATV or UTV for restricted on-road use for an additional fee of $12, which will go into a new Highway Safety Account. Funds in this new account will be used to offset road/trail signage, education and law enforcement. A brightly-colored on-road tab will be issued; it must be affixed to the metal identification plate and renewed annually.
Safety equipment is necessary for this license:

ATVs

Two Headlights
One tail/stop lamp
Reflectors
One handlebar mirror providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield are worn)
A horn
Brakes in working order

UTVs

Two headlights
Two tail/stop lights
Reflectors
Two mirrors providing a complete view of the highway for a distance of 200 ft.
A windshield (unless goggles or face shield(s) are worn
A horn
Brakes in working order
Seatbelts

A dealer/repair shop safety inspection (with $50 fee) and liability release are also required.

Blue Ribbon Coalition
SAWS
WSSA
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!
 GO 'HAWKS!!!

Offline hunter360

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
There is already a law in place kind of like the one you are describing but it is per county discretion. Republic Wa. is already doing it from what I was told.
Liberalism is a mental disease

Fighting terrorism one liberal at a time

Offline stuckalot

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
I spoke with several people recently in the Chelan Co. Sheriffs Office and no one had heard of this.  They all said that ORV use was illegal on county roads and they'd issue tickets.

I think it's a good law (for once) but be careful, I don't think agencies are aware of it yet and you might still have problems...

Chelan county commissioners are scheduling a meeting to gather input on this issue. It is my understanding that this bill ALLOWS counties and cities to open roads to atv's if they choose to. So it will be on a county by county basis.
I am free only because thousands of brave Americans have given their lives for me...

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
I read through Washington House Bill 1632. Here my summary as I understand it:
. . .

Ah! The land of the free!

Offline WA hunter14

• Off-Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:57:13 PM »
atvs and snow mobiles are legal in conconelly city limits

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Member of the "Poo Crew" and all around "Fat Guy"
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 04:33:39 PM »
Remember, this is a per county basis, and the Forest Service roads are not run by the county.

It will still be illegal on FS roads  :bash:
Gasman

Yes, I am a Elkoholic
And i drive a "Barbie Jeep"

Offline NOCK NOCK

• TimberDog
  • Site Ad Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
I am going to get a facebook page going for people to sign, kinda like a petition, to urge Chelan County to open more roads. will post link soon

Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Willys-Custom-Log-Furniture/244267748959697

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

* Recent Topics

WOLVES IN THE RIMROCK UNIT by tluns
[Today at 10:09:15 PM]

Re: Word Association Game by Seahawk12
[Today at 10:07:32 PM]

Cameron Hanes Wannabe by RadSav
[Today at 10:06:00 PM]

F/S Handi rifle trade option added by Harleysboss
[Today at 10:03:09 PM]