collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lighted Nocks  (Read 38524 times)

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
Re: Lighted Nocks
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 12:51:09 PM »
 :beatdeadhorse:   

Makes it easier to find you "green" arrow in the dark.

:stirthepot:

Then you wait for morning, just like the "pro's" 
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »
Why does this topic often get so personal? Ethics, really? If you like 'em, use 'em. If you don't, don't. It's not surprising that hunters have such a hard time getting together on really important issues looking at these last few comments.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Absolute no brainer to use them.  Why wouldn't you?  The only thing they do is allow you to know exactly where your arrow hit.  This can make all the difference in recovering a hit animal.  Knowing for certain whether it was gut shot versus lungs etc...  Borderline unethical to refuse to use them when they are an option  :twocents:

Give me a break. 

Reasons to not use them:

1) expensive (breaking, losing arrows can still happen, they are not a flare)
2) loss of FOC
3) don't want to

Borderline unethical?  So it's ethical to gut shoot a deer as long as you know you did?
How does a lighted nock make you gut shoot an animal?
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
 :chuckle:
'cuz they are evil !!
Not only that, but I ALWAYS know where my arrow hits, not always in the right place, but I can see my arrow in flight, and I have decent follow through...
Once you release the arrow, the arrow is in flight already, nothing changes, other than one has a bright light attached, and one does not.
 :beatdeadhorse:
AGAIN, I really have nothing against someone using whatever weapon/projectiles they desire.
What I object to is somebody taking up a sport that is based upon presenting a challenge to oneself to become a better woodsman.
Then complaining about the rules being too restrictive.
You do not see a big push to legalize steroids.
Or, maybe the NFL will allow QB to decide how much air pressure they want.
Or, lower the basketball hoop, so short people can play...
Some hunters complain about the quality and quantity of game in this state, and complain about lost access, while others argue over what equipment should be allowed.
It is getting pretty ridiculous.
When you try to tell me that a light on the end of your arrow that turns on AFTER you loose the arrow is necessary for you to be a successful bowhunter, because you do not know where your arrow is going to impact, well, good for you!
You do know there are special permits for handicapped hunters?
Now that they are legal, what is the next step?
Fred Bear wanted to introduce "poison pods" for broadheads, to eliminate wounding loss...
 :dunno:
You go right ahead and use whatever you want, I have a feeling it is not going to have much of an effect on harvest numbers.
Of affect me in any way...
- John Muir
- John Burroughs

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
Why does this topic often get so personal? Ethics, really? If you like 'em, use 'em. If you don't, don't. It's not surprising that hunters have such a hard time getting together on really important issues looking at these last few comments.

I agree that was probably too strong a term. 

I still maintain however that lighted nocks are one of your best told in helping to recover game.  We took a bull that didn't bleed at all, and still had the arrow in them.  Knowing for sure we had hit the bull was key to a long, strenuous search to find him.  Pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons.

Offline gilroym

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 05:37:35 AM »

Agree we have a clear problem with something as simple as lighted nocks and everyone questions why we cant come together to fight for better seasons. Seems

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
Absolute no brainer to use them.  Why wouldn't you?  The only thing they do is allow you to know exactly where your arrow hit.  This can make all the difference in recovering a hit animal.  Knowing for certain whether it was gut shot versus lungs etc...  Borderline unethical to refuse to use them when they are an option  :twocents:

Give me a break. 

Reasons to not use them:

1) expensive (breaking, losing arrows can still happen, they are not a flare)
2) loss of FOC
3) don't want to

Borderline unethical?  So it's ethical to gut shoot a deer as long as you know you did?

I was referring to the emboldened part of the quote.  I wasn't linking lighted nocks to gut shots.  Although I can see where some people would gain false confidence since they would "know exactly where the arrow hit".
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2015, 11:12:50 AM »
I hear a lighted nock gives Satan control over arrow flight.  Can anyone confirm? :dunno:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »
I hear a lighted nock gives Satan control over arrow flight.  Can anyone confirm? :dunno:

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
confirmed.  It all goes to hell.  Kidding kidding.  But yea if you don't know 100% that that arrow is hitting its mark you have no business releasing on any animal.  But when the nock w light will help is after the shot.  After the shot adrenalin will be coursing hard and a lot of the time you can quickly forget were the initial shot took place.  especially if you had to move after the first shot, to either reposition for another or to keep eyes on the animal.  Then the angles can be tricky in the brush trying to find a 29 inch mostly black carbon rod in the woods.  I have hardly ever recovered arrows in the woods.  the terrain has to be just right like a big dirt burm.  lol.  If I could have recovered those arrows I may have found the animal I shot at by the sign on the arrow.  I am up in the air still on em for myself this year.  I need the FOC that I have.  My arrows fly great and I cant risk loosing that very accurate flight that the FOC gives them.  And I shoot black eagles so yea SUPER accurate anyways.  Idaho will be fun cause it still has Wa old rules for archery IE no lighted nocks or expendables.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
Interesting topic..
I bought 12 lighted nocks a few weeks ago, because I thought they were cool. I had no idea there is such a debate over them. I am new to archery as of last season, so I guess I am blind to the issues up for debate.

Can someone explain to me what the correlation between lighted nocks and season changes is?

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the correlation between lighted nocks and season changes is?

There is not one.
The controversy is about having electronic devices attached to bow and/or arrow.
Some feel that adapting the rules to allow new technology is a threat to being allowed a special season.
Other feel that illuminated nocks will encourage unscrupulous hunters into taking shots after or before legal/ethical shooting hours because there is minimal chance of losing the arrow.
I feel that we all should quit complaining about how restrictive the rules are, and just hunt.
(and slightly agree with others)
- John Muir
- John Burroughs

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »

There is not one.
The controversy is about having electronic devices attached to bow and/or arrow.
Some feel that adapting the rules to allow new technology is a threat to being allowed a special season.
Other feel that illuminated nocks will encourage unscrupulous hunters into taking shots after or before legal/ethical shooting hours because there is minimal chance of losing the arrow.
I feel that we all should quit complaining about how restrictive the rules are, and just hunt.
(and slightly agree with others)

Reminds me of the Golf equipment argument. The Golf equipment used today clearly gives a huge advantage compared to years ago. All the modern day Golf records are tainted with an ****************

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »
I never used lighted knocks when I bow hunted because they were not legal. Having said that I would use them now, but only to FIND my arrow after the shot. They would be nice if an animal ducked the string, or took a step or two forward on those longer shots, and in early/low light situations. I don't feel they are nessassary, but I do know that farmers don't want loose broadheads and arrows amongst their fields either. A lighted knock WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR ACCURACY, that is simply form, mechanics, and muscle memory. They do HELP YOU RECOVER THE ARROW. Bottom line is if you want to use them than do, you don't OK :tup: But if it gives YOU more confidence, and makes YOU a bettet archer, who can argue with you about them being needed or not? Be yourself, forget everyone else's views, because your own views will change with the more experience you gain. :twocents:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
Bottom line is if you want to use them than do, you don't OK :tup: But if it gives YOU more confidence, and makes YOU a bettet archer, who can argue with you about them being needed or not? Be yourself, forget everyone else's views, because your own views will change with the more experience you gain. :twocents:

I agree with that.
Now that they are legal, use whatever you want.
Just quit complaining about how restrictive the regulations are in a sport that is founded on the concept of self imposed limitations.
Archery was a hobby, and early bowhunters enjoyed using what was their favorite weapon, not because of it efficiency, but because they enjoyed a challenge.
Current regulations and seasons allow Archers a high success rate compared to other user groups, WDFW attempts to balance that.
If we keep allowing advancements to increase the effectiveness of the weapon, then something is going to be adjusted to make it more equitable for all user groups.
WDFW does not care about our happiness, they care about their money and jobs.
When the majority use modern weapons, what is the motivation to continue to allow Archers to have longer seasons, either sex privileges, and the ability to hunt the rut?
Whether we like it or not, Bowhunting has an image to maintain among the non-hunting (voting) public, and our fellow sportsmen.
Asking to use new technology is counterproductive to our own best interest.
- John Muir
- John Burroughs

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]