collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Needing some answers  (Read 2093 times)

Offline NWTFhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Needing some answers
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »
I was wondering if any of you have ever hunted in the Toppinish Wildlife Area ?  I have been seeing more and more ducks and geese everyday there, but have not been able to contact anyone at the office to put in for a blind.  Is there a way to do so online, or do you have to be there at the crack of dawn?  How many of you have hunted that?
Friday there were Geese all over, and today the ducks were thick.
I usually hunt the Sunnyside Game unit, and have pretty good luck there. What I like about Sunnyside is that I can hunt ducks right off, switch to pheasant later, and go back to ducks at sunset.
There has been a good number of geese in the Goldendale area lately also.  Trying to get permission to hunt some of the fields they have been in lately.
If there is anyone in the Tricities that enjoys waterfoul feel free to holler. I will hit sunnyside everyweekend after deer season closes, and dont mind a partner as long as you are safe in the field.
Cameron

Offline STEVO85

• Tracker
Re: Needing some answers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
  The toppenish unit is i think 5 diff. units the one by the office and the other just 200 yards west of it are designated blinds, no draws just park in front of a empty blind # and walk out. The crack of dawn is an understatement. The other units furthur west are free range hunting i believe, set up where ever you want. The designated blinds you are supose to hunt/be shooting within 50 feet of the blind.
  As for pheasent. You can hunt them out there but not until after 10am i believe. Someone would have to be duck hunting your blind still or you would probably piss someone off and possably get a ticket for decoy abandonment. I havent hunted there the last two years so im not positive on everything, but just drive in and they should have a box to pick up a pamphlet, or there might be something in the waterfoul regs. book.

Offline General Disarray

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
No pheasant hunting on the Toppenish NWR until 12 pm.

Blinds correspond with marked post in the parking lot.  If the parking spot is open the blind is open. 

Ducks have been spotty at best out there.  Tons of pintails though.  Shoot one and then watch them for the rest of your hunt.  Wait for the northerns to arrive and pray you get a week between their arrival and when the refuge freezes.

Two main units, Robbins and Pumphouse.  Robbins is open Tues, Thurs, weekends.  Pump is open 7 days a week.

hey, where's Professor Chaos? Anyone seen him?

This post will be deleted in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
General. do you hunt there often ?
There is a cut corn field on the south east side of 97 just as you round the corner before the scale house.  There are pleny of ducks piling in there !  They have some blinds set up and there is now some water pooling now.  I dont know who owns it, or how they get in.. I see a small green gate that is barely off the road.. Could prove to be interesting trying to pull in and get the gate without getting clobbered!
Im sure its private though.

Any of you guys hunt around there and need a good duck or goose caller ?
i would trade a spring turkey hunt in my stommping grounds for some goose and duck action.

General, how are the pheasant in there ?  The sunnyside area has been slow.. I have only found 3 birds there this year.

Offline KwackWacker

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
General. do you hunt there often ?
There is a cut corn field on the south east side of 97 just as you round the corner before the scale house.  There are pleny of ducks piling in there !  They have some blinds set up and there is now some water pooling now.  I dont know who owns it, or how they get in.. I see a small green gate that is barely off the road.. Could prove to be interesting trying to pull in and get the gate without getting clobbered!
Im sure its private though.

Any of you guys hunt around there and need a good duck or goose caller ?
i would trade a spring turkey hunt in my stommping grounds for some goose and duck action.

General, how are the pheasant in there ?  The sunnyside area has been slow.. I have only found 3 birds there this year.

The club on the Eastside of the hwy is owned by westsiders and they only hunt it once or twice a year...I've seen that pond black w/ birds (probably 4000) as for Toppenish..there's better options out there I hunt everyweekend in the area...yuh need private land to keep killin consistent.

I would suggest staying down in the Sunnyside area...try griffin lake or somethin like that...last weekend the river in that area was full of birds.

As for pheasants I've killed 7 this year but on private land...it's a really good year for em.

Good Luck

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal