collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last stand of the sage grouse  (Read 2956 times)

Offline AspenBud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Last stand of the sage grouse
« on: October 30, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
Interesting article. Some time I need to hunt these.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/2013/sagegrouse.htm#.UnFqp5Q4X64

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: Last stand of the sage grouse
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
Good article.  I've seen lots of them out by Winnett.  They sound like Chinook helicopter when they take off :o
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
  • “Heads” I win, “Tails” you lose!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

If they ever become legal to hunt in WA then I wouldn't mind giving it a go either.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

If they ever become legal to hunt in WA then I wouldn't mind giving it a go either.

If you want to shoot one, I'd be for doing it now.  I don't foresee them staying off the ESL for much longer, and hunting seasons will go before they are listed.

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »

If you want to shoot one, I'd be for doing it now.  I don't foresee them staying off the ESL for much longer, and hunting seasons will go before they are listed.

I am not going to hunt outside of WA State for Sage Grouse and it is illegal to hunt for Sage Grouse in WA State!

Sage grouse are currently a protected species in Washington State.  There are no seasons for them.

taken from http://huntwashingtonstate.com/HWS/Birds/grouse.htm

Regs also state that hunting for Sage Grouse is closed!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »

I am not going to hunt outside of WA State for Sage Grouse and it is illegal to hunt for Sage Grouse in WA State!

Sage grouse are currently a protected species in Washington State.  There are no seasons for them.

Fully understand that bro.  You're missing my point.  If you wait a few more years, your opportunity to shoot one in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho or any other state that has an open season will likely be passe.  That is French for you're SOL :)

Offline ElkTipper

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
When I lived in Montana back in 1976, when I wasn't hunting with my family I would be hunting with a couple buddies for sharptailed grouse and sage hen.  I think the limit back then was 6 sharptail and 3 sage hen.  Living at Glasgow AFB we had nothing but BLM land around us and some of the best bird, deer and antelope hunting and fishing for northern pike and walleye in the state.  I remember one year the opener of sharptail, my Dad, two brothers and I crested a hill and jumped a flock of sharpies with over 100 birds in it.  I never fired a shot, just stood their stunned/shocked as they flew in every direction.  I was the first over the hill and my Dad said "Why didn't you shoot?"  All I could say was "I dunno".  Another time we were cruising along on one of many dirt roads up and down through the coulees and I looked out the back window and saw a couple birds flapping around.  We drove over a flock of about 11 sage hen and two of them lifted their heads and were clipped by the axle.  We jumped out and shot a couple more and in another couple hours we each limited out.  We very seldom came home without a limit.  Once you found them and knew their range and habits it was a great time.  Don't get me started on rabbits.  Those were some fun times.  And we ate well!  :tup:

Offline 75johndeere

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:30 PM »
There where a ton of them around roundup when we where antelope hunting beginning of this month.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Offline ElkTipper

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
I bet!  That's where we typically went when we hunted for Antelope.  We also hunted the Jordan area.  Eastern Montana is full of excellent bird and rabbit habitat.  The populations of both go up and down like a sine wave following the coyote population.  It's an interesting cycle.  I miss living there, have many fond memories.  Fort Peck reservoir was amazing.  There are mule deer there as large as small elk in the coulees surrounding that lake.  I am confident the sage hen population is still doing very well.  So much BLM land and very large private ranches where they get very little pressure during breeding months.  Great state!

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:45:22 PM »

Not really SOL just don't have the need to travel to shoot a bird.  :tung: One day when I have the money and well into retirement I may, but by then I will have my own land that will hold all the game I should ever want.. I hope!  :tup: For now I will stick to hunting Ruffed Grouse and what ever else should come into my sights that is legal to kill.  :chuckle:

Fully understand that bro.  You're missing my point.  If you wait a few more years, your opportunity to shoot one in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho or any other state that has an open season will likely be passe.  That is French for you're SOL :)

Offline L-ofalab

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 04:53:03 AM »

It used to cost only $50 for a WA hunter to hunt upland Montana, and from Spokane it was closer than  for you to drive to Spokane from Seattle.
A smart dog will bring 2 beverages to save a trip to the fridge!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]