collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington Whitetail Rut Report 2013  (Read 39140 times)

Offline Expedition Scout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Washington Whitetail Rut Report 2013
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2013, 05:03:04 AM »
I've heard Bio's say that deer will go through 2 or more ruts (nothing like the first one) but every 30 days or so, any deer that wasn't bred will go into heat again.

DB, if you saw Mulies rutting hard on the 27th of Oct, then PolarBears observations yesterday might be proof of a doe that didn't get bred.  :twocents:

Over the last few days of sitting all day around Spokane, it's been strange. Last week on Thursday/Friday I saw on camera the first round of all day buck movement. Saturday/Sunday back to normal. Monday through yesterday i've been in my stand all day and its tapered off. Hard to explain, but it seems the Bucks are on the feet, just not rutting hard... almost lax about chasing. Been seeing groups of does together and no Bucks. Two days ago had a group of buck come through without a doe in sight. Wondering if the weather warming up during the day has pulled the plug. I guess I'll know by this weekend since the weather is due to change back to cold. My area is historically a rut zone, each year at Thanksgiving I see Bucks I've never seen before rutting. This year its the same local crowd with no sense of urgency.

DB, KR reported the same activity over by work yesterday. A little better than what I've seen, but said they didn't seem to energized.

Time to hunt! :tup:
"By God, I are a mountain man, and I'll live 'til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I'll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent"

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2013, 05:18:03 AM »
 Checking cams in 127 yesterday I saw some heavy rutting activity.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »
Mule deer are still rutting up high but tapering off quickly.

I am surprised they are still rutting.. I had a lot of Mule Deer rut activity 27 October - 3 November

Last years fawns (doe) go into estrous late, and then any doe that were missed the first time around go in around Thanksgiving.  2nd rut is happening, though it isn't anything like the first push

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »
Mule deer are still rutting up high but tapering off quickly.

I am surprised they are still rutting.. I had a lot of Mule Deer rut activity 27 October - 3 November

Last years fawns (doe) go into estrous late, and then any doe that were missed the first time around go in around Thanksgiving.  2nd rut is happening, though it isn't anything like the first push

That definitely makes sense. I know the whitetail have a second rut but its usually fairly slow.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline jnevs23

• Longhunter
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
I'm hunting Mt. Spokane and the rut seems to be on.  I had a spike, 2pt and small 3 pt come in Monday.  None if them cared about my bait they were all sniffing at the doe in heat wicks.  The 3 pt took off after a doe that came in as well. Driving in this morning there was a 4 pt right next to the road with a doe. I stopped and about could have hit him with my door. He didn't give a crap about me as long as his doe was there.  That said its been Slow in the stand today.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »
Very busy for the whitetail.  Does bred now fawn mid June.  Some of this years fawns will cycle and keep the bucks looking.  Great time to be out watching and learning.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
I have seen black tails go into 3 different rut cycles.  Many years ago I was out hunting coyotes in shelton on the last couple of days of December.  ! ran across an old guy hunting alone with a late muzleloader deer tag.  About an hour later while calling coyotes a doe comes into my fawn in destress call.  Behind her was a huge 4 point blacktail buck that chased her around with his nose in her business. I backed out and drove like hell to find the old man.  He was only about a mile away and by the time we got back the buck was up on the hillside and mounting the doe.  We let him finish his job and the old man shot what was his biggest buck ever.  I have seen bucks in full rut from the middle of september on through the end of december.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal