collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Training Brittany to point  (Read 12887 times)

Offline Cruiser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Training Brittany to point
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:36 PM »

Does anyone have tips on how to train a young Brittany to point? He is 8 months and I have taken him out a few times. He gets really excited and loves to go out and is not gun shy at all, however he tends to just chase birds when he gets on a scent without pointing or holding. My other Brittany passed on a couple years ago, but was an incredible natural hunter that pointed and would hold on a bird, and he had no formal training just experience.   Thanks for any information.  I figure if he does not improve I will have to get some professional training.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Training Brittany to point
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:07 PM »
He's a baby be patient.......,my reccomendation for those with no patience is a pointer,and by pointer I do not mean a  setter of any color,wirehair,german shorthair,weimeraner,vizlsa,Braque du burbonais,epanguel breton,spinone or a POINTING LABRADOR.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
He's a baby be patient.......,my reccomendation for those with no patience is a pointer,and by pointer I do not mean a  setter of any color,wirehair,german shorthair,weimeraner,vizlsa,Braque du burbonais,epanguel breton,spinone or a POINTING LABRADOR.

start training the Pointing Labs earlier though...lol  :chuckle:
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »

Does anyone have tips on how to train a young Brittany to point? He is 8 months and I have taken him out a few times. He gets really excited and loves to go out and is not gun shy at all, however he tends to just chase birds when he gets on a scent without pointing or holding. My other Brittany passed on a couple years ago, but was an incredible natural hunter that pointed and would hold on a bird, and he had no formal training just experience.   Thanks for any information.  I figure if he does not improve I will have to get some professional training.

Taking him out a few time by the time he is 8 months old isn't going to cut it. My Britt is 8 months old as well and he gets out a few times a week will still occasionally flush a bird. Its his first year, per him have fun and build up that prey drive. Don't expect a lot out of him yet.
Not for self, but for country

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:58 AM »
An 8 month old pup needs to be on a steady diet of birds. Minimum 10 a month. Regardless of breed. They need to remember the bird is in the field every time you have an outing. Pups are lackluster when the dog itself has no expectation of what will happen when it goes afield.

A pups expectation is what makes the difference between a good and bad dog. The pups owner has the job of building a picture in the pups mind of what the expectation should look like. This is true for any hunting dog to the highest level trial dog.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »
You don't train a dog to point, you bring the instinct to point  out in it.  The easiest way is to put the dog on wild birds that will flush every time the dog tries to bust them.  One of the worst things you can do is use lousy birds and teach he dog they can catch them.  If you don't have wild birds, a launcher is your best bet.  When the dog smells the birds and tries to bust them, launch the birds.  Won't take too many times before you have a solid point.  Brits are pretty easy to train, and this is one of those things the dog will train itself on if you get it into birds.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »

Yep.  (an acquaintance’s dog)

Rock Scent Pointing a Pigeon at 15 Weeks

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
You don't train a dog to point, you bring the instinct to point  out in it.  The easiest way is to put the dog on wild birds that will flush every time the dog tries to bust them.  One of the worst things you can do is use lousy birds and teach he dog they can catch them.  If you don't have wild birds, a launcher is your best bet.  When the dog smells the birds and tries to bust them, launch the birds.  Won't take too many times before you have a solid point.  Brits are pretty easy to train, and this is one of those things the dog will train itself on if you get it into birds.

:yeah:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I will say however that some dogs figure the game out faster than others. I have one who would point birds in launchers or planted birds all day long. But once we started going after the real thing it took him a while to catch on. Wild birds run, wild birds don't exist in primo scenting conditions, and wild birds are more apt to flush. It used to drive me nuts watching one of my Pointers stop in the middle of some cover, see his head whip back and forth with a wild look in his eyes, take two steps foward and see a woodcock (we were in the Midwest) fly up behind him with him none the wiser. Or worse watch him blow right by a bird only to have me bump it while following him. Then one day something magical happened, we were out in a light snow in late March, the woodies were flying north again, and the dog stopped in the middle of a nasty tangle of plant matter and started pointing them. The dog pointed his first brood of grouse that Fall and we never looked back.

Wish I could say the same for my shooting.

Keep getting the dog out. If the dog has any natural point it will start to come out, the dog just needs to learn from its mistakes. Worry when they turn two.

Offline Birddogman

• Hunter
  • Get busy Livin', or get busy diein'
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »
Looks like the pointer scented it about 10 steps back......if you pressure the bird you encourage the bust!

Part of teaching a dog is "knowing" your dogs tells.  That's why I agree with wildweeds, take time to get to know your pup, make the training a game.  10 birds/month, or only wild birds....no one recipe fits every dog.  Seek a good trainer who will train you and the dog. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »
Looks like the pointer scented it about 10 steps back......if you pressure the bird you encourage the bust!

Part of teaching a dog is "knowing" your dogs tells.  That's why I agree with wildweeds, take time to get to know your pup, make the training a game.  10 birds/month, or only wild birds....no one recipe fits every dog.  Seek a good trainer who will train you and the dog.

I don't know any trainer who would recommend no birds for a dog unless it had another serious issue.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline beagledog

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
The pup will figure it out.
What you need to do is watch and learn your dog and the way it will hunt
My grandpa always said you don't teach the dog to hunt it will teach you

Every dog is different so don't try and compare it to someonelses dog. Teach it what you want it to do for commands and learn to hunt together as a team and you will have fun doing it

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:10 PM »
Maybe he's pointing at the start, and you don't recognize it?  My buddy had a couple of Brittanys, and although they are good bird dogs, they aren't flashy pointers.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
Maybe he's pointing at the start, and you don't recognize it?  My buddy had a couple of Brittanys, and although they are good bird dogs, they aren't flashy pointers.
:chuckle:

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

Hilarious statement
Not for self, but for country

Offline Birddogman

• Hunter
  • Get busy Livin', or get busy diein'
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:55:16 PM »

HA!  Good one. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter