collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where to go eastside bowhunt?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline bowhuntress

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Where to go eastside bowhunt?
« on: August 10, 2007, 09:23:18 AM »
First thank you all who replied to my post re; 1st elk hunt on horseback.  I got alot of useful info and have been doing as much reading, bought a couple of good books on the subject and am feeling much more confidant about having a good time out in the hills. 
Now I just need to get some suggestions on where to go with our East tags.  All I'm interested this time out is possibly harvesting a cow elk for the freezer.  Someday of course I'd love to get a nice bull but I have many years of dues to pay and keep trying for permit areas :drool:  I understand people have their private hot spots that they like to keep to themselves so all I'm really asking is some general pointers on where to go that is horse friendly for greenhorn elk hunters :tup: 
We should be quite the team as my husband hasn't ridden much like maybe 10 times (lucky we bought him a nice mare who will babysit him) but at least he's good with his bow.  Then there's me who's ridden all my life but new to archery.  Maybe we will video our trip as there should be some pretty comical moments :chuckle:
Attatched is a pic of my hubby's new mare if she should be seen riderless on the trail you'll know who she belongs to :wave:

Offline bowhuntress

• Pilgrim
Re: Where to go eastside bowhunt?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:34:37 AM »
After looking for my previous post I realized I had posted my question on a different forum :o  Anyway although I did get some great advice I can always use more so here goes;  We are taking just riding horses out for elk/deer/bear and wanted advice and/or helpful hints.  Depending on where we end up going we may or may not camp out of our trailer and ride in daily.  Both of our horses are gaited (Kentucky Mountain horses) so can cover some ground while being a comfortable ride.  I'd love to have a pack animal but with time running out this doesn't seem feasable this year. 
I've enjoyed reading through the posts and have learned a bunch of valuable info already this is a great site!

Thank you,
Tina & Denny

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:10:31 AM »
thats a great looking mare. have they been in the mountains out here? i hunted the wilderness off of horseback in the bumping unit. camped out of a wall tent and rode in from there everyday. i posted in your other thread too. look into a lot of those yakima units that are open and they would make for a good trip. i'm sure there's some guys on here that will point you in a better direction. even if you're not hunting, the scenery was amazing up there.
it was 7-8 years ago for me, i'm sorry i can't remember specifically where we were. above rimrock lake on the north side up one of those roads. it was my first ever elk hunt. something like wildcat canyon or something like that :dunno:
one of these days i hope to do a hunt like that again.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
pm'd you Tina

Offline bowhuntress

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:01:46 PM »
Thank you both for your help.  I can't wait to hit the trail.  Turns out our horse shoer has done some hunting in the same areas a few years back during muzzleloader season.  He's giving his words of wisdom on equipment and some training I need to put into our critters before we head into the hills.  I must say this is only my second season hunting but I've got it bad it's all I can think about.  We went out yesterday scouting for bear and did some calling didn't see anything that day but did call in a cool cinnamon boar who stayed just out of bow range last year.  My husband wants a bear this season and me I want something with antlers :drool:  Of course I'd be just as happy with cow elk for the freezer.  My husband says he created a monster by introducing me to this world and boy is he right.   It's hard for me to beleive there was a time I was happy just fishin or crabbin those days are over ;)

Offline TheScottRanch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 07:51:15 AM »
bowhuntress
 If your ever up in the NE Corner of the state and would like to do some huntin on horseback look us up.

Offline TheScottRanch

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 07:56:05 AM »

Offline TheScottRanch

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 07:58:49 AM »

Have many more  :rolleyes: COME RIDE WITH US  ;)

Offline bowhuntress

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »
That would be really great it would be nice to ride out with people who know what they're doing.  Where about do you go?  I'm working on our horses and they're coming along great, they're both bred to hit the trails and are all buisiness.  Let me know more as we sure would like to make some friends to hunt with.

Talk to you later,

P.S.  Your horses are all beautiful I really like your grulla, although I've never had a buckskin my mom was president of a Buckskin club in San Diego :chuckle:

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
Just found this site a couple weeks ago and can't help drooling each time I read this thread.  All the horses pictured here are beautiful!  Makes me want to have horses again.

I have been trying to get a horseback guided elk hunt, modern firearm.  I put in for a bull permit in the Blue Mountains and hoped to go with Dave and Sas Waldron of Western Life Outfitters, they seem like nice people, but I didn't get drawn.  So I have an Eastern Elk Tag and don't know where to hunt.  I've hunted on the west side before.  I've heard the Coleville Nat. Forest is a possibility.  Maybe you should also look there, too. 
Diane
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline TheScottRanch

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »
Bowhuntress sent you a P.M

Offline one more

• one more
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:40:48 PM »
Bowhuntress and TheScottRanch,
The P.M. box doesn't seem to be working for me.  I'm not ignoring anyone, especially people with such beautiful horses.
Diane
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »
Whats happening with your PM Diane?  Maybe I can help you??

Offline one more

• one more
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »
Hi Boneaddict,
I think I sent you a P.M. and learned that I must check the box to keep a copy in my out box.  I'm learning all the time. 

Anybody else here going to the WA ST Trapper's Ronde? 
Diane
at most e-book stores.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand