collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd Annual Salmon for Soldiers 2014  (Read 22322 times)

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 2nd Annual Salmon for Soldiers 2014
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
Looks like we are about 24 days out now from the event. Been hearing reports that there are some Silvers starting to show, we should be right in the heart of the run on the 13th    :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »
Shameless bump.

Just checked in with the 'ol Salmon U reports. I love the "the sivers are coming!" tag. I think the event is going to hit just right. I'm looking forward to some feet up trolling with the "fish on!" war cry. Bring it.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »
Who's ready? I've got fresh gear tied up...some new flashers....herring to be brined....Pretty much good to go other than about 10 minutes of boat prep.

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 06:31:52 AM »
Looks like we are 4 days from the event, the fish are showing big time now. Should be a fun day with some well deserving guest onboard each boat. I am ready to go, just giving FISH 4 FUN a good cleaning this week. I will be there starting Friday morning at the dock to meet and chat with the boats as they come in. Looking forward to meeting the new boaters this year, and saying hello to last years captains and crew again.

If you have any last minute questions feel free to ask me.

See you on the dock

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
Fun....

I looked on the website and am either missing or can't find the schedule for the day. Check in time and all that. If you can direct me to the right place or post on here I would very much appreciate it. Also, I saw that they had sent out final confirmation emails. Don't think I ever saw one. I'll PM you my info and if it is possible for you to look into that I sure would appreciate it.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
For those that hosted last year here is a quick reminder of meeting locations....a little different.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Posting in case anyone needs it handy.........

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
Tomorrow morning bright and early. It's going to be a good time.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »
Yes sir.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
H20 is checked in.

Going to be a restless night.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
Well, I'm home, the boat is washed and put away. I'm tired. A good tired. Not really a good tired 'cause we slayed 'em. A good tired because we were the last boat to weigh in a fish. Our only fish. Yep, I sucked it up when it comes to numbers. We lost one, landed one. It wasn't big, it did not put up an epic fight, it did not happen out of skill. It was a desperation please oh fish gods grace me with one damn fish kinda fish. We got out early and heard reports of good fishing. Boats were getting it done. Getting it done on herring, hoochies, flies, all standard gear. Getting it done at 45 feet all they way down past 100. Not us. We were changing speeds, depth, gear, anything I could do. We had a nice hook up that looked and felt like a nice fish. It was there, then it wasn't. That's how it goes. After that, it got real quiet. We would get texts from other boats, another fish in and a pic. We kept at it. Finally, with most of the boats in, the fish gods graced us. Whole herring behind a flasher just south of shipwreck. Alex saw the take, got on the rod, got the tip up, brought it in. He was on the spot. Fish did its thing and I tell you.....my heart was pounding like crazy when that thing came up. When the net slid under and I lifted it was great. The stank of the skunk was off the boat. We kept at it. Rigged fresh herring....fished until 3. No more action to speak of.

Overall, what a great day. Good company, water was good, bloodied the boat, and gave one of our active duty servicemen a good day. I'd do it again, will do it again. Maybe next time I'll get a little redemption and slay 'em. Maybe if Alex makes the trip we will get to fish again. I would like that very much.

Here is a quick vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjobvOzU9NQ

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
My buddy's boat that I was on last year caught "a slab". That's all I've heard. Hope it was a great time for all involved. Last years experience was something I won't soon forget.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:34 PM »
Thank You, to the boats that came and took a Veteran fishing. What a day, the water was calm, the winds stayed calm too, and the sun was bright. Perfect weather, for a perfect day of fishing. The final tally for all of the boats was, 191 Coho for our Veterans to take home. The BBQ, was great too and well attended by our Vets, skippers and crew along with our many volunteers that did a great job.

The Fish 4 Fun Team, was lucky and got 3 nice fish, just couldn't get that last fish to bite. That didn't matter, our 2 guys had never caught a salmon fishing before, and were grinning ear to ear with 3 fish. To make it better 1 of them was at the 2013 event and was skunked last year. He made up for that by getting his limit on Saturday.

Again...... Thank You Hunt Wa Boaters, I hope you will participate again next year at Salmon For Soldiers 2015
Without all of you and your boats, days like this would not happen for our Veterans and Soldiers.   :tup:

Jim Workman
Salmon For Soldiers, Co-Event Coordinator

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »
Put me down for next year.

Offline dr.electrode

• Pilgrim
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
 :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
This was my first year taking soldiers out fishing. What a cool way to give back. We ended up with three fish and lost 7 or 8, it was great watching them jump and run when the rods would go off. They were extremely grateful.

Hats off to the event coordinators.

I am definitely in for next year!!!!!!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal