collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ridgefield draws  (Read 3164 times)

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Ridgefield draws
« on: September 27, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »
Got the postcard in the mail.

05   10/12    :IBCOOL:

The govt better not shut down!

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ridgefield draws
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »
I have only hunted there once- probably ten years or so ago. Neat place. I had a #1 draw in late October/ early November if I remember correctly. I know that goose was closed. Too bad, we were literally swallowed up by cacklers. It was pretty cool to see so many of them basically landing on us all morning. We did ok- maybe five birds a piece, mostly mallards with a few teal mixed in. The biggest thing to jump out at me was the shear number of spoonies? What is it about that place they like so much? I have never seen that many in one general area. I would guess as far as ducks went, every other bird we saw that day was a spoonie.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
Got the postcard in the mail.

05   10/12    :IBCOOL:

The govt better not shut down!

I hear you about the fed gov.  I have a #1 and #2 while a buddy has a #4 pick this year at Burbank.
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Fishnclifff

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
Well I missed the first deadline for app's. Into the lottery I go.

They have tried to pump out some of the water to get more mallard, teal and pintail in there.
The greenies and the budget masters won't let them spend the money to pump water.
So the spoonies and diver ducks are taking over.
I went during the off season and there was a ton of spoonies nesting there now.
Spoonies-- the other green head.
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Just got mine too!  01. 10/29!   Cant wait the season is fast approaching!

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
I have 01 on 10/15

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
I personally think the WDFW needs to look at Ridgefeild as the model on how to transform Ebey Island unit. I have hunted at Ridgefeild several times ALL of wich were great expereinces and i left with at least acouple of ducks everytime... I'm not picky if it legal its dead...

Ebey Could be a Gem for everything from duck hunting, phesant hunting, and even thier favorite..... Watchable wildlife....

I loved Ridgefeild because  even tho i didin't alwasy get drawn, or get "the" spot, I had a good time and only needed a few decoys, chest waders and a shotgun.  IF WDFW wanted MORE duck hunters they would do what they could to design an area like ridgefeild.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:57 PM »

I personally think the WDFW needs to look at Ridgefeild as the model on how to transform Ebey Island unit. I have hunted at Ridgefeild several times ALL of wich were great expereinces and i left with at least acouple of ducks everytime... I'm not picky if it legal its dead...

Ebey Could be a Gem for everything from duck hunting, phesant hunting, and even thier favorite..... Watchable wildlife....

I loved Ridgefeild because  even tho i didin't alwasy get drawn, or get "the" spot, I had a good time and only needed a few decoys, chest waders and a shotgun.  IF WDFW wanted MORE duck hunters they would do what they could to design an area like ridgefeild.  :twocents:

The model should be Sauvie Is not ridgefeild. Ridgefeild is a joke by comparison.

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »

The model should be Sauvie Is not ridgefeild. Ridgefeild is a joke by comparison.
:yeah:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
Well that may be I have not hunted Sauvie island... What are the main differences that make it better?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »
Well that may be I have not hunted Sauvie island... What are the main differences that make it better?

Night and day difference.  Sauvies Isalnd plants it for the birds.  Ridgefield leaves it all natural.  They roost at Ridgefield in many cases and then as soon as it starts getting light they head directly across the river to feed at Sauvies.  Also Ridgefield Refuge system keeps everything natural and only hunt a portion of the land they own.  It's a big roosting area except for the hunting portion.  Most of Sauvies is planted for duck and geese.  Lots of old clubs, high dollar leases and a large rufuge system that hunts every other day vs. a few days a week at Ridgefield.  Sauvies is planted with lots of corn, millet, rice, etc for the birds.  A few years ago I looked at the harvest numbers and the Sauvies Refuge was at about 16,000 birds and Ridgefield was at about 2,400 birds harvested.  I would bet a good portion of those were smiling mallards.   :chuckle:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Fishnclifff

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
I have talked to the staff about planting at Ridge.
He said the bird watchers and local residents throw fits when they bring it up. They say we just want to murder more of their birds.
They said they are required to maintain the natural habitat.
They also claim the soil is contaminated with cow poop, so nothing will grow there. :o
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:54 PM »
OK so do some planting on Ebey island... Thats what i was thinking anyway...

Confucius

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »

I have talked to the staff about planting at Ridge.
He said the bird watchers and local residents throw fits when they bring it up. They say we just want to murder more of their birds.
They said they are required to maintain the natural habitat.
They also claim the soil is contaminated with cow poop, so nothing will grow there. :o

There is a lot more to it then that. Look up the charter for Ridgefield NWR. The charter lays the ground work for they can and cannot do. I believe the charter states that natural habitat is to be restored/maintained wherever possible. The charter also lays out the ground work for the blinds, hunt schedule and so on.

The previous manager was very informative when it came to changes and what was possible. I don't think you will see any positive change under the new manager.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »

Night and day difference.  Sauvies Isalnd plants it for the birds.  Ridgefield leaves it all natural.  They roost at Ridgefield in many cases and then as soon as it starts getting light they head directly across the river to feed at Sauvies.  Also Ridgefield Refuge system keeps everything natural and only hunt a portion of the land they own.  It's a big roosting area except for the hunting portion.  Most of Sauvies is planted for duck and geese.  Lots of old clubs, high dollar leases and a large rufuge system that hunts every other day vs. a few days a week at Ridgefield.  Sauvies is planted with lots of corn, millet, rice, etc for the birds.  A few years ago I looked at the harvest numbers and the Sauvies Refuge was at about 16,000 birds and Ridgefield was at about 2,400 birds harvested.  I would bet a good portion of those were smiling mallards.   :chuckle:

Birds per hunter is the best comparison. Sauvies has 150 blinds? 4 guys per? Great system for sure. It also still maintains a lot of natural habitat and a large non hunt able refuge area.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]