collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pictures on how to skin your deer/elk properly to save the cape for mounting.  (Read 23881 times)

Offline bowsandhose

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
glad you took the time to post  :tup: Thanks
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.               IAFF
Save a 1000 elk kill a wolf.

Offline CoastieCoug

• Pilgrim
Could have really used that three weeks ago  :bash: :chuckle:
Kevin

Offline getumclose

• Tracker
Cool Charlie,  Thats what i imagined when you explained it to beau and I.

Offline oneezreiter

• Longhunter
Great instructions, You did a good job of explaining it.  How do you get the head out?
Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." 

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
Great instructions, You did a good job of explaining it. How do you get the head out?

That's a whole nother post. You would have to see it done to get the idea on the head, I don't think I can take enough pictures to show how to properly cape a head out. Its actually pretty easy but there are a few points that can be easily messed up like the eye lids and the nostrils and last the corner of the mouth. You first start by making a Y incision between the buck pedicles towards the back of the head and where the y meets you cut straight down the back. You would then skin the back of the head towards the earbutts and but through the base of them as close to the back of the skull as possible, see this is where pictures could really help . Then you would use a knife and or screwdriver to pry around the antler bases once that is done you can begin skinning the head being carefull ounce you get to the eyes and tear ducts. This part is where I will stick my fingers into the eye from the hair side and feel the eyelids and pull them out as far as I can and carefully cut around the eye where the lids connect to the eye ball. The front corner of the eye can be tricky for a rookie also, just need to keep to the bone and cut through the cartilage and connecting tissue. Once through the corner of the eye you have to deal with the tear duct. For this I use a screw driver and slid it down tight against the bone kind of prying the tearduct out as you go. . Now you can continue skinning towards the nose , be carefull not to cut through the lips, you'll want to put your finger inside the mouth to feel where the corner of the mouth is. Ounce you get to it you can cut through the cheek muscle about 2 inches back from the mouth corner on each side. Now you can open the mouth and cut through the gum line, stay just above the teeth, there is a faint line you can see most of the was around the gum's except for the jaw, right behing the front lower teeth you will have to gut along the top portion to the front of the back teeth and then you can cut along that line just bellow the molars. The top gum line below the nose you will cut straight through along the bone into the nasal cavity and then up about an inch in to the bridge of the nose, this will keep all the nostril intact. Now you can skin down to your cut lines you just made and pull the cape off the head. Yes I know, it is probably very hard to follow and seeing it done in person will make it much easier to learn the capping process . This should give you an idea at least ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:38:01 AM by bucklucky »

Offline stringflinger4elk

• Kill'em and Grill'em and pass me the Bottle!
  • Tracker
  • Give em' the Shaft!
good explanation thanks :)
God is Great, Beer is GOOD! and People are crazy...
The Key to drinking all day is to make sure you start... early. 
Sorry what did you say I was daydreaming about my Photo shoot for the cover of Bowhunter Magazine!

Offline oneezreiter

• Longhunter
Would it be best to just bring it in when you get to the head if you are a rookie? 
Of all the branches of men in the forces there is none which shows more devotion and faces grimmer perils than the submariners." 

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
Would it be best to just bring it in when you get to the head if you are a rookie? 

Most definately, ASAP. Dont want to wait to bring it in either. Or you can freeze it if it is a day old or so. If it has been out for a couple days or more it needs to be caped off and tacken care of immediately. Fresh is best as it will help insure that the cape will be good and no slipping will occure. Freezing is an option also but not recommended because it now has to go through the defrosting and thawing process.

Offline oneezreiter

• Longhunter
OK.  That will be my plan then if I manage anything this year.

Sir Winston Churchill

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
Guess I should chime in here too, thanks for the write up Charlie. It gives a good example. :tup:

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
Thanks man!

Offline Skinner

• Scout
  • 2007 Methow bear
Thanks buck we're gonna try and save ya some but hopefully you can give us the other part (taking it off the skull) b4 hunting season.  Hard to put a couple bulls with horns in the freezer.  I want to stock up on a couple b4 I bring them up.  Thats if the're not monsters, but I guess I would need to bring em up anyways! ;)
IAFF Local 828

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
If I had a frozen buck head I could get you some pics. You could always skin around the horns and ears and peal it down and cut your horns off and freeze the bulls head and cape too. Thats not too hard to do. ?? Just a thought.

Offline Skinner

• Scout
  • 2007 Methow bear
Thats what I was thinking!
IAFF Local 828

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
For you newcommers.

* Advertisement