collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Using a "Butt Out", do you need to split pelvis? Skinning Question  (Read 18691 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Using a "Butt Out", do you need to split pelvis? Skinning Question
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
Sphincter

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2013, 04:15:58 AM »
ok ok,all this pooper and sphincter talk has me excited to get out in the sage,rain has put off the harvest for a couple of days..woo hoo get a chance to hunt...I do it both ways,depends on the time I feel I have to get the critter out,I really like my animals whole{Not hole} when possible and prefere to split the pelvic bone,but either way does get it done just fine..good luck hope you all get a chance to do it  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
Splitting the pelvis in the woods just exposes the meat to dirt and leaves etc while dragging it out. Both legs will flop around wherever they want after the pelvis is split. The rectum can easily be removed without splitting it and even more so, don't even cut the skin from the hole to the stomach. Just cut around the rectum in as far as your knife will reach being careful not to cut the intestine walls. Hug the inside of the pelvic bone. Then just make a small incision in front of the penis and stop just short of the sternum. That's all the bigger hole anyone needs to remove everything. Now there is very little chance of getting the insides all dirty while transporting. Very simple.
After it's hung in camp or home, then open up the chest more so it cools more easily. The two butchers I've used over the years also tell me to leave the skin on a deer for as long as possible since it's form fitting and the best protection the meat has.

Yep.  And, as mentioned, a filet knife works great for cutting around the inside of the pelvis.  I didn't even say pooper... oops.   :chuckle:

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
Save your money, you dont need it, dont need to split the pelvis either....gutting is really not that difficult to do.
:yeah: it takes 2-4 minutes tops with only a knife to dress a deer. No need to split the pelvis either. I like my fishing filet knife or my havalon for gutting.
YOU'RE FAST and I am slow. I remember Pathfinder101 pushing me out of the way becuase I was taking to long to gut a deer back in 2007
I've been known to take over for a few people.  :chuckle: its so hard for me too sit there and watch someone struggle at gutting. I'm not a very good teacher I guess... but I like it to be done quickly and thoroughly... I learned from watching my cousin who is very fast amd clean.

One year me and my brother both shot deer at the same time (1.2.3 shoot!, i shot on 3 and he shot on shoot, but thats another story...) My dad was telling us that this was the year that we were going to gut our deer by our selves for the first time. Well me and my brother both started and not 2 minutes later he literally kicked us both out of the way and gut them himself. He couldn't stand how slow we were going lol..
Camp Wapiti Death!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal