collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: where and how to hunt bobcats?  (Read 8892 times)

Offline yankees2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
where and how to hunt bobcats?
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
 would love to get a bobcat mount they are so neat. Will need some help on where to start though. spots. tactics. other info would help live near Ellensburg have seen a few.

Offline huntingcl

• Tracker
Re: where and how to hunt bobcats?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Find snowshoe hare in creek bottoms and call, it's not as hard with fresh snow. Oh and patience, patience, and persistence

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
 :) hunt em where ya seen em???? what do they eat? They are small. I like birds.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »
Tagging
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:50:53 AM »
I agree with the statement you hunt them where you see them.  In the snow I try to find out what they are tracking and call accordingly.  Try your best to call long and small.  One hour is not a terribly long time to work a cat.  And most cats are small and eat small things so try not to sound like a 150# rabbit.  You also do not want to shake your call as you would calling coyotes.  A bobby is not going to fight or steal a meal from a small dog or fox so don't sound like one trying to kill that 150# rabbit.  Use emotion, but not in a way that sounds like you are having the life ripped out of you by a larger predator.  Rodent and bird distress calls are king amongst most of the good cat callers I know.  But the range they offer is very limited.  So some times you just have to mix it up depending on where you are at.

Best time to kill a cat is also the worst time to mount a cat.  That would be when the choke cherries have gone rancid.  If you want to take a cat during that time look for bandtail pigeons or Eurasian doves working the cherries.  When the birds get good and drunk they are making a real racket as they struggle to keep their balance in their inebriated state.  It's the best cat call in all the world!  Use a pheasant wing and a bird distress call in the leaves as close to the base of the tree as possible without scaring off all the birds.  Well over half the cats I have taken have been hunting them this way.

Good luck!  Bobbies are one of my all time favorites :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »
Get some dogs :chuckle:

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 07:06:41 AM »
I have called in several with fawn in distress. They all have came to the call in 10 minutes or less. This goes against everything you read but it has been my experience with bobcats. I guess being in the right spot is most important. 
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline BsB

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »
Got one while out elk hunting. Happened to look through the alders, saw two on a log about 20yrds away. Boom went the .243. I've seen more bobbies while walking than I have while calling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
Got one while out elk hunting. Happened to look through the alders, saw two on a log about 20yrds away. Boom went the .243. I've seen more bobbies while walking than I have while calling.

That looks like some serious fur damage with a 243 but congrats on the bobbie
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline BsB

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »

That looks like some serious fur damage with a 243 but congrats on the bobbie
Yeah nosler accubonds will do that.

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
Tagging
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 03:18:31 PM »
 :yeah:
Get some dogs :chuckle:
:yeah: :yeah:i sure wish we cou;ld use hounds again. no better way and what a blast, i dont think there is better music than to listen to some hounds trailing a cat  :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
Tagging this. I'd love to call in a bobcat to get mounted.

Offline cwbobcathunter

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF NRA SCI
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Try hunting at night with multiple people in wooded, brushy areas. They'll usually come in and sit down during the night just like they do at day, but you have a better chance of catching their eyes glowing at night instead of their silhouette through the brush during the day. Having more people there helps to cover the area at night but during the day, hunt alone or with one buddy who can look hard, hold VERY still, and not fall asleep/get bored. If you're going to hunt at night, use a little larger caliber rifle or a shotgun depending on the foliage. You don't want to be caught tracking a cat unless you have snow on the ground due to a poorly placed shot -night hunting makes shot placement even harder-.   Your stands should be an hour long or so, try wearing a watch when you go out to keep track of time and make sure you stay on the stand long enough. I call almost nonstop, only taking a break while switching between calls and calling styles. A feather on a piece of fishing line a few yards away from where you're sitting is all you'll need as a decoy, the cat will zero in on the feather and be interested enough to come closer so you can see him. If you're going to use an e-call at night, put it right next to you or the eyes on the cat might not shine when he's coming in. Once you get tired, bored to death, cold, upset that you haven't called anything in, and have hunted for days after a bobcat, you'll call one in. Don't give up, and don't miss seeing it when it comes in. ONE LAST TIP: DON'T try using a .17 hmr on cats, you're going to be in for some heartbreak when you shoot one and never recover it.

Bobcat hunting checklist:
1. Warm clothes- remember that you're going to be sitting completely still for an hour, don't get caught unprepared.
2. shotgun- you never know when a cat will show up ten yards away, bring the shotgun even though its a pain to carry- your taxidermist will thank you
3. feather- drill a turkey feather and tie fishing line through it. Do this before you get to the stand, preferably at home.
4.sitting pad-you'll only forget this once.
5.calls- catnip catnip catnip. they love it. bring a foxpro with bird sounds for when you get winded, but use hand calls nonstop for as long as you can handle
6.notepad- every time you go out, have one handy so you can write down where tracks were, good looking stands, and so on
7.lights for night hunting- almost anything works, it's not like shining coyotes. The cats will stare into the light, and not run from it
8.cover-scent- skunk musk/glands rubbed on your boots if you can handle it. If not, try some deer smells. Cats aren't too picky about scent, but it's nice to call in the occasional coyote to keep motivated about predator calling and believe that it works
9. watch- sixty minutes can go by really slowly or quickly depending on how tired you are. Make sure you know how long you've been sitting somewhere

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]