collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the best all around predator rifle scope under $1000?  (Read 15184 times)

Offline BullMagnet76

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
What is the best all around predator rifle scope under $1000?
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »
I just bought myself a new Ruger Predator rifle in . 223 now i need to top it?  What is the best all around predator hunting scope under $1000.  So far im leaning towards a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40.  Any better ideas?

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: What is the best all around predator rifle scope under $1000?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
If you want to spend a grand on a scope and can afford it, more power to you. But, I don't see the need to spend that type of money for a scope. I've shot coyotes with a scope in the $200 range and they were just as dead with as a $ 1000 one. You're gonna hear about all the light gathering at dusk and dawn and everything else in between. Go to www.predatormasters.com and get some ideas from guys who are hardcore...........
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »
I just bought a vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 for $540... cannot go wrong there :tup: the warrenty itself is worth it. You'll always have a nice scope no matter what!

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
For under a $1000...lol...that sir is a reasonable budget and an easy answer.

VORTEX all the way! Go viper HS-T has 30mm tubes, can go 44/50mm objective. 4-16 power is awesome! There tactile turret is awesome.

Oh and unconditional lifetime guarantee regardless of how yah decide or accidentally break it.

There's my vote. If yah want a phone number of my dealer I can get that for yah in PM.

Jay

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:36:35 PM by Coasthunterjay »

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
For under a $1000...lol...that sir is a reasonable budget and an easy answer.

VORTEX all the way! Go viper HS-T has 30mm tubes, can go 44/50mm objective. 4-16 power is awesome! There tactile turret is awesome.

Oh and unconditional lifetime guarantee regardless of how yah decide or accidentally break it.

There's my vote. If yah want a phone number of my dealer I can get that for yah in PM.

Jay

What did I say right before you  :chuckle: :tup:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
I just bought myself a new Ruger Predator rifle in . 223 now i need to top it?  What is the best all around predator hunting scope under $1000.  So far im leaning towards a Trijicon Accupoint 3x9x40.  Any better ideas?
You get what you pay for, I think a $1000 budget is awesome.  I would look at the Mk4 Leupolds, maybe Swarovski. I guess it depends on what type of predator hunting you are going to do.

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Heck, you got that much of a budget, what's another couple hundy and go Nightforce.

Offline BullMagnet76

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
I am going to be doing a little of everything from Western Wa timber to Eastern Washington sage brush, I don't necessarily wanna spend $1000 but if there is a scope that is worth it, I might just get it.

Offline Shooter

• Hunter
  • NRA Lifetime Member, RMEF, MDF
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:28 PM »
Leupold VX3 4.5x14 50mm objective with side focus and CDS dial to dial em up, incredible scope, once you have side focus you will never go back.
This is the Hunter's badge of glory, That he protect and tend his quarry, Hunt with honour, as is due, And through the beast to God be true.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
+1 on the VX3 4.5X14X50!  I have 2 and can't imagine it getting much better.  I have one side focus and I'm still on the fence with it but it's a GREAT scope. 
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
Take a look at the Shepherd 5.56.  It has a built in range finding ballistic recticle set up.  The 5.56 has 9 inch circles graduated out to 1000 yds.  Pick the circle that fits and pull the trigger.
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 12:20:59 PM »
Stick with a 1" tube and an objective lens of 40-44mm. Your not gaining anything with a 30mm tube other then price and more elevation and windage you dont get any more light gathering. I have talked to a lot of people in leupold, Zeiss, and nikon and they they tell me that the bigger objectives are really just a sales thing they lose light In them because there an extra piece of glass in them. Every lens in a scope nocks down the light gathering by around 20% the coatings on the lens are what bring the gathering ablity back in to a scope. You will see in strong daylight that some brands look very good but when light fades you see brands that will shine the ones that might look better in strong light.

I love Zeiss scopes for the light gathering and how clear they are. I do like the accupoint for the quick point of aim it gives with the lighted triangle.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
You don't say if your calling or just taking targets of opertunity.

If your calling I'd look into something with a much lower end of magnification which mean a larger FOV to make tracking a moving coyote easier in cover and to be able to spot openings ahead of the critter for a shot.  1x4x20 and 1.5x6x40 scopes make superb calling scopes with large FOVs, over double that of a 3x9 and 4 or 6x on the top end will work for those ones that hang up on the far hill.  And I'd go with a duplex or heavy duplex as most modern predator cartridges you can hold on fur to 300 yrds and there is no need for all the business of fancy reticles that can slow you down.

For open country targets of opertunity you'll be needing to estimate range more and predators will not be charging toward you so you have more time.  Higher power scopes will be of greater advantage here.

I call but do have one gun set up for open country with a 2.5x10 scope on it, most of my rigs carry 1x4 and 1.5x6 scopes on them.

With your budget you could find a really nice 1.5x6 and a 4x16 and set them up in QR rings and keep them sighted in and switch them out depending on the country and style of hunting that day. 

Pics in a Min.
Winter gun set up with 1.5x6x40.

LVSF clone in 22-250 set up for open country 2.5x10 Elite 4200

Drilling set up for calling bear and cougar Weaver K-1.5 mounted low to handle like a DGR scope mount is a claw mount made to remove scope without changing zero.

Same drilling set up with high power scope for stand hunting of big game.  Scopes are interchangeable and always sighted in, just pull the release button and you can change scopes.  In fact you can hunt birds with out the scope and keep it in your game bag and pop it on in a few seconds for a shot at a deer or coyote.  In fact this rig is at my families place in WI for grouse, coyote and deer hunting.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 02:39:37 PM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline VarmintVentilator

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 03:19:48 PM »
There are some really nice scopes on the market today that are well under that price range.  My only suggestion would be, get 50mm lens over 40mm for two reasons.  1) low light conditions the 50mm pulls in more light.  2) I myself can pick up the dog much quicker with the 50mm.  I have both, like both, but I prefer the 50mm.  Especially after shooting it for a couple of years.  Just my thought and  :twocents: worth.  ( All three scopes I use are Zeiss Rapid Z's)

Offline jayrod9528

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
There are some really nice scopes on the market today that are well under that price range.  My only suggestion would be, get 50mm lens over 40mm for two reasons.  1) low light conditions the 50mm pulls in more light.  2) I myself can pick up the dog much quicker with the 50mm.  I have both, like both, but I prefer the 50mm.  Especially after shooting it for a couple of years.  Just my thought and  :twocents: worth.  ( All three scopes I use are Zeiss Rapid Z's)
I have to agree. I have both 50 and 40 mm and I would say the 50mm is much nicer.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 10:16:58 PM »
I say spend half ur budget on a scope the rest on a fox pro
Go hawks

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
  I don't know some of the stuff you guys are talking about but keep at it.    I luv reading stuff written by someone who knows more than I do.   very interesting.  if I win lotto can I hire you guys to help me buy toys and go shoot at stuff.  thank you,    mike w

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
I have one of these sheperd scopes on a 7 rem mag, the circle thing works and works fast.I finished off my mountain goat with it 21 years ago with a 700 yard circle hail mary.My grandad had one too,he dispatched a mule deer at 450.It's very simple and requires zero thinking,fits in the circle let it go as advertised,paperwork I have says "Guaranteed hits to 500 yards" The circles out to 500 have individual crosshairs in them.The model I have has 18" circles for deer or turn a knob and you get 24" circles for elk. I like mine it's kind of a boat anchor big but oh well,was state of the art 25 years ago.

Take a look at the Shepherd 5.56.  It has a built in range finding ballistic recticle set up.  The 5.56 has 9 inch circles graduated out to 1000 yds.  Pick the circle that fits and pull the trigger.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
I much prefer a 40mm or smaller scope on a calling rig as the 50mm scopes has to be mounted so high that you have to lift your head off the stock to see through it(been there) and fast target acquisition goes down the drain.  Also there is no advantage to a 50mm scope over a 40mm until you get above 6x for brightness and FOV is the same for both as long as the glass and coatings are the same..

Scopes do not gather or pull light, the 50mm allows more light in , but the amount of light to the eye is restricted by pupil of the eye.  In a person in their prime it is about 7mm and goes down as we age.  Any exit pupil over 7mm on a scope is wasted.  Exit pupil is figured by dividing the objective diameter by the power.  A 42mm objective lens has a 7mm exit pupil at 6x at 8x it takes a 56mm objective lens to have a 7mm exit pupil.

If you feel that a 50mm scope is in your best interest look into installing a cheek rest to get a solid cheek weld.

Cheek rest on a 22-250

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:06:31 AM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline VarmintVentilator

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
Good thoughts AWS, but I've never needed a cheek rest on any gun I've ever shot   :dunno:
But I also won't buy a gun be it rifle or shotgun if it doesn't fit the way I want it to.  But that's just me and the way I was taught, everybody has there own way of shooting.  And I still prefer 50mm.    :)

Offline jayrod9528

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2013, 03:49:48 PM »
Good thoughts AWS, but I've never needed a cheek rest on any gun I've ever shot   :dunno:
But I also won't buy a gun be it rifle or shotgun if it doesn't fit the way I want it to.  But that's just me and the way I was taught, everybody has there own way of shooting.  And I still prefer 50mm.    :)
I'm with you VV I shoot an AR with a standard A2 stock with a 50mm scope and I have it on a RRA cantilever mount. I love my setup and have never thought I needed a cheek rest. I feel that in really low light/night hunting that a 50mm gives you a slight advantage and when hunting coyotes you need every advantage you can get. To each there own if you like a 40mm 42mm or 50mm just get and shoot what is right for you.  :tup:
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
My vote is a Leupold 4.5x14x40mm, with 30mm tube, side focus with cds, they run about $750.00.
It just works, I don't believe there is a perfect scope no more than the perfect "do all" rifle, but this scope is good and works great for the majority of my hunting - driving and searching for coyotes, shooting off baits, and calling. If calling only I use a 1.5x5 on a accurized Mini 14.  :twocents:

Offline slm9s

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
You can occasionally find a used Nightforce Benchrest 8-32 for $1000.  Or they used to make a 5.5-22 "varminter" that go for around $800.

Sightron SIII 6-24, 8-32, or 10-50 with the LRMOA reticle and 1/4 moa clicks.

Offline Lunchbox1981

• Scout
  • Big German Bache(Sow)
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:03 AM »
I personally like the Meopta Meostar in 3-12 X 56.  Great variable power allows for plenty or eye relief and great in dusk, dawn and even night time hunting.  With a red dot you can get it for just under $1000.  I would take it over any Zeiss Conquest any day of the week.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »
I just spent 299.00 on a lewy 3x9x40 never spent more than that on any scope.Never had a problem with dropping yotes cats mulies blackies or bears,westside and eastside and southern Idaho..If I had a grand to spend I would still buy the same scope..An extra 700 bucks to use on fuel or ammo is nice.to each their own

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal