collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Northwest guns got better!  (Read 38235 times)

Offline grousefether

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • nothing wrong with being a meat hunter
Re: Northwest guns got better!
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
Muzzloaders.com said they would have the wolf northwest back in stock thursday. I will be ordering mine then.  :IBCOOL: By far the best price around. This will be my first muzzleloader. Any advice for hunting in the rain or snow?
Keep working fellas. Millions on welfare depend on us

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
electrical tape over the breech plug area in the rain  :IBCOOL:

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
When you say misfire, do you mean the hammer hitting the cap, and the cap just not going off?

Yes. That kind of misfire. I also found that if I removed the spent musket cap before patching between shots the fire chamber/ nipple seems to not gunk up as much. But that is purely my anecdotal assumption.
Tomfoolery Approved

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
Muzzloaders.com said they would have the wolf northwest back in stock thursday. I will be ordering mine then.  :IBCOOL: By far the best price around. This will be my first muzzleloader. Any advice for hunting in the rain or snow?
Do it! I love mine, i think it is the perfect little gun for WA.

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »

Do you mean next Thursday cause today is Thursday? I ordered mine from them Monday and they are going to ship it when it comes in
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Offline grousefether

• Tracker
  • nothing wrong with being a meat hunter
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
Yeah they told me they wouldn't have any in stock till next Thursday. Gotta wait till next paycheck anyway.... this weeks fun money went to brakes on the 4 runner. Maintenance on the huntin rig is just as important as sighting in a gun in my opinion
Keep working fellas. Millions on welfare depend on us

Offline d.winsor

• Tracker
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
The testing of the CVA Wolf Northwest continues!

Last week I shot my Wolf Northwest using the 350gr Hornady FPB, 320gr T/C Maxi-Ball, and 348gr PowerBelt AeroTip. I also tried Hodgen's 777 powder to see how it would work in it.

Bottom line up front: the Hornady FPB did pretty well, the 348gr PowerBelt also did well, but slightly less so, and the T/C Maxi-Ball was a dismal failure.

Unfortunately, I also had a number of hang fires with the 777. The hang fires were very short, but did not do good things for my accuracy. I'm not sure if I have a bad batch of powder, or if hang fires are just a fact of life when shooting 777 with musket caps. Does anybody have any insight on this issue?

Finally, I just ordered some Thor bullets as well. When they arrive, I'll give them a shot and let you know how they work for me.

I've updated my review to reflect these new results and you can read the details below if you're interested.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2014/06/cva-wolf-northwest-review/

I thought you said your 777 was 3 years old, I don't use 777 but I have read numerous times that old 777 will give those kinds of problems.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Offline The Big Game Hunter

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/biggamehuntingadventures
    • Big Game Hunting Adventures
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2014, 05:53:59 AM »

Last week I shot my Wolf Northwest using the 350gr Hornady FPB, 320gr T/C Maxi-Ball, and 348gr PowerBelt AeroTip. I also tried Hodgen's 777 powder to see how it would work in it.

Bottom line up front: the Hornady FPB did pretty well, the 348gr PowerBelt also did well, but slightly less so, and the T/C Maxi-Ball was a dismal failure.

Unfortunately, I also had a number of hang fires with the 777. The hang fires were very short, but did not do good things for my accuracy. I'm not sure if I have a bad batch of powder, or if hang fires are just a fact of life when shooting 777 with musket caps. Does anybody have any insight on this issue?

Finally, I just ordered some Thor bullets as well. When they arrive, I'll give them a shot and let you know how they work for me.

I've updated my review to reflect these new results and you can read the details below if you're interested.

I thought you said your 777 was 3 years old, I don't use 777 but I have read numerous times that old 777 will give those kinds of problems.  Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, my 77 is pretty old and I'm not surprised it was giving me problems. I'll probably buy another batch and see how it works for me. Anybody have recommendations for any other type of black powder substitute in addition to 777?

Offline raydog

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:31 AM »

Thanks for the input. Yeah, my 77 is pretty old and I'm not surprised it was giving me problems. I'll probably buy another batch and see how it works for me. Anybody have recommendations for any other type of black powder substitute in addition to 777?
I'm pretty much a total muzzy noob, but for the little bit of research 777 seems to be the one of the best. There is this stuff called blackhorn 209 that had really good reviews, but beings I'm such a noob I was confused because it said 209.lol

Offline raydog

• Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »
" Blackhorn 209 is recommended for high-performance muzzleloaders with 209 primer ignition systems where the primer is TOTALLY enclosed. Not for use with any special muzzleloading primers, #11, musket or high-powered rifle primers. This powder is not suitable for sidelock muzzleloaders."

Never mind the black horn stuff!

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
I was at Sunbirds in Chehalis today and they have a bunch of RWS musket caps and #11s.
Tomfoolery Approved

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
I was at Sunbirds in Chehalis today and they have a bunch of RWS musket caps and #11s.
Hey, that's my stash!

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
That stash got a little lighter tonight. Hahaha. I was hoping they had 777 loose powder in stock but struck out on that.
Tomfoolery Approved

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:01 AM »
Weird, they usually have it. You might wanna check Joe's at the sprawling Lewis Co mall.

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2014, 04:07:25 PM »
There was an empty spot on the shelf for it.
What is joes and where is this sprawling mall? I'm actually from Oly.
Tomfoolery Approved

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10