collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Starting to spearfish for carp? Whatcha think?  (Read 11774 times)

Offline Bigtine96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Starting to spearfish for carp? Whatcha think?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
I saw a Russian guy at Chelan throwing a spear and getting carp, it was pretty impressive.

Offline sirfunkeybut

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
I did  :tup: ill look at the Hawaiian sling thing and try to make one for this summer. As a side note i was moving the bike the other day and crushed my foot, so im in a cast for a little bit  :bash:

Madcow- How was the water temp from June-Sept? Where do you spearfish, rivers or lakes?
Sirfunkeybut- Make a hawaiin sling, there cheap and effective. P.S. you get your "bike" situation figured out?

I  wonder about the safety issues if people understand the "diver down" bout since it is not a common sport and I have had people drive up thinking they were lost crab bouys :dunno: Scary situation if you are the guy below to hear that humm getting louder.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »

I'd wear a full body suit.  For water temps and prevent rash. I got a lot of rashes from the parasites in the water, or whatever it was in the sloughs.
Maybe is was just grass allergy?  head to toe rash.

Umm, never heard about this. Can you give some details or a story of how it went down.  Did it cure up with time/topical creams?  Was this in a lake or a river?  Just curious because this intrigues me?

Would be in Lake Roosevelt June/July wading through ankle to nipple deep water shooting carp. Used to wear old tennis shoes and cutoffs, maybe a tee shirt maybe not.  Anyways after a day in the tall grass I'd have a rash from the water line down, which was usually up to my neck.  Small red bumps that itched but went away by the next morning.  We'd all shower soon as we could get out of the water.
Understand it's been a long time since we could shoot carp on the lake Roosevelt park.

Even now during the late summer anyone familiar with the park knows where to not swim to avoid "swimmers itch"  and it pretty much comes from areas carp like to spawn.

I'm not sure this is what it is,  but if I gave you my best guess I'd say it's cercarial dermatitis

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
I  wonder about the safety issues if people understand the "diver down" bout since it is not a common sport and I have had people drive up thinking they were lost crab bouys :dunno: Scary situation if you are the guy below to hear that humm getting louder.

well now that nearly everyone has to take a boaters course I would hope the red and white and blue and white flags are more commonly known as diver down...  But alas they are not.  I feel safer diving without one as they tend to attract more boatds than they deter.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
 :yeah:

No boater safety course is going to make safer boaters.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:04:44 PM »
At least if you are on SCUBA you only need to worry about "the hum of the motor" if you are in the shallows.  They can drive over you all they want the rest of the time!
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:24 AM »
I grew up diving in Florida, the Keys and Bahamas’ and when I speared, I used a Hawaiian Sling.  It’s a lot more challenging and I would have preferred a spear gun most of the time – but it can be done.   

Just my  :twocents: on Hawaiian Slings.

Carl

Offline whackemstackem

• Hunter
  • Groups: BHK
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 09:33:08 AM »
I will be free diving with not a whole lot of room to run downward :yike: but am thinking of just using a boat in the area so people may be more apt to steer clear.  My speargun is a 110 so it may be a pain to move in low viz but I wanted a gun that had enough power to shoot long shots at big carp. Any suggestions on where to get a good wet suit.  There just aren't many in my area.

Carl- I didn't know you were a spearo. You never cease to amaze me, I still have an extra sling available :tup:
Don't forget to pick up your shells!
FYYFF

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 11:07:33 AM »
Check this place out. 

http://www.leisurepro.com/

I have bought a lot of stuff from them in the past.  good prices.
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline moocher97

• Scout
  • Keep hammering
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
Most freashwater and marshes have "duck mites" there just little bugs that dig into your skin and cause little red bumps. Hence the word duck mite, duck mites come off ducks and geese and such so anywhere theres ducks theres duck mites which explains why you get those bumps. those carp love those back water areas ive always wanted to stick a coupl carp going into the potholes  :chuckle:
Thin red line

NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED NOT SELECTED

Offline madcow41

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
Madcow- How was the water temp from June-Sept? Where do you spearfish, rivers or lakes?
Sirfunkeybut- Make a hawaiin sling, there cheap and effective. P.S. you get your "bike" situation figured out?

I spear long lake near spokane and also the spokane river. I dont eat the fish I just clear out some carp. I wear a 3/2mm suit and am fine. I dont like hoods. I also use a 16lb weight belt to keep me down. Diver bouys are not required as you are not diving. it isnt abnormal for me to get about 20 carp during 1 float down the portion of the river that I spear. Great fertilizer or you could sell them to an asian.

Offline whackemstackem

• Hunter
  • Groups: BHK
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 06:21:32 AM »
Thanks for the info Madcow :tup:
Don't forget to pick up your shells!
FYYFF

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal