collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: CZ Bobwhite 20GA?  (Read 19687 times)

Offline GrampasGuns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
CZ Bobwhite 20GA?
« on: December 04, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »
Im lookin at them. Does anyone own one? Im looking for some feedback, trying to decide if I want a double trigger, or to fork over a little more money to get a CZ Ringneck with the english stock. Straight grip is a must for me.

I got the new gun bug real bad, Its been about 4 years, and I just got promoted so a new scattergun is in order.

Also gearing up to make the speech when my lady finds out I got another shotgun, she doesn't understand. She thinks I should have to suffer in the uplands with a 8lb gun!
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
Re: CZ Bobwhite 20GA?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
I looked seriously at them and then read all kinds of reviews (many sites) that left me with a less than warm feeling.  I guess many folks had issues with them.  It looked like a nice classy gun.  Maybe they worked out the issues--at that time I believe bulk of the problems were with soldering/welding and the ejectors.  I thought it was pretty light and well balanced.

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
I live in Redmond and can't find a single spot that has them so I can't  take a good look at one.

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
The ones I found were at a Sportsman's Warehouse in Silverdale.  But that was a few years back.  They had about a dozen of the CZ SxS guns.  Not sure if Wade's would carry them...they seem more tactical these days.

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
I do not know the gun and cannot comment on it. However, it seems like a trip to DJ's in Bothell might be worthwhile.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
I bought one a couple of years ago for shooting steel out on the salt.  I like straight gripped double trigger sxs but didn't want to take a good gun out and take a chance on ruining it.  The little CZ has been great, it is a non ejector gun so any comments about ejectors are most likely about the O/U's and trigger problems are almost always with single trigger guns.  One big bonus is the barrels are black chrome instead of blued but you cant tell the difference. 

I and vertically challenged so I went with the 26" barrel and wacked an inch off the stock so it handles great for me, if your of standard proportions I'd get the 28" barrel.

Mine has been absolutely reliable and handles everything from the lightest  skeet loads to 3" 1 1/4oz Hevi shot shells without problems.  They come with five choketubes, so your cover for everything from the getgo.  They are stiff to open and take a while to break in.

PM me if you have anymore questions
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:35:49 AM »
I live in Redmond and can't find a single spot that has them so I can't  take a good look at one.
what is your budget?

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »
I've seen them at Sportsman's Warehouse and at Cabela's in the past.

For every bad review I've generally seen 3 that were good. For an economy double I don't think you can wrong with CZ. They are not suited for the pounding that a range gun is, but for hunting and rounds of clays you should be alright. I would worry more about a Stoeger, though to be honest I've hunted with one for 5+ years now and never had a problem.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »
I've got the Bobwhite in both 12 and 20 gauge.  The Bobwhite has the English grip and the Ringneck is the one with the pistol grip.   The only issue I've had with the 20 gauge Bobwhite is one of the firing pins is slightly too long and causes barely pierced Winchester primers.   Remington primers are slightly thicker and have no issue.  My guess is Winchester "skinnied" up their primers over the years to save $$ on material.

I've owned a DeHaan Huglu since before 2000 and because of it's reliability and construction had no qualms about buying CZ Bobwhites.    Both shotguns are made at the Huglu factory/consortium and constructed using USA CNC and metal specifications.

Barrels are regulated to shoot to the same center POI and also produce a 50/50 pattern.

Two thumbs up here for Bobwhites.   Getting used to the double trigger is the thing as pulling the same trigger twice doesn't fire two shots.

One more thing, it's light and easy to carry.

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
great advice fellas. I've got around 800-9 on how crazy I get.Been borrowing my grandpas citori for the last few years and I need something I treat like a hunting gun.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:20 AM »
Save some more money and buy a good used Baretta silver hawk or a AYA boxlock. I have a Bill Hanus 20ga AYA  and its the best gun I ever owned.
27in barrels, SG, Dtt and a splinter forend. Fixed chokes that mike out to be light imp cyl and light mod, deadly on quail and chukar over a pointing dog.

Bill W, do you ever shoot that Browning o/u I sold you?  Can't tell you enough how much more I like the AYA than that Browning. Find some quail around your place and I'll show you what a real dog can do. I'll even let you shoot first. 

Bob.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
If your on a limited budget and steel shot is in the picture and I think it is coming for everything.  I 'd seriously look to a choke tubed gun over a fixed choke gun unless you can afford multiple sxs's.  Right now you can pick up a new CZ Bobwhite for $650 on the net with free shipping.

You can find lots of used Aya, Sauers, Uggies, even Merkels in your price range but they are all fixed choke guns not rated for steel and soft non-toxics are near $70/bx of 25, you can cut that in half if you reload.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »
Point well taken AWS. That steel thing for hunting chukars is a bunch of crap. I'll use lead until I can no longer hunt. No way can you find a good used AyA or Beretta for $750 -900.
I know Bill W and he seems to like his CZ's, probably worth a try for $750

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
If your on a limited budget and steel shot is in the picture and I think it is coming for everything.  I 'd seriously look to a choke tubed gun over a fixed choke gun unless you can afford multiple sxs's.  Right now you can pick up a new CZ Bobwhite for $650 on the net with free shipping.

You can find lots of used Aya, Sauers, Uggies, even Merkels in your price range but they are all fixed choke guns not rated for steel and soft non-toxics are near $70/bx of 25, you can cut that in half if you reload.

Sorry for being out of the loop, but isn't Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles supposed to help with this problem? I know the stuff is expensive but...

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Save some more money and buy a good used Baretta silver hawk or a AYA boxlock. I have a Bill Hanus 20ga AYA  and its the best gun I ever owned.
27in barrels, SG, Dtt and a splinter forend. Fixed chokes that mike out to be light imp cyl and light mod, deadly on quail and chukar over a pointing dog.

Bill W, do you ever shoot that Browning o/u I sold you?  Can't tell you enough how much more I like the AYA than that Browning. Find some quail around your place and I'll show you what a real dog can do. I'll even let you shoot first. 

Bob.

I shoot them both Bob.  The CZ has 3 inch chambers and take steel for ducks and pheasant release areas.   The Browning has 2 3/4 inch chambers and doesn't have the same payload for steel.  Also I misplaced the choke tubes for the Browning and haven't found where I hid them.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »

Bob.

Bill Hanus died so hold on to your shotgun.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
I've got a CZ woodcock,I waited to buy one until I'd seen how reliable they were,which was kind of a stupid mistake that cost me more money as the prices went up.Functions fine,shoots well,I've poured thousands of rounds down the tubes at skeet and sporting clays,I've hunted wetside chickens with it.It's a .410.The guy I shoot with has the SXS version with 2 triggers,being older and retired he shoots 66% more than I do per week,he poured 16 boxes a week through his for years.Finally broke earlier this fall,firing pin.He found a smith to work on it and got that repaired and then the forearm started to have issues,apparantly the silver solder that holds the lug on is letting go.He said he's got over 20K rounds thru it. I like mine and wouldn't hesitate at getting another one.I've got 2 brownings,1 superposed,1 citori,a Rizzini combo set 20/28,and a Fausti.For a straight up hunting gun and the price you have to pay I consider the CZ to be a value buy,if it gets dinged,scratched beat up......... it really doesn't matter.Can't say the same about some of the others I have,almost too pretty to drag around through the brush/rocks/fences.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
All CZ's are good.. some might have quirks but still worth every penny :twocents:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
I've got a CZ woodcock,I waited to buy one until I'd seen how reliable they were,which was kind of a stupid mistake that cost me more money as the prices went up.Functions fine,shoots well,I've poured thousands of rounds down the tubes at skeet and sporting clays,I've hunted wetside chickens with it.It's a .410.The guy I shoot with has the SXS version with 2 triggers,being older and retired he shoots 66% more than I do per week,he poured 16 boxes a week through his for years.Finally broke earlier this fall,firing pin.He found a smith to work on it and got that repaired and then the forearm started to have issues,apparantly the silver solder that holds the lug on is letting go.He said he's got over 20K rounds thru it. I like mine and wouldn't hesitate at getting another one.I've got 2 brownings,1 superposed,1 citori,a Rizzini combo set 20/28,and a Fausti.For a straight up hunting gun and the price you have to pay I consider the CZ to be a value buy,if it gets dinged,scratched beat up......... it really doesn't matter.Can't say the same about some of the others I have,almost too pretty to drag around through the brush/rocks/fences.
I agree you wont see me dragging my Merkels out amongst the rocks

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
Gentlemen,

CZ should buy you guys a drink im sold. Gettin me a 20 here soon! Cant wait to chase some birds with it.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't believe in safe queens and even my best guns go hunting, brush and barbwire give them character.  I buy a gun for the way they handle and they don't handle at all in the safe.  None of my guns are an investment and my wife will be happy with whatever she gets out of them when I pass.  Most of my guns don't shoot steel so the CZ for most of my waterfowling on the salt.  But I still load soft non-toxics to hunt ducks on occasion just because it is so much fun to hunt with old and good guns.

Good time on the coast.

Busting wild birds in the uplands

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:17:34 PM by AWS »

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »
I should have mentioned I have an AyA Matador in 12 gauge choked Modified and Full, with a single selective trigger that needs a new home.   I bought it 10 or so years ago and it wasn't what I wanted.

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Point well taken AWS. That steel thing for hunting chukars is a bunch of crap. I'll use lead until I can no longer hunt. No way can you find a good used AyA or Beretta for $750 -900.
I know Bill W and he seems to like his CZ's, probably worth a try for $750

I beg to differ, there are deals out there if you look for them.  I got this AYA model 30 for $300:

This Uggie cost me $275:

I also think the Bobwhite is an excellent gun and I bet one can be picked up for $600.  I had a Ringneck and sold it because I didn't like the pistol grip and single trigger.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 05:15:45 AM »
IMO there are way too many nice used SXS's out there in the $1000-$1500 range that are extremely well built to settle for a CZ.  Not to bash the CZ's, but they are a bottom of the barrel SxS built for a price point.  SXS's are not cheap to build, and that's why they are expensive.  Add that to the balance and swing of a nice SXS, and there is a reason they aren't cheap. 

Three weeks ago we were pheasant hunting on a farm in PA.  All of us were shooting doubles, but a few of the guys were shooting really really nice doubles. One was an English best 12 GA built by Jeffery.  It was a gun worth about $20K used, and was absolutely beautiful.  I can't tell you how well that gun swung and how well balanced it was.  It was a 12GA that weighed about 6 1/2lbs and handled better than almost every 20GA I've ever shouldered.  That gun made me realize what an extremely well made gun is all about.  It also made me jealous that I'll never be able to afford one, even in my wildest dreams.  If it were me, I'd skip the CZ and save a few more dollars and buy a nice used SxS.  In the long run, if you ever sell it, you will come out ahead.  Cheap used SXS's have almost zero demand in the used market.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 07:32:26 AM »
IMO there are way too many nice used SXS's out there in the $1000-$1500 range that are extremely well built to settle for a CZ.  Not to bash the CZ's, but they are a bottom of the barrel SxS built for a price point.  SXS's are not cheap to build, and that's why they are expensive.  Add that to the balance and swing of a nice SXS, and there is a reason they aren't cheap. 

Three weeks ago we were pheasant hunting on a farm in PA.  All of us were shooting doubles, but a few of the guys were shooting really really nice doubles. One was an English best 12 GA built by Jeffery.  It was a gun worth about $20K used, and was absolutely beautiful.  I can't tell you how well that gun swung and how well balanced it was.  It was a 12GA that weighed about 6 1/2lbs and handled better than almost every 20GA I've ever shouldered.  That gun made me realize what an extremely well made gun is all about.  It also made me jealous that I'll never be able to afford one, even in my wildest dreams.  If it were me, I'd skip the CZ and save a few more dollars and buy a nice used SxS.  In the long run, if you ever sell it, you will come out ahead.  Cheap used SXS's have almost zero demand in the used market.

This was the same stuff said about the AyA's in the 60's.   The main complaint I heard was the metal was too soft.

Not intended as an insult to the above poster but it took me 18 months before I bought my first Huglu as I couldn't see how anything that cheap could be of any quality.   My first was a DeHaan Huglu over and under and I was comparing it against Citori's and Beretta's.  The DeHaan was 2/3rds of the price of a Citori.  When I bought the CZ's in 2008 I checked them to see if they were the same quality as the DeHaan gun.  In both cases it's the same factory in Turkey for CZ and DeHaan.  In order to make an accurate assessment of the CZ's the rater should handle a CZ and compare it to a higher priced "US" model.  The only difference should be the price of labor as the Turkey factory uses US style NC machinery and US metal specifications in the manufacture of the  shotguns.  Turkish walnut has been bought for years.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
Our gun club was one of the first to import Huglu shotguns back in 2002-2003 into the USA. The single trigger mechanisms were very poor, in fact most needed some gun smithing to resolve. The POI on most of the original guns was spiratick. The wood to metal fit was very good and the Turkish walnut upgrades were worth more than the metal work. Over time they improved their design and improved the machining process. We paid 600 US for S X S, any gauge, with exhibition grade wood. Again the wood was worth four times what the metal was worth.
Huglu contracted CZ AS THE IMPORTER and things really started to change in quality. Dehaan only orders guns to his specs, engraving, etc.

Owning shotguns in the hundreds to tens of thousands, I shoot what is comfortable to me. As fishnfowler noted, you can get a lot for 3-800 bucks. Bottom line, shoot was is comfortable to you.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
If a guy keeps an eye out some dandy SXS's can be had for under 1000 bucks, I've seen quite a few Fox sterlingworths over the last couple of years for sale over on the coverdog trial message board in the 750-1250 range,I think a Fox gun is a pretty good gun,aren't they a  Parker knockoff?My old boss has his dads SXS's and there are 2 L.C. Smiths,a Parker and a Fox.He considered them worthless until I informed him that they were not.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »
Those are great USA made guns. I bought a 1907 fox sterling worth for 200 bucks and did a complete restoration for 850.00, rust blue, wood and all. The metal was in great shape,  now worth every bit of 1500$$

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
Like the stories above, there's lots of nice used SXS's out there that can be had for very good bargains.  I'd been looking for a nice LC Smith 20GA for a couple years.  Between the combination of not finding what I wanted for what I could afford, and not really being able to afford much, I never could pull the trigger.  I finally stumbled across an extremely rare LC Smith Trap Grade.  I couldn't afford it, but I bought It anyways.  It's easily worth 2X's what I paid for it. 

Take your time and learn as much as you can about doubles.  Not only will you have fun learning, you will end up with a heck of a gun that anyone would be proud of.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal