collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern Washington Elk  (Read 39842 times)

Offline bobdog86

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Eastern Washington Elk
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Lets do away with scopes and high power rifles. (except for the old and disabled)  :chuckle:  Actually I'd never want to impose my opinion on others.  But that would work, right? Bow and Muzzleloader only. :IBCOOL:
Sure, Long bows only (nothing metallic) and only traditional, real flintlock smoke poles.

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
Several other states (including Oregon) have permit only hunting for deer/elk, and it hasn't stopped kids from hunting in those states.

I have to ask- why is it that a system like that works in other states but some people insist it can't work here?

I've asked this question before and never have heard any reasonable answers.
I think it can work but I go hard for mine year in year out and am successful year in year out. I don't consider myself any better of a hunter than the rest, but I do consider myself more hard working than the most. Why should I have to suffer?
Team nubby!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »
Why should you have to suffer? Kind of a silly question to ask. Actually it's likely you could still hunt every year if you apply for areas that are difficult to access (wilderness.)

Also, if you don't draw one year don't you think a friend or family member might draw and you could go along to help? You'd still get to hunt, you just wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger.

I don't know but there are options. Just think of all the people in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona who "suffer" more often than not.

I just seems to me that proper management of this state's elk is more important than every single hunter being allowed to kill an elk every year.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
1. It will never go permit only. Reason is revenue.

2. If you don't like the hunting in Washington, you can go hunt one of your "permit only" states.

3. If it ever does go permit only, those that bote it in.  It wont improve hunting, only for those that dont use our regs will benefit..

4. It is what it is..  Too many people not enough animals..
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline deaner

• Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2013, 08:59:39 PM »
Why should you have to suffer? Kind of a silly question to ask. Actually it's likely you could still hunt every year if you apply for areas that are difficult to access (wilderness.)

Also, if you don't draw one year don't you think a friend or family member might draw and you could go along to help? You'd still get to hunt, you just wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger.

I don't know but there are options. Just think of all the people in Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona who "suffer" more often than not.

I just seems to me that proper management of this state's elk is more important than every single hunter being allowed to kill an elk every year.

proper management of this states elk?  i think that more aggressive predator control options would do a lot more for our elk numbers than more restrictive hunt opportunities.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
2. If you don't like the hunting in Washington, you can go hunt one of your "permit only" states.

I will always hunt this state as long as I live here. That doesn't mean I can't disagree with the states method of so called "wildlife management."

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
proper management of this states elk?  i think that more aggressive predator control options would do a lot more for our elk numbers than more restrictive hunt opportunities.

Great idea but I don't see anything with predator management changing anytime soon. Do you? The fact is the only real change that can be made to increase deer and elk numbers, AND to improve the quality of our hunts, is to limit the number of hunters by GMU. Just as many other states do. States that have more hunters than surplus game, like this state. So why are we so different that we can have unlimited numbers of tags, with no way to control where all those people hunt?

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2013, 09:08:02 PM »
Several other states (including Oregon) have permit only hunting for deer/elk, and it hasn't stopped kids from hunting in those states.

I have to ask- why is it that a system like that works in other states but some people insist it can't work here?

I've asked this question before and never have heard any reasonable answers.
I don't think there is a truly reasonable answer bobcat as to why.
The majority of elk hunters want the opportunity to hunt every year.  It may be just that simple, right there.
That same majority complains about over crowding but refuses to want to give up their annual tag opportunities.
Personally, I think that a system like if your hunter ID # ends with an odd number, you get the odd years.  Even gets even.  Should wind up being relatively close to cutting the hunters afield in half I would guess.  Youths, seniors, and possibly disabled and active in-state stationed military get an exemption on the odd/even.
The driving force in something like this would be revenue generation.  If the WDFW allowed everyone to still make permit applications, and if successful they were exempt from the odd/even, the WDFW may not suffer too much on the revenue take side.
The WDFW needs to step away from the thought of managing for opportunity (revenue) and manage for a quality hunting experience before anything will ever change.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »
Where is the big problem? 400 inch bulls? 200 inch bucks?

The elk are doing great in my unit, deer numbers are on the rebound and getting close to the early 90'S

I have no problem hunting spikes. By going permit only you still won't kill an animal every time you have a tag...
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2013, 09:19:24 PM »

If I can't kill an elk every year I'm done here. Selfish? maybe, but I'm tired of people whining how crappy hunting is in this state. Its like people expect to drive down the roads and see herds of elk everywhere. I got news for yall hunting does not suck here! I don't agree on much with rtspring, but this I do. I don't want to be forced into wilderness areas because a lot of people think hunting should be easy. If I go with a friend, my freezer won't be full to the next season. Bottom line play the hand your dealt, get off your butts and go get them, they are here, there are areas that there aren't many people. Don't like it? Go somewhere else, don't ruin it for those of us that bust our asses to be successful every year.
Team nubby!

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »

I have no problem hunting spikes. By going permit only you still won't kill an animal every time you have a tag...
Winner winner chicken dinner! Bingo!
Team nubby!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
The reason for going to permit only would be number 1- to limit hunting pressure and decrease harvest. This would lead to higher numbers of elk, at least in areas that have the carrying capacity for more animals. It's pretty selfish in my opinion to think that you deserve to kill an elk every single year, when the average hunter in this state kills an elk once every twenty years. It's not about making it more "easy." It would be about managing each GMU by limiting the harvest, which they DO NOT do now. The distribution of hunters is 100% random, the WDFW does not control that in any way. As more and more of the private timber company land goes to access by permit only, the problem is going to get worse. If you hunt public land expect to have a lot more company in the future!

Offline deaner

• Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
"The reason for going to permit only would be number 1- to limit hunting pressure and decrease harvest. This would lead to higher numbers of elk, at least in areas that have the carrying capacity for more animals. "

my core area has a very small elk [population well below its carrying capacity.  almost nobody hunts elk here.  even most of the people who live here have never seen an elk around and many of them dont believe we have them.  that being said, there is virtually no hunter pressure / harvest on the local elk, yet the population remains small and the recruitment is very poor.  its a predator problem.  decreasing the number of hunters here would do nothing, the only thing that would help the elk numbers in this area is better predator control options.  do i think its going to happen? not at all, but that IS the answer.

Offline Button Nubbs

• "Fish CSI"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
The reason for going to permit only would be number 1- to limit hunting pressure and decrease harvest. This would lead to higher numbers of elk, at least in areas that have the carrying capacity for more animals. It's pretty selfish in my opinion to think that you deserve to kill an elk every single year, when the average hunter in this state kills an elk once every twenty years. It's not about making it more "easy." It would be about managing each GMU by limiting the harvest, which they DO NOT do now. The distribution of hunters is 100% random, the WDFW does not control that in any way. As more and more of the private timber company land goes to access by permit only, the problem is going to get worse. If you hunt public land expect to have a lot more company in the future!
Why does the average hunter kill one only every twenty years? Do they study maps? Are they making 15-20 scouting trips per season? Are they running multiple cameras in different areas? Are they constantly looking to improve their situation? Does the thought of why elk do what they do cross their minds daily? I doubt they are. Oppertunity is at your finger tips, go get it!
I will agree this timber company thing is going to create a major problem. Something does need to be done about that.
Team nubby!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
The main reason the success rate is so low is there are too many hunters! Period. Not enough elk.

Again, why do other states feel the need to manage by permit only hunting? Other states that actually have more elk and less people than we do? But we don't need to do that here? Why are we so different that we can continue on with basically the same management system that we've had since the 1950's?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal