collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope 2013  (Read 5756 times)

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Wyoming Antelope 2013
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »
Sometimes when you look at hunting, if you just add up the cost of tags, the time, the fuel (ouch, my truck seems to have a drinking problem) and the other costs, you start to wonder if it's worth it.  However, we all know there's much more to it than the cost of putting meat in the freezer, it's a chance to feel renewed and alive again. In my case it's also a chance to spend time with my sons. I'm lucky enough to get to farm with my sons, but hunting with them is more fun than working with them and certainly of a different quality.

At home we had finally finished onion harvest and it was time to head to Wyoming with my sons, Derrick and Spencer, to hunt antelope. When we got to their unit we found some snow and muddy roads. One area we had planned to hunt still had snow drifts over the road that no one else had driven through, so we hoped we would have the area to ourselves. The other areas we had tried had some very spooky antelope, even at distances well beyond 1,000 yards if the antelope spotted us they just took off. Even this snow drifted area seemed to have very alert animals, so we did a lot of long range glassing and stalking, just to find that even unaware antelope had always fed or wandered off to areas where we couldn't close the distance enough for a shot opportunity. We did find one willing participant and while a 50 yard shot and a 20 yard drag to the two-track road was tempting, we settled on just taking his picture.

Derrick took a picture of his feet while we rested, that was one of my favorite photos from the hunt, it may not show much to the casual observer, but to me it reflects some long stalks, sore feet and time spent with my sons.  During the time we were there, the snow had pretty much melted away, but the tracks in the mud showed "our area" was still only being hunted by us, so we hiked in again and things took a turn for the better.  After another long stalk resulting in a white butt disappearing into the distance, I headed back to get the truck while my sons went over yet another ridge. As I drove further into "our area" I spotted two bucks in the distance and as I watched them I was wondering if there was any chance my sons had seen these bucks? As I watched through my binos one of the bucks suddenly collapsed, I kind of laughed to myself and thought, 'I think they saw them.' Naturally,we always want a bigger buck than the last one we shot, but Derrick decided as tough as it had been getting close to antelope in this unit he wasn't going to pass up an 80 yard shot and notched his tag.

While Derrick and I cleaned and hauled his antelope to the truck, Spencer headed over the ridge to see if a group of 8 they had earlier seen in the distance was still in the area. Just after we got to the truck, Spencer called on the radio and asked if we wanted to come over his direction with a couple of backpacks. That call sounded like we had some work ahead of us, the kind of work that when it's done leaves you with a big ol' smile and a sore back. He had followed that group of 8 for quite some distance, slowly getting closer, watching the one buck in the group chasing does and feeding. He had everything ranged, 347 yards, adjusted for the wind and was about to take the shot when one of the does stopped running from the buck, apparently the rut wasn't over yet, he waited a little longer and figured at least the buck would die happy.

Happily exhausted and sore, we slept well that night and then drove 986 miles home the next day. I wanted to drive around an extra 14 miles just to make it an even 1,000 miles in a day, but my sons quickly let me know that wasn't happening.  Sorry about the long-winded story, but Wyoming provided some great memories in a rather short amount of time. If I look at that antelope meat on a cost per pound basis the trip might not make sense, but any other way I look at the hunt with my sons it was priceless.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wyoming Antelope 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:21:44 AM »
Cool looking goat :tup: congrats
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:51:31 AM »
That bottom goat is pretty neet.  Never seen horns like that on a goat.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:46:19 AM »
Awesome, great trip  :tup:

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:34:46 AM »
Some meat is better than none. You can't put a price on the quality time with kids and the memories.

Congrats  :tup:

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
Great write up and thanks for the story.  I just committed with a hunting buddy to apply in Wyoming next year and so excited.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
am I crazy, I just committed to a muzzy hunt in Wyoming for 2014?    mike w

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 06:56:43 PM »
I didn't know Wyoming had muzzleloader hunts.   ???

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
   oops will have to check.  was told they did and did not fill last year.   mike w

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
  • “Heads” I win, “Tails” you lose!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Father in law owns ten acres in Wyoming. Thought about hunting it, just don't know if I want to shell out that much money for tags. He says he has a lot coming in and eating the apples, also says that the deer come in as well. If we move to Wyoming I will thin the herd for sure! :tup:

Nice pics and congrats. The memories will last for sure.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
Nice work!! I love hunting in Wyoming :IBCOOL:
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
congrats to you guys...  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
Missed it this year, but will be back next year.  Congrats on your hunt...  Antelope are addictive for sure...

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:05 AM »
Any Wyoming antelope hunters on here willing to share a unit that they enjoy success with that has decent public land to hunt? 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal