collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GSP Breeders  (Read 3214 times)

Offline shootnrun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
GSP Breeders
« on: March 26, 2014, 08:32:33 PM »
After enduring my 18 months of paramedic school I'm finally finding myself settling down with far more time on my hands. I am starting to toy with the idea of getting a pup. Depending how the next couple months go with the job hunt and interviews I may be looking to acquire a pup as soon as the end of the summer. I am looking for reputable breeders with a good line of dogs with both hunting ability and family friendly demeanor.

Google searches can only get one so far, so word from those of you who spend time in the field would be greatly appreciated!

Rian

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: GSP Breeders
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
Are you committed to a pup? How about a nice 5yr female all trained and hunt ready?

Saw one like this in the want adds...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Shootnrun, when you are sure what you want and are ready to really look, get a hold of Happy Gilmore on here (if he does not weigh in on this thread) he knows at least a few people who have, or know GSP breeders that can likely get you exactly what you are looking for. Great house dogs but animals in the field.

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
Where did you go to PM school and where you wanting to work?

Tomfoolery Approved

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »
Try Dunfur Kennels in Cheney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
Check out the GSP club in the area. try attending a few field trials. good luck.

Offline shootnrun

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll look into the suggestions!

Ice, I am picky and maybe a tad meticulous about my dog training. However, in the right circumstance it may be agreeable. I'll have to think about it tho. And I am not currently ready.

If any Asotin County wingshooters happen to see this in shoot me a PM if you would.

Rian

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Call Chelsea Dill at North Creek Kennels in Duval, Washington. The wife and I got two bitches from her 13 months ago. They are both superb family dogs and are developing as hunters very well. Between them we've collected about 100 pheasant, both release and wild this year. Wife's dog got her Jr. Hunter in August at nine months. My dog may never get her Jr hunt do to timing. But she has the skills and earned a few cameo roles on a show filmed for the out door life network. I've also tuned down a couple of offers for her while hunting around Moses lake.  I'm no master trainer, I'm actually not very good at it. The dogs keep me out of trouble, a reflection of their instincts. My dog had very little work, basic commands and would recall without error when we left for Alaska last June. I guide up there. She learned to point sockeye, caught a few, learned about porcupines and grizzly and became the lodge pet. On August 10 I loaded her in the float plane, flew to a good.ptarmigan spot and turned her loose. She pointed 8 coveys and retrieved most of the birds I shot. All I did was concentrate on not screwing her up. Of course she needed work, still does, but both dogs are making it easy. Currently we're working on steadiness to wing and shot, making progress.
I'm not really bragging, I had little to do with their success. Chelsea bread good dogs.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
I picked up a female GSP from Montana Bird Dogs in Kalispel, MT last May.  She is only a year old now, but she is a great dog.  Very birdy, great drive, and has been easy to train.  I would definitely go back to them to get another GSP.  There isn't much info available online, but you can call Ron, the owner, and he'll give you all the info you need.     

Idaho Hunting Dogs in Shelley ID also raises some good GSP's.  My 9yo male's mother was from there and my buddy has a male from a Fritz/Madison litter from them.  Big dogs, very athletic, and great hunters.

Offline Mr56Jeep

• Jack of all trades
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:37:54 AM »
Check out the GSP club in the area. try attending a few field trials. good luck.

This is what I did 9 years ago.  I may have gotten lucky but I have a GREAT dog that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Love the GSPs.  And they WILL hunt!   :tup:

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:25:09 AM »
I've never seen one of their dogs in action but based on reputation I would check out Dunfur Kennels out near Cheney.

That said, there can be a lot of variation in the breed. Will the dog be expected to double as a light duty duck dog? Will it need to track? Some of the field trial breedings run and hunt more like a Pointer and less like a versatile hunting dog.   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]