collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 Days, Will he be there or not?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
9 Days, Will he be there or not?
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:54:17 PM »
Yesterday I found the one I want.  The archery season doesn't open up until the 20th though.  He was with a doe and was playing a game of run around the bush until she stops because she is tired.  He wasn't breeding her yet though, she wasn't having any of it.  She would stand, he would come up and she would bolt again. I am guessing that she is close but he has a little work to do, Maybe a day or two?  This time of year I have yet to see the same big buck twice in two days.  I will find big boy one day and then I can't find him again.  I assume he will stay somewhat close (in the area) if he finds other does but 8 days is a long time this time of year.  No big deal, there are plenty of nicer bucks but this guy has it all, width, length, mass and the whitest muzzle that I have never seen before. 

What do you think the chances are that he will be there in 8 days?

Offline WAPITIHUNTER

• Sourdough
  • Wapiti are food and so are elk!
Re: 9 Days, Will he be there or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 01:03:51 PM »
Pretty good. Maybe another doe will come into heat and he will continue to hang around. I have also read that if a doe does not get bred that they will come back into heat again. Athough if he breeds her then he will most likley start cruising for another honey.

I hear you though. I have the one i want in my drive way for the past week and a half. Nice 4x4. I keep seeing the does almost every night when i come home. I am having a hard time having to wait till the 20th.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:09 PM »
One other thing that I thought was a little weird was that he was doing all of the work.  I have watched a few other times where mr. big will let a younger buck do the work and then mr. big gets out of his bed and steps in at just the right moment.  The only things that I can think of is maybe she was farther along than I think or there is more of an even buck to doe ratio or she is the first doe to come into heat and he is not whoren( :chuckle:) out yet? 

Offline 1bowhunter1

• WORK?
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:16:01 PM »
I belive that archary starts on the 19th.  I live in battle ground washington and the little buck I have been seeing in my yard is not in any kind of rut mode.   I hear other areas the deer are rutting  Do deer rut other times in other areas?  How does that work?  
The wife said if I go hunting 1 more time, she's going 2 leave me!!  Gosh I'm gonna miss her.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »
In my experience the younger bucks don't show signs as early as the bigger, older bucks.  If you are watching a year and a half old deer he may not even have a clue what is going on and if he is with a doe, it is probably his mom.  He will get it figured out when Mr. Big comes up and claims mom though.   :chuckle:  I spotted three year and halfs yesterday and none of them had a thick neck.  I watched one pee and he still peed like a doe.  The two bigger bucks that I saw both peed on themself and had the thick neck.  I saw one forkhorn buck and his tongue was hanging out and his neck was thick, he didn't have any does though, he was just cruising from one place to another enjoying the moment I guess. 

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
1bow, it depends on where you are hunting. 300 is from the east side where it opens on the 20th. West side blacktail opens on the 19th. Just don't want you into trouble if you are hunting mulies.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:54:25 PM »
1bow, it depends on where you are hunting. 300 is from the east side where it opens on the 20th. West side blacktail opens on the 19th. Just don't want you into trouble if you are hunting mulies.

Have you seen any rut action yet Elkstuffer?

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:05 PM »
I live in washougal and I watched a tiny button buck going nuts the other day chasing 3 does..his tongue was hanging out.. can a button buck breed??? it was pretty funny he had total tunnel vision he walked 10ft in front of my truck and didn't even look up..
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
Been seeing a lot of rutting blacktails this week...mostly forkies harrassing does.  Saw one good buck last night and he was constantly scent checking the doe he was with.  It's like he had a mouth full of peanut butter.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
300rum, I have a late archery tag for the Entiat so I haven't been out that much. I don't want to screw up someone elses hunt during the rifle hunt. As a taxidermist I've taken in a couple rut stinky  bucks with swollen neck this week including a 180+ buck with a huge neck from the Entiat. Sounds like the rut is on although this warmer weather might slow things down a bit. Looks like another storm is coming our way. I'm looking out over Oak Creek and it's pretty dark that way.
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
I just looked at the DOT cam at the Y and it looks like it is raining pretty good.   :IBCOOL:

http://wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/sccam.aspx?cam=8100

Offline big_bucks

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
Yesterday I found the one I want.  The archery season doesn't open up until the 20th though.  He was with a doe and was playing a game of run around the bush until she stops because she is tired.  He wasn't breeding her yet though, she wasn't having any of it.  She would stand, he would come up and she would bolt again. I am guessing that she is close but he has a little work to do, Maybe a day or two?  This time of year I have yet to see the same big buck twice in two days.  I will find big boy one day and then I can't find him again.  I assume he will stay somewhat close (in the area) if he finds other does but 8 days is a long time this time of year.  No big deal, there are plenty of nicer bucks but this guy has it all, width, length, mass and the whitest muzzle that I have never seen before. 

What do you think the chances are that he will be there in 8 days?
When you see that the does are hot like that and you're not seeing those bucks 2 days in a row it could be that the big boys are holing up for a day or two with a hot doe then coming back out to find another.  That happens frequently when they're breeding.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »

When you see that the does are hot like that and you're not seeing those bucks 2 days in a row it could be that the big boys are holing up for a day or two with a hot doe then coming back out to find another.  That happens frequently when they're breeding.
[/quote]

I am just hoping he won't go to far.  As long as he stays in the same drainage I am o.k.  I am going to initially set up a tree stand on one of the freeways that I know is there.  I am also going to be in my spotting perch where I have a birdseye view.  If his is within 1 mile and moves a little I should be able to find him, maybe.  It will be interesting especially with the leaves coming off today and tomorrow.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal