collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote hunting  (Read 11766 times)

Offline deaddog

• Y.A.R. life member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Coyote hunting
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
I used a 30-06 125 corelok on all the dogs while living in Idaho,all head shots I needed the money for the pelts,I will now use a 22 mag. I like to be real close,I would sit right in the sage bush,Magpies would come in ,soon as the magpie would flare I new what range the dog could see me.My closest shot 6inches off the end of my barrel,average shot was 20 feet.I just love and miss it,here on the wet side they are all close and quick shots
Rasbo, your closest shot was 6" off the barrel? If I read that right I would sure love to hear that story. Getting them in close is realy fun, 6" away would be awsome. come on, tell me the story.
God is great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
I used a 30-06 125 corelok on all the dogs while living in Idaho,all head shots I needed the money for the pelts,I will now use a 22 mag. I like to be real close,I would sit right in the sage bush,Magpies would come in ,soon as the magpie would flare I new what range the dog could see me.My closest shot 6inches off the end of my barrel,average shot was 20 feet.I just love and miss it,here on the wet side they are all close and quick shots
Rasbo, your closest shot was 6" off the barrel? If I read that right I would sure love to hear that story. Getting them in close is realy fun, 6" away would be awsome. come on, tell me the story.
hey dead dog.I was hunting minidoka county idaho,I got out to some moguls visabilty was 75 to a hundred yrds.I sat down in the middle of the bush and called,I seen a better bush a few yrds away so I moved there.I just made another call and from my right a dog jumped over a bush and landed right at my feet, boom ! not a pretty site.I love being close its a passion,The colder the better they will tear at each other to get to ya,I hunted many miles out the sheep herders said im nuts,thats what I like about me.You gotta go for it dead dog.usally I watch the dog as its comming in,when they realize somethings different,The usually stop for a second then I put one between the eyes,The last bob I got hung up at 30 yrds I shot it it between the eyes,I thought. when I got the kitty.the bullit went in the left eye and put a hole the size of a quarter out the back of the head no pelt damage.As soon as I can walk I would love to come east a drill some dogs,

Offline deaddog

• Y.A.R. life member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
hey dead dog.I was hunting minidoka county idaho,I got out to some moguls visabilty was 75 to a hundred yrds.I sat down in the middle of the bush and called,I seen a better bush a few yrds away so I moved there.I just made another call and from my right a dog jumped over a bush and landed right at my feet, boom ! not a pretty site.I love being close its a passion,The colder the better they will tear at each other to get to ya,I hunted many miles out the sheep herders said im nuts,thats what I like about me.You gotta go for it dead dog.usally I watch the dog as its comming in,when they realize somethings different,The usually stop for a second then I put one between the eyes,The last bob I got hung up at 30 yrds I shot it it between the eyes,I thought. when I got the kitty.the bullit went in the left eye and put a hole the size of a quarter out the back of the head no pelt damage.As soon as I can walk I would love to come east a drill some dogs,
  When ever your ready, brother. give a shout, it would be a good time.
God is great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »
Thanks DemonTang. Just curious but what caller would you recommend that isn't really expensive? I figred i would just use the .270 cause i don't want the fur :chuckle:

i plan on using my 270 for them this winter. just shoot the 100gr remington express rounds out of it at 3300fps. those should work great

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
Bankwalker. Those do look like good loads for yotes. But i'm just gonna shoot the accubonds that i have left, because i don't want to mess with sighting in for another load. :dunno:

Offline Yummy and Tasty Animal

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »
I'm gonna jump in here as a newbie to 'yote hunting, too.  I want to use milsurp rifles (cause that's what I got ;)  ) but do I have to buy soft point ammo or is FMJ alright?

just put a 30 round mag in your gat and unload...that's what i would do anyway ;)

Offline alchemyforge

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
Yummy... not an option with the Mosin family- but maybe when I get an SKS I'll try that :)

FAL- Thanks for clarifying that even 'yote control is "hunting."  I ordered a Lee press, dies, a Forster collet-style bullet puller and some150gr Sierra .311 spitzer points... I'll just remove the bullets from my 182gr Bulgarian surplus and the ballistics should be the same as the 147gr Bulgarian that I've been using.  (The 147gr has 2gr more powder than the 182 gr cartridges, so I'm assuming the ballistics should be pretty close with the new bullets).  Thanks again.
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.
—"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand