collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Would you not purchase a 2014 Elk tag in an attempt to force WDFW to lobby for higher taxation rates for timber co's that charge access fees?

Yes
85 (32.7%)
No
175 (67.3%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Voting closed: January 19, 2014, 06:52:41 AM

Author Topic: Organized Boycott of Elk tag purchase due to private timber access permits  (Read 32916 times)

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Organized Boycott of Elk tag purchase due to private timber access permits
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
This kind of thought goes right along with "We should boycott the airlines that fly Boeing planes, because of the tax breaks Boeing gets".

The timber companies have been warning us YEARS they would have to do something ( charge, or even close land) if the misuse didn't stop.

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 11:57:44 AM »
Be careful what you wish for.
If their tax rate is raised because they charge for access, they will not quit charging. They will completely eliminate public access!

So that would be different from now how? They're going completely to pay-to-play. We've lost public access to their lands. Either we convince them to change their policies or we convince the legislators to change their tax structure.

Exactly.
One step at a time.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

"I have two lines you should never cross...Horizontal and Vertical"

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »
So we don't like what a group is doing with their private property, so let's tax the heck out of them...sounds like anti-hunting plans I've heard of....can't get rid of the guns so let's tax the heck out of ammo...

Seems like a low odds of success dealing with the problem.  :bdid: and I'm not saying the lack of access isn't a problem but trying to raise tax rates on a for profit business seems like danged near the business world equivalent of holding a gun to their head.

And what in the world does WDFW have to do with tax law?
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 12:23:07 PM »
So we don't like what a group is doing with their private property, so let's tax the heck out of them...sounds like anti-hunting plans I've heard of....can't get rid of the guns so let's tax the heck out of ammo...

Seems like a low odds of success dealing with the problem.  :bdid: and I'm not saying the lack of access isn't a problem but trying to raise tax rates on a for profit business seems like danged near the business world equivalent of holding a gun to their head.

And what in the world does WDFW have to do with tax law?

I have no problem with a landowner doing exactly what they want with their own land as long as it doesn't negatively affect others surrounding them. However, the current tax laws for timber lands were set up decades ago while the timber companies were allowing recreational use of their land. The rate at which these lands are taxed was lowered for those lands not currently being logged under the assumption that they would continue to allow the public to recreate on their property. The timber companies' attitudes about public recreation have changed and so should the tax rate which was developed under different circumstances. They're no longer allowing public recreational use so the public should no longer allow a lower tax liability. This doesn't force them to do anything with their private land, but it does require a more equitable taxation, more in line with what other private land owners pay.

"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline _TONY_

• TWO BAD HOMBRES
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Sagebrush junkie
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »
It's their land and they can cut access if they want, and I have no problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is tax discounts for allowing FREE public access, when no FREE access is given.

We pay for that access in forgone tax dollars. To charge $ for access on top of the tax  discounts is double dipping and is incredibly wrong IMO.

Tony

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Wdfw will not help sportsman in any situation from my experience. If it were possible, cutting their income would be the only possible way for them to listen... Even then it might not work :(

Offline ellensburgpo

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »
That make sense piano man, thanks. I still don't see how doing this to a for profit business will help hunter access though. If you cost a business millions of dollars or whatever it is there will likely be no relationship left. Do that and the chance of public hunting goes to zero more likely then not, so how does this plan get hunters on their land for free? This just seems like a "plan" with no real hope of having the desired effect...

Honestly I can imagine why they don't want hunting on their land, the same reasons we don't allow the public on ours. Way to many issues.

KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.

Offline ellensburgpo

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
And  tony I agree with you. Something's gotta change.
KCCO

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
This issue affects every sportsman in Western Wa and beyond.
I have posted notices for opinions and solutions on this site for months.
The response has been dismal at best.
We are working on this diligently and this is what will happen:
We will be seen as a small group of disgruntled people and not be taken seriously.
Or, we will confront weyco as a strong united front intent on preserving open access.
The best scenario is for weyco to realize that we have options that they will find undesirable and change their policies.
If not, we need all of your help to show that many people stand ready to get involved.
You can either stand back and accept what happens, or do something about it.
The choice is yours.
Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of WFW.

Offline fireweed

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 01:12:30 PM »
If their tax rate is raised because they charge for access, they will not quit charging. They will completely eliminate public access!

They cannot eliminate all public access because all major timber companies are signed on and certified with SFI (Sustainable Forestry Initiative) standards which require public recreation component.
The worse they can do is charge and limit....which is what they are ALREADY DOING.  It simply cannot get worse, and they can't hurt us anymore than they already are. 

Offline fireweed

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
This kind of thought goes right along with "We should boycott the airlines that fly Boeing planes, because of the tax breaks Boeing gets".

The timber companies have been warning us YEARS they would have to do something ( charge, or even close land) if the misuse didn't stop.

Hunterman(Tony)

If Boeing gets a tax break for building planes parts A-B-C-and D here, then stops building A & B here,  then YES their tax break should go down.  Its only logical for the average taxpayer to get full value for their tax break.

State law justifies the property tax break timberland gets(we pay more so timber can pay less) because of the public benefits timberland provides.  One of those is providing recreational spaces, and another is wild game.  Now they have stopped providing that recreation for free, and are charging for access to our game.  So, logically, their tax break should be reduced.  Simple common sense.

There is absolutely no argument about abuse/dumping/garbage/ road maintenance that can be used to justify charging for non-motorized access.  I must costs them MORE to enforce a no entry policy than a walk-in only policy.

Maybe.....maybe I could understand a permit for motorized access, but when they require one for non-motorized access then scream garbage dumping, they should lose all credibility with thinking people--including everyone reading this.  And this is EXACTLY what they are doing.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »

So that would be different from now how? They're going completely to pay-to-play. We've lost public access to their lands. Either we convince them to change their policies or we convince the legislators to change their tax structure.

Vail tree farm is open for walk in right now.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:35 PM »

Vail tree farm is open for walk in right now.

Right now is correct. Not during hunting season.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
Simple solution...

Hunt somewhere else!! No one is going to boycott the buying of tags.   These antler hungry people will dang near cut your throat for ten points let alone a better chance at a tag...

Rtspring
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline scout/sniper

• Region 5 President
  • Sourdough
  • 'Hunter of Gunmen'
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Simple solution...

Hunt somewhere else!! No one is going to boycott the buying of tags.   These antler hungry people will dang near cut your throat for ten points let alone a better chance at a tag...

Rtspring

Western WA is mostly weyco, to the tune of over 6 million acres.
And yes, people will still buy tags and access permits to post their next hero pic.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal