collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: tuff elk!  (Read 9301 times)

Offline ArtistNhunter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association, Brant Foundation, RMEF
Re: tuff elk!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
Unless I missed it, it would have been nice to know what caliber, bullet type and weight he was shooting and the yardage. It looks close, but the video could have been on zoom. Anyway, nice shooting and I agree, shoot it until it drops.
The cow I shot this year was at 35 yards, broadside and with a little down hill angle. I hit it once with my 30-06, 220 grain Core-lok. The bullet passed high through one lung and blew out the other lung. She ran down hill thru the trees for almost 400 yards before piling up. If I would have had an opportunity to take another shot, I would have. Tuff critters, for sure.
Landscape artist and hunter...Life is good!

Offline dewandgin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
shoot 'em until they fall down!  hunter did right!   :tup:

That's what I was always told.
   Shot a spike elk in Wy once that bled way more than a elk should ever and I was sure it was down and never shot it again. I just watched it bleed then it ran over the hill and two old guys (at the time I was 17yrs old so they had to of been 40yrs old :chuckle:) finished it off and tag it. I just turned around and walked off. Told me granddad later and he said "if they ain't laying down they need more lead" :tup:

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 03:55:46 PM »
What ever he was using did the trick. That elk was done on the first shot. Notice it didn't start running away.  Didn't here him say he was using barnes but thats what I shoot and they kill elk very fast.  Have killed 9 elk using barnes Triple shocks and only 1 went more then 50 yards and that was because of a bad shot on my part.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Whew!  I'll have to reference some of this "shoot 'em till they're down" vehemence to the "Pilgrim" thread.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
While he has nice thirds, I'm not seeing 350"  330 maybe, but hey I'm not trying to promote a tv show either.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
Unless I missed it, it would have been nice to know what caliber, bullet type and weight he was shooting and the yardage. It looks close, but the video could have been on zoom. Anyway, nice shooting and I agree, shoot it until it drops.
The cow I shot this year was at 35 yards, broadside and with a little down hill angle. I hit it once with my 30-06, 220 grain Core-lok. The bullet passed high through one lung and blew out the other lung. She ran down hill thru the trees for almost 400 yards before piling up. If I would have had an opportunity to take another shot, I would have. Tuff critters, for sure.

Maybe they were shooting FMJ's  :chuckle:

Offline wastickslinger

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
Watched a bull take 3 in the boiler at 75 yards and barely flinch. That was a 300 rum pushing 190 grain vld at 3250 fps. Shoot till they drop.

Offline canyelk48

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 05:13:32 PM »
Some good points for shooting until they drop, but in this case it looked like they were in pretty open country with no one else around and with the first shot you could tell he was DRT (dead right there), which was what I was pointing out.  If I were hunting an area with plenty of other hunters around (like most areas in WA), I'd shoot till they drop too, to ensure the only tag on the elk was mine!  I once shot a spike in MT with my .300 Magnum and he stopped in his tracks with the first shot and I knew he was hit hard.  Followed it up with a 2nd shot and he dropped.  When I field dressed him, it revealed that my first shot had blown his heart to shreds, so the 2nd shot wasn't really needed.  I've seen some elk that were shot to hell because of the shoot till they drop mentality resulting in a heck of a lot of wasted meat.  I'm betting the left shoulder of the bull in this video was trashed from the exit wounds and shock of the bullets, but hey, to each his own.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »
Some good points for shooting until they drop, but in this case it looked like they were in pretty open country with no one else around and with the first shot you could tell he was DRT (dead right there), which was what I was pointing out.  If I were hunting an area with plenty of other hunters around (like most areas in WA), I'd shoot till they drop too, to ensure the only tag on the elk was mine!  I once shot a spike in MT with my .300 Magnum and he stopped in his tracks with the first shot and I knew he was hit hard.  Followed it up with a 2nd shot and he dropped.  When I field dressed him, it revealed that my first shot had blown his heart to shreds, so the 2nd shot wasn't really needed.  I've seen some elk that were shot to hell because of the shoot till they drop mentality resulting in a heck of a lot of wasted meat.  I'm betting the left shoulder of the bull in this video was trashed from the exit wounds and shock of the bullets, but hey, to each his own.

you could probably slide a 55 gallon drum through the blood shot area on that bull once they got that all carved out

Offline YoterHunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »
I will shoot until it's down. Shot a big body Black tail 3 years ago . Shot at 40 yards . First shot it just stood there no flench or reaction. Put one more in still stood there. Not flench. Checked gun. Deer walked forward 10' and stopped . Put the third round in him still stood there. Put 2 more rounds in gun went. 20' and dropped . Had. 3 holes in it . I have never shot any animal that did not react to being shot . And I've taken over 25 blackeys in my life.  :mgun: :mgun:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:02:58 PM by YoterHunter »

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Couldn't help but notice that they went all the way back up to where he shot from and located his empties for the camera but didn't bother to pick them up.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]