collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: grandaddys gun  (Read 8970 times)

Offline bowhunter851

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
grandaddys gun
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »
just thinking alot about grandpa the last few days tonight really got me thinking he passed a few years ago he was one dedicated marine after he passed my dad handed me a Winchester 1200 that grandpa owned here it is

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:11:01 PM by bowhunter851 »
Jon Henderson

Offline bowhunter851

• Hunter
Re: grandaddys gun
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
anybody else wanna share storys?
Jon Henderson

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:07:27 AM »
My grandpa passed 8 yrs ago, he gave me his old 30-06 when I was barely a teenager. My dad always told me stories of him shooting prairie dogs back in Kansas, at times he would wait for two or three to be lined up to take them all out with one shot.  Had a little I think one power scope on it. Killed my first elk with that gun the year he passed. He was a great man, the kind I always have and still to this day look up to.  I miss the smell of his hand rolled cigarettes in the garage, and him showing me how to wood work.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
The first thing my grandpa did when he got home from WWII was buy a hunting rifle.  It was a win 94 in .32 winchester special, it was the only rifle he ever owned.  He killed countless deer, and elk with it and even took it to Canada and killed a moose.  It never wore any optics, just iron sights and a rear peep.  As I got older and started hunting on my own I found myself in spots that he had taken game with me by his side when I was young.  With the aid of a modern rangefinder I have checked yardages on kill shots I had witnessed.  His farthest that I confirmed was a 447 yd one shot kill on a bull!

When he passed, I was given the honor of being its caretaker.  I quickly realized I was NOT as good of a shot as him!  I decided that grandpas gun can't just sit in a safe so I promised to kill with it from time to time.  I worked up a good load for it using the hornady flex tips and took a buck and a second doe with it.  stupid me, I never got a pic of the rifle with the buck as I'm not a big fan of having weapons in my trophy pics but I remembered with the doe shortly after.  Cool thread by the way!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:48 PM »
I got a couple gun from both my grandfathers.  My dads dad died when i was really young so never got to hunt with him but i got his old Remington 740 Woodmaster .308.  At the age of 12 i shot my very first whitetail 10 pointer with it.  Same grandfather I got his 12ga pump JC Higgins.  Plenty of grouse and ducks with that gun.  A few turkeys also.   Now my moms dad I got this late 1800's break barrel 45lc rifle.  Some shaved the rifling out and made it a .410.  Plenty of squirrels, rabbits and grouse with that one.  This grandpa passed away when i was in the navy.  Hunted alot with him.   I miss him alot.  most of these guns i got and brought home after my dad passed 10 years ago.  That man i miss every single day.  He taught my neither and i all about hunting.  They all sit in my safe i take them out every year to shoot our clean them. 

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
I got a few from my grandpa when he started seeing his health decline. The one I cherish the most is a colt pre-war woodsman .22lr (pistol)

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
Keep the memories alive.pass those guns down to your kids.nothin better then putting animals down with grandpas gun. :tup:

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 08:53:34 PM »
Keep the memories alive.pass those guns down to your kids.nothin better then putting animals down with grandpas gun. :tup:

I second that thought, Jason.

I recently purchased an old Marlin lever action--I had been looking for such a gun for a very long time.  (My grandfather owned one, and it is now in my uncle's collection.  My mother told me it was the only gun that she liked to shoot.  I made up my mind to own one.)

The sad thing is this: I purchased it from a young man, who had received it from his grandfather's estate.  He sold the gun to me.  It was a fair price, and I have no complaints.  However, I did think it odd (and somewhat sad) that a man would sell his grandfather's gun.

Just my opinion: Don't sell your family's heritage.  You will regret the decision some day.

By the way, I happily received my grandfather's Springfield 1903 last year.  It will not be sold.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline love2archeryhunt

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
This is a great thread. 
I have a lever action .284 Winchester my daddy used for deer and elk. It's the only rifle I ever seen him use. Daddy gave it to me when he turned 80, 4 years before he passed, and someday I will pass it on to my son.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRevC49B51Q‎   Check out Rhett Akins song...

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
I have a mauser 98 that my dad gave me and its about ready to go to my son .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »
All my grand parents guns went to my uncle (because we had several)

My dad bought 2 1903 Springfields ($5 each) and 1 1917 Enfield ($7.50) after WW2.

The Enfield he sporterized, new stock (he finished and checkered), and 4X scope.

One of the 1903 he gave to another BIL.

One was just sawed off forestock and stayed that was til the early 70's, when it was scoped for my brother.

I got it when brother stopped hunting (wife).

Few years back, I restored it (parkerized, old unmolested stock, removed scope).  Really like it (12-18 on barrel)

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 09:18:21 AM »
This is a great thread. 
I have a lever action .284 Winchester my daddy used for deer and elk. It's the only rifle I ever seen him use. Daddy gave it to me when he turned 80, 4 years before he passed, and someday I will pass it on to my son.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRevC49B51Q‎   Check out Rhett Akins song...
Blake Shelton just redid this song on his new album.  First thing I thought of when I read this thread was that song.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline barracuda163

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
I ended up with several rifles and shotguns from my grandpa. Late teens Winchester no. 94 .30 wcf, late teens winchester model 12 12 gauge, Remington pump .22 and an arisaka model 38 from his time in the pacific theater.  Although I never even saw my grandpa ever fire a rifle, we did spend time fishing on the ocean together and one time when I was 11 heading to Westport to catch the salmon charter, he bought me a derby ticket for the day and I ended up with a 38 lb king that won the big fish of the day and got me a $300 check! I still remember how that thing fought just like it was yesterday. 

Offline bowhunter851

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »

This is a great thread. 

yeah this song is what made me start this thread
[/quote]Blake Shelton just redid this song on his new album.  First thing I thought of when I read this thread was that song.
[/quote]
Jon Henderson

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal