collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern WA Raffle Deer Tag  (Read 130338 times)

Offline Wea300mag

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Eastern WA Raffle Deer Tag
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
I'm still here, just real busy. I was all tooled up to do a 3-day salmon derby this weekend and now have to re-tool to go summer hunting. If I could find away around this work thing, life would be much easier. I will be making frequent updates of my adventures this hunting season, complete with photos. You will know every time I get a flat tire, stuck in the snow, trip and roll down the mountain, or see anything worth writing about. As I mentioned before, I will be spending this weekend in the Desert Unit. I think my real hunting season starts around Thanksgiving but I don't want to pass up an opportunity to carry my rifle through unit 290 dressed in camo. I will be spending several weekends there over the next couple months then after Thanksgiving I will be concentrating on Chelan and Okanogan counties.

Thanks for all the positive comments, I will give this tag all the respect and effort it deserves.

Dan

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:55:47 AM by Wea300mag »
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 08:32:13 AM »
 :tup:

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Good luck with that tag, seems like you know some areas and got a plan. that is very good, like somebody said, set a goal, and stick to it.  Last year wasnt as easy as we thought it would be, in the thinking we would see a few more of the upper tier bucks.  Just cause you have that tag doesnt mean you have to wait till the very last day like we did haha.  Also remember you will have company the whole month of december up in the chelan county area. The auction tag gentleman loves that places and will be there.  Let me know if you need any help.

Garrett

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 11:29:45 AM »
Garrett,

I followed you and your dads progress last year, in fact I was starting to sweat when you guys were running out of time. I sure hope I don't have to go through that. I will be having nightmares soon of having to shoot a small forked horn in the last hour (not that I actually would). I don't think Jim Cook has the Governors tag this year, he had it last year. As we get closer to the end of Nov, I would definitely like to pick your brain.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:16:52 PM by Wea300mag »

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:10:41 PM »
You are right, Jim Cook does not have the auction tag this year.

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 02:12:56 PM »
Dan,

Just have a ball looking at deer, and seeing what this state has to offer. i am just nervous for you up in some of the chelan county areas, they have done a great job in taking care of all those big bucks. Lots of smaller guys out there.  But there is always a pig or two around. I will keep my eye open.  Definitly hit me up, you can talk to me and my dad.  Also i think Jim did buy it again, atleast thats what i heard earlier.  he has had it like the last 4 years i think.  Maybe he took a year off :)  anyways, talk with you soon. have fun this weekend. Just kill a monster Sept. 1st, then you wont have to put your self threw all the pain haha

Garrett

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
Garrett, long time no talk man how ya been?  Any of your buddies draw any late tags?  I'm not sure I'll be making my elk hunt because of my shoulder but I'm trying my best to get it rehabilitated ASAP...

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
Spent some time in the Desert Unit this weekend. It was a little different than I expected, lots more cover and lots of area. Went in off of Dodson road and followed the Winchester Wasteway for several miles. Lots of dove shooting going on close to access road but the further I made it from the dove hunters the more deer I saw. Saw a few smaller bucks but nothing even close to big enough to shoot. Whoever told me not to ride my mountain bike, I thank you. The ground was way too soft, it would have been brutal. I did not get close enough to get any good pictures, that and I had too many tools attached to my neck (camera, binocs, pack, gun, etc) for quick access. I need to find a better camera holder to free up some space. I will probably go back in a couple weeks when the youth hunters go in, if any of you are out there let me know I don't mind helping your parents bird dog for you.

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 08:38:58 PM »
Wea300mag how's the hunt going?
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
To be honest, I haven't been hunting since my last post on this subject. Here is my plan as of today though. I am going to the Desert Unit on Oct 27/28 and again on Nov 3/4. I'm off to Montana Nov 9-25. I am hoping that 50CalJim and I can harvest our animals by Nov 21 so I can come back here and spend 4 days during the prime rut in the Desert Unit. Dec 1-2 I will be combing Okanogan and Chelan Counties. Finally, I have from Dec 7 until the end of the year off from work to complete my mission. I have been saving vacation time just in case I needed it for a special occasion. On Jan. 2, my 4 weeks of vacation will be whittled down to 2 hours. It will be time well spent though. 

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
It's almost like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Game warden see you hauling some monster mulie out in late Nov and is thinking "I'm gonna make Sergeant on this bust!!"  Then, you whip out the Golden Ticket.  bwwaaahahahahaha

It's like the contests we all entered on the back of cereal boxes.  It's not really possible that someone could win, is it?? :dunno:  :drool:

Offline WACATHUNTER

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »
Congrats 300mag!!! Like the others said keep us informed and I am sure that you will recieve enough help through all these folks.  Good luck and we'll keep our eyes open. 
WACAT

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Thanks CATHUNTER. I just found out my wireless card has coverage in the Motel I will be staying in Chelan so I will be able to give frequent updates in December.

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 06:26:24 PM »
Well I've been out scouting the last couple weekends in the Desert Unit and The Methow. Lots of deer in the Desert Unit, mostly does and dink bucks. Met a permit hunter at one of the access areas on Sat. We walked in the first 1/2 mile together and two minutes after we split up I peaked my head over a dune and discovered a group of 7 deer with a decent (20") 4x4. I managed to get the permit hunters attention with some arm waving and let him know about the deer. We put the sneak on them and got within 200 yards. He was going to take the buck but it jumped over the next dune before he could settle down enough to take the shot. I went on my way again and found deer over every dune. I found one good 4x6 nontypical buck, it was about 26", real heavy on the 6 side and real weak on the 4 side. He was too far for my POS camera. I attached a couple desert photos from the top of my favorite dune and a pic of a decent buck found in the Methow on the way home. I thought I took a pic of a dink 3 pt sniffing a doe from up close but ... Once again my camera is a POS. My new Panasonic FZ-18 will arrive this week so my pics will be much improved from now on. It's off to MT for two weeks after I slog through this work week, then back to get serious about the Raffle Tag.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 06:36:01 PM »
If it gets down to the last couple weeks give a shout, I, like a lot of others on here, would go out to the places I know well and do some scouting for you.................rf
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]