collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: FR 1501 Little Rattlesnake  (Read 10689 times)

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: FR 1501 Little Rattlesnake
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »
I have been involved in a few road decomissioning projects, usually cost way more to tear em out than it did to build it in the first place! The forest service and their engineering dept. leaves alot to be desired. One thing I have noticed is the rapid failure of forest service roads the last few years, the private sector timber roads don't fail nearly as often or to the extremes that federal roads do. I am thinking they need to re visit their maint. policy, and ounce of prevention!
go ahead on er.

Offline turbo

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »
We all are entitled to our own opinions. If I want to access the top half, I will drive around to the top. It doesn't matter to me. The little rattlesnake is fun to bike and hike right now as it is. I love being with no other traffic on the road. It is useless to the forest service so they are loosing money if the fix it and loosing money if they tear it apart. I sure hope I draw a bethel tag. It will keep the lazy people out and make the hunting that much better.

So it's all about you huh? How about we close all roads by your mentality?

I did draw a big bull Bethel tag last year and the little rattlesnake road was great. In and out in 15 min to camp and if you have a trailer in there and it snows, it's the best safe way out. We were really wishing it was doable with a trailer but it was trucks only. It's barely even bad, the only thing bad was the dirt pile the *censored*es built. I will continue to drive that road until they decommission it to satisfy the greenies...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:29 AM »
Don't be angry with him, guys. He's not the one who decided to shut it down. Besides, if it makes sense economically I really don't blame the Forest service. We complain all the time about wasted money and excessive government spending, yet when they do something like this to save money in the long run, people still complain. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Offline firepin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
We all are entitled to our own opinions. If I want to access the top half, I will drive around to the top. It doesn't matter to me. The little rattlesnake is fun to bike and hike right now as it is. I love being with no other traffic on the road. It is useless to the forest service so they are loosing money if the fix it and loosing money if they tear it apart. I sure hope I draw a bethel tag. It will keep the lazy people out and make the hunting that much better.

I did draw a big bull Bethel tag last year and the little rattlesnake road was great. In and out in 15 min to camp and if you have a trailer in there and it snows, it's the best safe way out. We were really wishing it was doable with a trailer but it was trucks only. It's barely even bad, the only thing bad was the dirt pile the *censored*es built. I will continue to drive that road until they decommission it to satisfy the greenies...

I came down 1501 Saturday,  2 rock slides now. One kinda big. Probably 4wd only now.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
Looking at the sat photos its hard to not agree with the FS decision to not keep this road open.

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »

I came down 1501 Saturday,  2 rock slides now. One kinda big. Probably 4wd only now.

Have to agree, unless your truck is lifted a little plan on the bottom of the doors hitting a few rocks on that slide. 4 door F350 Ford 4X4 made it over  and a newer Chevy Crew Cab had to turn back due to no ground clearance.

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
Part of United Nations Agenda 21, it falls in line with the "rewilding project". The feds and the state are on board.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
Don't be angry with him, guys. He's not the one who decided to shut it down. Besides, if it makes sense economically I really don't blame the Forest service. We complain all the time about wasted money and excessive government spending, yet when they do something like this to save money in the long run, people still complain. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Anybody have an update now that it's been closed a few years?  Think it actually saved any money?  Think it helped the elk?  USFS just published a new topo map in 2016, and in doing some planning for summer scouting, I noticed that the latest-and-greatest map still shows little rattlesnake rd as if it's open.  I guess those little road block symbols are hard to add...

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »

This is just another lockout of the public from public land.  We own that land! 

nothing said you cant still go in htat area did it? just cant drive in there. sounds like public can still access it all they want.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
There's roads on the map that have been gone 20+ years and show as still existing.

There's a nice trail being erected by the public up it. It actually is looking kind of nice seeing the creek take over again.

Offline arifleman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
I have hunted up there for years.  There was no more ecological damage occurring from that road than from any number of other forest service or state roads.  I don't know how long that road was there but my granddaddy used to drive it to elk camp and he's been dead for a couple decades now. 

This is just another example of Presidential priorities filtering down through the federal depts.  IIRC, the initial cost estimates for repair of this "100 year" flood damage on the 1501 rd was $50k; the cost of permanent closure and road bed removal was $500k.  I have no doubt it would have been a different priority and outcome under the current administration.

Don't let your government divide us on questions of access to our hunting and recreation areas. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]