collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2013 Youth Hunter Contest  (Read 3206 times)

Offline uplandhunter870

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
2013 Youth Hunter Contest
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »
Just as the title says this is a contest for our youth hunters. i apologize for my tardiness getting this going. so without further adieu;

Eligible Persons: any hunter that is by WDFW definition a youth hunter, native or non, (under 16 years of age at time of license purchase), that has filled a tag in the 2013 season of their weapon choice.

Contest Entry Requirements: at least one (1) photo of the successful harvest must be submitted, although more are always welcome, and a narrative of the events leading up to the harvest of the animal in length of no less than 200 words. It is acceptable for parents of younger hunters who's writing skills are in need of assistance to help with the writing of the narrative. IE spelling and grammar check, proof reading, editing, and for the younger hunters that are still learning how to type a parent/mentor may type the narrative as the hunter dialogues it, we would like to hear their account of the hunt please.

Prizes:

Polarbear is gracious enough to donate a skull cleaning for a deer skull and Jackelope has donated a plaque to accompany the cleaned skull for euro mount display purposes.

BiggFish has offered up a ground blind

Titan-1 of Titan Outdoors has offered up some prizes. details on these are forth coming as he and company are on a Montana Adventure.

Duration and Judging: Entrants will be able to submit entries here in this thread up to midnight Dec. 31. judging will then commence via open poll to all H-W members to vote on the entries.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: 2013 Youth Hunter Contest
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
Tristan would like to submit his hunt.  He is 9.5 years old.  This is in his own words and transcribed from his paper.  Some things won't make sense to outside readers and I'll explain if needed:

My hunt by Tristan

I started hunting 3 years ago.  The first two years I went across the state to Garry's house.  The second year across the state, we saw a dead skunk.  Both years I didn't get a deer.  This year, I did get a deer though.  I was at our hunting spot after 5 unsuccessful attempts.  My dad took me out to the hunting spot bringing the .308 (I did not like firing it so my dad said he switched it to the .243 barrel.  He did not though). 

I brought my book to kill some time.  I was reading, feeling like I wasn't going to get a deer when my dad said there was a doe.  The doe looked at us then started moving to the other edge of the clearing and disappeared in a thicket of trees.  5 minutes later, she was running full speed out.  My dad said she was getting chased by a buck.  Sure enough, a buck came trotting out.

My dad put my ear muffs on and set up the rifle on the shooting sticks.  He clicked the safety off.  I placed the reticle on what I thought was the shoulder and squeezed the trigger.  My dad said it hopped, stood on it's back legs and ran off into the woods.

We checked out the scene and then went home for a while.  Then a man named 1morebuck (name withheld but he's a member here) and his friend who was a tracker came back out with us.  Me and my brother waited 20-25 minutes before my dad called me over. 

I approached the deer with 1morebuck and when he said it expired, I went closer to grab an antler.  1morebuck grabbed the other.  We started to drag the deer but I stumbled and got dragged under it so my dad had to help me up.  We dragged it into the field where I got my picture taken with the deer.  After that, my dad said that 1morebuck and his friend could go home.  So 1morebuck went home and we were alone.

My dad started to gut the deer and when he got the heart, I got to hold it.  Then he put a stripe of blood on my forehead.  When he was done, he put it into a game bag and put it in the bed of the truck.  Me and my brother got in the truck and I got my book and read it.  When we got home, it was 10:00 at night and I was tired.  The end.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:13:18 PM by DoubleJ »

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
The ol I switched out the barrel trick....classic.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
The ol I switched out the barrel trick....classic.

His brother and I told him for years that when the moment was there, he'd never even notice.  After the shot, he didn't believe that he shot the .308 even after I showed him the shell.  He had to look at the engraving on the barrel to believe it. :chuckle:

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
Looks like we have a winner!!!  Congratulations Tristan!!!  Our donors should be getting a hold of you shortly!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
Tristan's euro is done and ready for delivery!  Thanks to Titan for contacting DoubleJ.  I wil be sending a reminder to our other donors.  Congrats again Tristan!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]