collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: mcnary closed?  (Read 9082 times)

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
mcnary closed?
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »
so is mcnary wildlife refuge in Burbank closed do to the shutdown?  or is it closed only to the permit hunts? are the areas that don't require permits closed too?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:30:24 AM by BIGINNER »
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline steve04

• Scout
Re: mcnary closed?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:26:46 AM »
tag

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »
Maybe try giving the refuge a call. While they do not have a full staff, they should have at least the manager there (I know Ridgefield does). Ridgefield has a voicemail indicating they will call back when the shutdown ends, but I think the manager also checks it as they provided that phone number to my wife when calling to inform me the refuge (Ridgefield) will be closed opening day.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »
All land in the McNary wildlife refuge is closed.  Meaning all units run by McNary; Pennisula, Two Rivers, the fee unit and everything else.  All gates are locked and signs posted.  All websites are shut down as well it seems.
This is what I have been told.  Take it however you will.

There are going to be a ton of mad hunters come saturday morning.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
so what will happen if say,... someone I know hunts there?  :chuckle:   
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline tr122

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
I work by the refuge and it is closed along with Two Rivers, Penisula Unit, Burbank Sloughs, etcetera.  There signs up and gates locked.

I tried to get answers on whether or not the Snake River Army Corps of Engineers HMU's were open or not, so I drove out and checked them out.  Big Flat and Lost Island were open, so we have that at least.

Offline tr122

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »

I don't know if state or county guys can cite/arrest you for trespassing on fed land or not.  I wouldn't risk it.

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 07:43:59 AM »
I have been told a number of different things, but not sure which is true or not.  Tresspass and closed hunting tickets to nothing at all.  It could be a realllllllly long walk around closed gates to get to the spots to be given a ticket and have to walk all the way back. 

Offline tr122

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:29 AM »
Anyone know about areas around Finley?  I heard Toothaker burned up.  Anyone know about Hoover Park?

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »
Toothaker is a barren wasteland from the fire this summer.
Hoover Park I am not to sure of at the moment.

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:51:12 AM »
I have been told a number of different things, but not sure which is true or not.  Tresspass and closed hunting tickets to nothing at all.  It could be a realllllllly long walk around closed gates to get to the spots to be given a ticket and have to walk all the way back.

Wonder if they can confiscate the firearm as well? Think, at least for some citations, they technically can take your firearm and hold it as collateral until you pay the fine. And if that's the case, I wonder how long it would really be before you're able to get it back...

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »

Wonder if they can confiscate the firearm as well? Think, at least for some citations, they technically can take your firearm and hold it as collateral until you pay the fine. And if that's the case, I wonder how long it would really be before you're able to get it back...

I would assume since thats always been the case/risk with any wildlife violation, especially fed stuff like migratory birds.  No telling what would actually happen this time with the shutdown, a risk some will take for sure and others won't. 

Offline tr122

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »

Ugh, not worth the risk.  I have some FFTH honey holes I'm going to have to use for duck until the fed opens back up.

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »

I would assume since thats always been the case/risk with any wildlife violation, especially fed stuff like migratory birds.  No telling what would actually happen this time with the shutdown, a risk some will take for sure and others won't.

Considering how painful this administration seems to want to make this shutdown on people, particularly those generally opposed to him, I don't think I would want to risk it...

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
I live next to toothaker,.. and its burned up, and they're not releasing pheasants there anymore either because of the fire.
as far as hover goes,... I had no idea you could hunt there.  :dunno:

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »
so,.. the fed shutdown shouldn't affect pheasant releases, right?  :dunno:

Offline tr122

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:42 AM »

so,.. the fed shutdown shouldn't affect pheasant releases, right?  :dunno:

I called the state, they are still releasing pheasants.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »

I don't know if state or county guys can cite/arrest you for trespassing on fed land or not.  I wouldn't risk it.

Its our land!! Enough of the BS. We pay taxes to use the land, therefore I would hubt it... 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
I would hubt it...

Sounds kinky, I dont think these boys are into that.

Offline tr122

• Tracker
mcnary closed?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »

Its our land!! Enough of the BS. We pay taxes to use the land, therefore I would hubt it...

I agree with your sentiment, but not with your conclusion.

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:39 AM »
I would hubt it...

Sounds kinky, I dont think these boys are into that.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: 

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
Hunt!! Ha ha

Just irks me that we have to jump through hoops cause this whole mess!!! 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

The Whiners suck!!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »
Hunt!! Ha ha

I agree, it sucks.   I just cant afford to risk any financial consequnces at this stage in life. 

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 08:35:35 AM »
Hunt!! Ha ha

I agree, it sucks.   I just cant afford to risk any financial consequnces at this stage in life.

My STATE land spot is open!!! :chuckle:

The Whiners suck!!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:31 AM »
Hunt!! Ha ha

Have you looked lately, are there ducks there?
You're going to be out elk/deer hunting aren't you?  I wouldnt hunt that spot unless you were there.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »

Would not be hunting, that would be poaching if the land is closed.  Nothing funny about trying to poach when the person knows it is wrong.

I suspect state gamies will be looking to give out some easy tickets on opening day or the sheriff giving out tresspassing tickets as well.  We can gripe all we want about our land but for a duck not worth it.  Also just because its our land doesn't give you access to it.  Not like we can show up at the White House to have a BBQ with friends and family on the 4th of July. 

Lets start using some common sense here hunters and use this site for hunting and shooting sports, not to commit crime.   
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »

Would not be hunting, that would be poaching if the land is closed.  Nothing funny about trying to poach when the person knows it is wrong.

I suspect state gamies will be looking to give out some easy tickets on opening day or the sheriff giving out tresspassing tickets as well.  We can gripe all we want about our land but for a duck not worth it.  Also just because its our land doesn't give you access to it.  Not like we can show up at the White House to have a BBQ with friends and family on the 4th of July. 

Lets start using some common sense here hunters and use this site for hunting and shooting sports, not to commit crime.

:chuckle: :chuckle:  calm down there buddy,..  :chuckle: :chuckle:  I don't think anyone here is stupid enough to do risk something like that for a duck

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »

Your statement shows exactly why we are where we are!!! How much pushing are we as hunters going to take!!! Dont know about you but I have  thousands in hunting licenses and gear!! Then they just close it?? No frickin way! Grow sone balls!  When are we all gonna stand up???  Im in the lead if others choose to follow!!!

The Whiners suck!!

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »

Your statement shows exactly why we are where we are!!! How much pushing are we as hunters going to take!!! Dont know about you but I have  thousands in hunting licenses and gear!! Then they just close it?? No frickin way! Grow sone balls!  When are we all gonna stand up???  Im in the lead if others choose to follow!!!

Right behind you. Now just go along, walk on up over that hill over yander, I'll be right behind you...  :chuckle:

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
Hunt!! Ha ha

Have you looked lately, are there ducks there?
You're going to be out elk/deer hunting aren't you?  I wouldnt hunt that spot unless you were there.

Better hunt middle of November on, there are always a few before that though.

The Whiners suck!!

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
So lets say they were to shut down NF all together? Bet your ass I would still go hunting!!!! Thats my point...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »

Yeah, you don't want to be caught poaching the king's ducks....

sent from my typewriter

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:20 PM »

You better have some understanding and before you toss poop out you mouth like that.  There is millions of acres out there we can hunt so what is the difference?  How come you have not lead the way already to Yellow Stone?  And better yet in the 90's?  I didn't see you out there bagging ducks or anyone else on close federal lands.  Sorry but facts are facts and the only way to change is vote. 

Nothing to lead because just all talk because this is not the 1st rodeo.   

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
I have made several posts about the shutdown so I will say it again.

National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife lands are closed to ALL access 24/7. The only exception are those lands which have state/county/interstate roads going through them, such as Mt Rainier and Olympic. Travel off those roads, or entry into a closed area is a federal violation and you will be cited for trespass.

Forest Service and BLM lands are still "open." However there have been SOME gates shut on roads and all facilities (launches, campgrounds, etc) are closed. Once again, find yourself in a closed area and you will be cited for federal trespass.

Federal officers for all of these agencies ARE working.

The federal penalties are stiffer then the WA (RCW) penalty. Under WA law criminal trespass is a misdemeanor (90 days and/or $1,000). On USFS, NPS, and USFWS lands trespass is a federal Class B Misdemeanor which is 6 months and/or $5,000. On BLM lands trespass is a federal Class A Misdemeanor which is 1 year and/or $100,000.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 04:54:44 PM »

National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife lands are closed to ALL access 24/7. The only exception are those lands which have state/county/interstate roads going through them, such as Mt Rainier and Olympic. Travel off those roads, or entry into a closed area is a federal violation and you will be cited for trespass.

Forest Service and BLM lands are still "open." However there have been SOME gates shut on roads and all facilities (launches, campgrounds, etc) are closed. Once again, find yourself in a closed area and you will be cited for federal trespass.

The federal penalties are stiffer then the WA (RCW) penalty. Under WA law criminal trespass is a misdemeanor (90 days and/or $1,000). On USFS, NPS, and USFWS lands trespass is a federal Class B Misdemeanor which is 6 months and/or $5,000. On BLM lands trespass is a federal Class A Misdemeanor which is 1 year and/or $100,000.
:bash: :bash: Trespass on land we pay for???!! So when do they re-imburse all the people who hold tags for watershed hunts or national forest? What about my wood cutting permits?
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »

:bash: :bash: Trespass on land we pay for???!!

Well if you really want to be mad. Under federal law, USFWS land is closed to all access (trespass) unless opened by the Refuge Manager. There are USFWS lands in WA (and other states) which you can be cited for trespass 24/7/365, not just during the shutdown because they have never been opened by the Refuge Manager.

Tell me this, how is it different then winter wildlife closures? Closing PUBLIC lands and being cited for trespass for it?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »

:bash: :bash: Trespass on land we pay for???!! So when do they re-imburse all the people who hold tags for watershed hunts or national forest? What about my wood cutting permits?
you can still cut wood.  You can still hunt on nf land.  You may have to hike places.  I have talked with the mbs nf le and all land is open except for camp grounds and facilities they are closed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk now Free
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »

you can still cut wood.  You can still hunt on nf land.  You may have to hike places.  I have talked with the mbs nf le and all land is open except for camp grounds and facilities they are closed.
:yeah:
The people who truly have it bad are those who have tags/reservations for USFWS lands, those lands are closed to all access. For USFS, some roads are closed but the vast majority are still open.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
Again, keep letting them take and take and take!! Soon we will all be on one acre hunting deer that WE lease!!! Or hunting one pond with no ducks!!!   Like I said, I will take the lead!! Start writing me tickets for land I pay to use!!!   

Fight that ticket in Court, I bet it don't hold up...and any gamie that writes a ticket for using the land is just as bad as Obama himself. Wake up america your rights are being taken from you!!!

The Whiners suck!!

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
Again, keep letting them take and take and take!! Soon we will all be on one acre hunting deer that WE lease!!! Or hunting one pond with no ducks!!!   Like I said, I will take the lead!! Start writing me tickets for land I pay to use!!!   

Fight that ticket in Court, I bet it don't hold up...and any gamie that writes a ticket for using the land is just as bad as Obama himself. Wake up america your rights are being taken from you!!!

Those that are in support of trillion plus debt a year and government control health care then those have every right to be upset. 

But for those who don't support the increased debts and healthcare but can't sacrifice some land temporarily to hunt while letting the politicians try one last stand to stop this, then that makes them a spineless empty suite sell out.  Did the founding fathers sacrifice the simple things of life?  Right now just have to is show some sacrifice on some land temporarily so those can keep up the resistance.  Want our ducks in these areas hunted for years now, it would be asking the politicans to sell out now on all the rest.  Running around like a lawless hooligan would only hurt the cause for the people on their side as well.  Best thing would be to write your politician and say you are not hunting your favorite spots in order for them to stop the debts and healthcare.  It goes a lot farther when a person can show someone they are giving up something for now to get this fixed.   

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »

Those that are in support of trillion plus debt a year and government control health care then those have every right to be upset. 

But for those who don't support the increased debts and healthcare but can't sacrifice some land temporarily to hunt while letting the politicians try one last stand to stop this, then that makes them a spineless empty suite sell out.  Did the founding fathers sacrifice the simple things of life?  Right now just have to is show some sacrifice on some land temporarily so those can keep up the resistance.  Want our ducks in these areas hunted for years now, it would be asking the politicans to sell out now on all the rest.  Running around like a lawless hooligan would only hurt the cause for the people on their side as well.  Best thing would be to write your politician and say you are not hunting your favorite spots in order for them to stop the debts and healthcare.  It goes a lot farther when a person can show someone they are giving up something for now to get this fixed.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  you seriously think that either side would come up with a solution??   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
is it opened now?

http://www.pheasantblog.org/u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service-reopens-waterfowl-production-areas/

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Reopens Waterfowl Production Areas

Editor’s Note: This news release was issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Friday, October 11th. The re-opening of federal Waterfowl Production Areas is important to conservationists (who’ve paid to create them and use them in the form of Federal Duck Stamp purchases) and public land upland hunters who utilize them heavily during open seasons, including seasons opening tomorrow in Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and South Dakota (residents only). Thanks to Pheasants Forever members, pheasant hunters and waterfowlers for making their voices heard through Pheasants Forever by sending us emails, phone calls and through social media. All those messages were directed to our efforts in Washington, D.C. to fight for the re-opening of WPAs for the benefit of all sportsmen and women during the peak of use.

WPAsign
Effective immediately, all WPAs will reopen to public use. PF File Photo

Due to the ongoing lapse in Congressional appropriations, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the decision to close all facilities and lands to public use.  The closure comes at an extremely difficult time with hunting seasons just underway, fall migratory bird migrations at their peak, and hundreds of communities forced to cancel events as part of National Wildlife Refuge Week.  With approximately 78 percent of its employees furloughed, we determined it would be difficult for the remaining, non-furloughed workforce to ensure the safety of facilities, lands, and resources, in a manner that incurs no further financial obligation to the U.S. Government.

Despite limited staffing, the Service has undertaken an assessment to determine what, if any, potential exists to open lands to public use consistent with our obligations under the government-wide shutdown.  It has been determined that allowing public access to Waterfowl Production Areas (WPAs) will not incur further government expenditure or obligation and is allowable under a government shutdown.  Therefore, effective immediately, all WPAs will reopen to public use.

As the shutdown continues, if the Service determines that maintaining the WPAs in open status, individually or cumulatively, would likely cause Service expenditures or obligations to be made in violation of the Anti-Deficiency Act, the Service will close public access.

Additional information about the Service’s efforts to support conservation on national wildlife refuges can be found at http://www.fws.gov/ which will be operational after the shutdown ends.  Shutdown-related information continues to be available at www.DOI.gov/shutdown.

Offline Patarero

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
No I don't think so.  WPA's are different from the refuge system.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »
No I don't think so.  WPA's are different from the refuge system.

:yeah:   :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:  :yeah:

National Wildlife Refuges are different then Waterfowl Production Areas. There are no WPA's in WA.

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:34 AM »
My buddies and I hunted the mcnary area Saturday morning. We put our decoys out at 430 and left the spot around 930. When we got back to our trucks there was a federal officer waiting for us. She told us the land was closed and that she could have kicked us out and cited us but she didn't because this shutdown stuff is confusing. There was a few other groups out there as well hunting along the bank. She turned away around 100 other people we just got lucky because we were already out there. Everything federal is closed with no exceptions. Our only options are state and private land until the govt can get their crap together. I can't believe we pay taxes and for a federal stamp and can't even hunt the land.

You drove inside any of the McNary Units, parked and walked to the waters edge and threw out decoys at 4:30am?

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
My buddies and I hunted the mcnary area Saturday morning. We put our decoys out at 430 and left the spot around 930. When we got back to our trucks there was a federal officer waiting for us. She told us the land was closed and that she could have kicked us out and cited us but she didn't because this shutdown stuff is confusing. There was a few other groups out there as well hunting along the bank. She turned away around 100 other people we just got lucky because we were already out there. Everything federal is closed with no exceptions. Our only options are state and private land until the govt can get their crap together. I can't believe we pay taxes and for a federal stamp and can't even hunt the land.

You drove inside any of the McNary Units, parked and walked to the waters edge and threw out decoys at 4:30am?
:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]