collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: extend season?  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
Re: extend season?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
We had a heck of a last hunt on the snake yesterday. We put up 20 birds unfortunately all but 3 were hens. With that ratio, I'm not sure if we should extend the season  :dunno:
The flip side is i'm happy to hear you put up 17 hens in one day. It will only take two roosters to service them for next year.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
My thoughts exactly, should be good next year  :tup:

Online 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 03:48:17 PM »
Hope you have submitted your thoughts to WDFW, no matter how u feel. As for us and why we don't hunt early, its just too hot for the dog, too much "other" stuff going on and damn snakes are out through Oct. For us, it would be nice to have more cooler weekends to hunt. If that means we wouldn't be able to hunt until Novemeber in order to hunt all of January, I'm all in.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
That's the exact reason guys get into trials. Trials are a great way to extend the season, and damn near run year round. You just have to get used to shooting a blank pistol instead of a shotgun.  Eventually, it becomes more about the dog work than meat in the freezer

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
That's the exact reason guys get into trials. Trials are a great way to extend the season, and damn near run year round. You just have to get used to shooting a blank pistol instead of a shotgun.  Eventually, it becomes more about the dog work than meat in the freezer

NSTRA shoots birds.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »
True, but NSTRA isn't what one thinks when they think of field trials. NSTRA and BDC are never run on wild birds either.  A lot of trials, at least out here, are run on wild birds, or a combination of wild birds and released birds.  Down here, you can hunt birds one weekend, and a couple weeks later, run trials on those same birds.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
True, but NSTRA isn't what one thinks when they think of field trials. NSTRA and BDC are never run on wild birds either.  A lot of trials, at least out here, are run on wild birds, or a combination of wild birds and released birds.  Down here, you can hunt birds one weekend, and a couple weeks later, run trials on those same birds.

Tell that to someone who runs a dog in NSTRA events. 

If you want to see an argument, put a bunch of NSTRA trialers and Coverdog trialers in the same room together.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
I've been to several NSTRA trials.  I use to be the walker for someone limited to a golf cart/Rhino due to being handicapped (that's actually a good thing about NSTRA).  I know their opinions, but t still doesn't change anything.  The winningest NSTRA dog will never make the Brittany Field Trial HOF, even though the NSTRA people have pushed for it.  The trial people just dont consider NSTRA trials real trials.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:22 AM »

If you want to see an argument, put a bunch of NSTRA trialers and Coverdog trialers in the same room together.

Or on the same forum & thread together........ :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »

Or on the same forum & thread together........ :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

So so true.

Offline REHJWA

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
Hunting in Oct is to allow hunters to thin birds before the hard weather set in an culls the flock.

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 11:36:27 PM »
The last couple of years, January gets here and it seems we have just hit our stride in the field...then the season ends. We spend most of our time afield in December and January, choosing for several reasons to avoid most of October and November. What are the pros/cons for extending the season through the end of January, maybe even mid-February? The survey is out from WDFW and is open for a couple more days, so I thought it is a good  time to discuss

As conservationists, we should ask what the reason would be to extend the season.  Overpopulation of birds that need trimmed?  Pretty sure that's not the case for upland..

Do have to agree with bone here....we have to sit back and realize that the setting of seasons should reflect the overall health and population of game over increasing our harvests.

Offline Bmcox86

• Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »
I like the seasons the way they are. I plan on doing a Cooke canyon hunt in February or March to give my dog one last one before summer training begins.

You can always go out and do some training on wild birds with a blank pistol.
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Online 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »
I just checked Oregon and Idaho seasons and they both conclude at the end of January...c'mon Washington ;)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
I just checked Oregon and Idaho seasons and they both conclude at the end of January...c'mon Washington ;)

Get an Oregon hunting license. They've got some great chukar hunting down there, and plenty of public land.

I plan on doing that one of these years.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]