collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossbows  (Read 35196 times)

Offline Longbowz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Crossbows
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
Crossbows are really a separate weapon and best fit  in the general (modern) season.  If they want scopes or whatever in their season let them fight for it.  It's not really bowhunters problem.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
I'm not in favor.

Those who are disabled can shoot from their vehicles, have special permits they can apply for etc.

If it came right down to it and I was severely disabled, with the help of a friend I could find a way to get into a blind and sit and wait.  I've seen videos of all types of disabled hunters getting it done including a blind guy shooting a bear with a bow (being coached by the guy behind him where he was aiming, yes the pins were alters to allow for the backup to see)

I just don't know where to draw the line.  I'm older and in less shape than I was 10 years ago so the state should let me use motorized vehicles in places they aren't allowed to compensate.  IF they don't like that, maybe I should sue to make them take me up there piggy back  :chuckle:

I just think that if I can no longer pull a bow back, I better look at going to modern firearm.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »
Crossbows are really a separate weapon and best fit  in the general (modern) season.  If they want scopes or whatever in their season let them fight for it.  It's not really bowhunters problem.

Excellent point! 
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
A lot of this disabled criteria is such a joke. We ran into a couple during AR last year and the guy informed us his wife was below him on the trail with a crossbow due to disability. Oh? Whats her issue? Shes deaf. WTH!

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:17 AM »
I don't care so much about the crossbow. I think they should be able to use it during modern season.

Most game agents see it as a poaching tool.

As far as sights. The hunt populations eyes are getting weaker and I think Red dot should be allowed across the board. Crossbows, muzzy too.

We want to keep as many hunters as we can hunting as long as we can. It will be to everyone benefit. :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rover758

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »
 (Was on one day back in July of '10 and re-found this link while doing my research for using a crossbow in WA.)  This is my first post on this site .... what wuz I thinkin' to choose such a topic??!! 

First ... I am a disabled hunter and a disabled veteran after over 21 years in the military.  Archery hunting is my first passion but, as my condition has deteriorated, I am physically unable to pull a bow back.  I want to hunt and I want to hunt archery.  That means with a crossbow.  (There are plenty of hand cranks on the market that will allow me to cock the bow.  As a personal choice, it wouldn't be cocked until I was set in my ground blind and it would be un-cocked before it goes back in the truck.)  All that being said I can see the validity of those who think crossbow hunters should only use them during the modern firearm season.  I have been doing my research on them and there is quite a bit of (manufacturer) boasting out there on their capabilities.  I think those capabilities give weight to the opinion that crossbows should only be allowed for use during modern firearm.  However, regardless of validity, that shuts me out of my passion.  I agree with Sundance ... it's an ethical problem.  I'm not looking for a loophole ... I'm looking to be able to continue to archery hunt.  I would disagree with Jonathan_S in a matter of semantics.  He termed the Glock operator a "hunter".  I would not defile the those of us who call ourselves hunters with the truest sense of what that means by calling that individual a hunter.   (I enjoyed reading the quote at the bottom of Snapshot.  He has a clue as to what I mean ... although I obviously disagree I should have to move to modern firearm season.)   Without a doubt, there will always be those who take advantage of the system for their own good and put the bulls eye on my back when I don't deserve it.  My buddy shot a magnificent 6x7 bull two years ago and it shamed me that I carried 1 load out for every 3 of his.  The pack-out was only a half mile from the truck and on the last load I went to my knees 100 yards short of the truck.  I had given my all to every nuance of the hunt.  It's enough that I can't look in the mirror any more and call myself "Bowhunter".  Being a bowhunter was a sense of pride; it was a calling.  You know what I mean.  That feeling that makes you want to put a sticker up in your back window that says, "It's a Bow Hunting Thing ... You Wouldn't Understand."  I'd at least like to still consider myself an archery hunter.  Each person has to address their own personal ethics (or lack thereof) on using or abusing that Red Placard on the dashboard.  Yes ... I split log-rounds in camp.  I can do 2 or 3 and then I'm stoved up for 3 hours - that's the price I pay.  I can hunt 3 miles out and 3 miles back but it takes me all day.  I passed on a nice 4x4 when I could have shot him out the truck window.  Does that make me better than the guy who didn't pass on the doe?  Perhaps not.  It's all the personal choices we make that give hunters bad names or good names.  I just ask that you please please please don't put me out in the field with gun crowd.  And in all my rambling this may be a moot point.  The "state" returned my crossbow permit application saying the Doctor's statement that, post surgery, I am and will always be physically unable to safely draw or hold a bow was insufficient to warrant a permit.  I will continue to be part of archery elk camp.  Even if it means being the camp Bee Otch. Ya'll come in and sit a spell, hear?  Tell me your lies and I'll tell you mine.   :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:36:55 AM by rover758 »
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997
** Due to the rising cost of ammo warning shots will not be fired **
** All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy (S. Milligan) **

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
Welcome to the site Rover!

I hear what you are saying....I think if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a ground blind on private property with a crossbow.  I know some folks who would allow hunting on a limited basis with your background and story.   :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 08:57:51 AM »
Rover, good post, welcome to the site.  From previous posts it does seem like there needs to be a major overhaul of WDFW's system for awarding "disabled" permits.  It seems silly, to me anyways, that a person who is deaf would get one whereas a person who's doctor indicates an inability to physically draw a bow would not.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
Welcome Rover.  Thank you for your service to this country!

I think guys like you are exactly why we have the crossbow exception we do. I see absolutely no problem sharing an elk camp with you during archery season.  Just please, let me do the wood splitting :chuckle:

I actually believe crossbows should be legal for all Washington state hunters.  Though I do believe healthy, capable, non-disabled hunters should use them in a season other than archery season.  Would make sense to combine them in a primitive weapon season like muzzy season.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:38:53 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline rover758

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »
Thanks Gringo and lokidog.  Ya'll can weigh in and tell me if I'm being silly or not .... I know ... this is supposed to be a crossbow post ... maybe I'll start another one on if I should play my "Companion Hunter" card or not.  I'm leaning toward NOT and we'll leave it at that.  If it comes down to it and I can't hunt, I've already worked it out with my hunting buddy for making 2-person ground blinds.  He'll let the arrow fly and I'll capture it on tape.  I do agree the whole disabled thing needs a look-see.  I too have ran across disabled hunters - one with a crossbow and the way he was hefting it around and lifting things made me wonder how he got a permit.  To keep with the post .... yes, I do think crossbows should be allowed for archery season if they are genuinely (underscore genuinely) needed.  IF they are allowed during archery season then.... No ... I do not think they should have scopes.  I read the litigation on "voiding warranty" and "unfairly hindering access" that led to the scope thing.  Hogwash.  Yes .... it's costly (around $210) to retrofit a crossbow for pins but .... as a new contact I made today told me ... I AM a Bowhunter and since I am "man" ... warranties go into the camp fire along with owner's manuals.  LOL.  I'll do what it takes to continue to enjoy hunting and all that goes with it.  Come September you'll either find me in the West side of Nile again up by Bumping or back over at 49 Degrees North. That's where my buddy got his big bull and the one he got was the smaller of the two.  Ask me where so I can lie!!! :chuckle:
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997
** All I ask is for the chance to prove that money can't make me happy (S. Milligan) **

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Rover.....not sure where you are located by we are having (I'll bump the thread) a bbq at the end of July. Not to speak for everyone but I'd sure love to share a pint and hear some of your tales.

Offline SquirrelHunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »
Rover758
I dont know if you have already paid to have your crossbow retrofitted with a pin set-up, if not I can show you how I did mine for $60 bucks ($50 for the sight, $10 for the mount) and no warranties voided. The best part is I can upgrade my sights as new ones come out if deemed necessary Works great to
If your interested send me a PM
"Incoming bullets have the right away"

Offline rover758

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
Thanks SquirrlHunter.  I may take you up on that.  First things first ... I gotta get the permit.  I see my doctor this Friday and will give him what the WDFW ADA person sent me.  I do know he's not going to be too pleased at being questioned.  I don't even have a crossbow yet.  I have the web site on my work computer that sells the sights for $200ish.  It was the only one I found.  I'll send you the link tomorrow so you can check them out.  I think they only make them for four brands of crossbows and the one I was wanting wasn't on the list.  I may want to chat with you about your brand of choice and why. 

h20hunter wants to share a pint and hear my lies?  LOL ... let me tell you about the Red Deer in northern Spain .... no, a better one is the black bear in Brooks Range in Alaska when I was going to draw and heard a low growl behind me and I turned to see a big she-wolf glaring at me .... no ... that won't do ... it has to be that time down in Honduras.........
SMSgt, USAF, Ret
1976 - 1997

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
Normally I wouldn't comment but with my dad no longer able to draw a bow after multiple surgeries and him being an avid bow hunter since the early 70's and it being his true passion and hearing all you guys saying sure he can use his xbow in modern season is a Freakin joke! Why do most guys quit modern? Probably cause there is a million people and have retards looking at them through their scopes, bullets wizzing over their heads ect. If anyone catagorises a freakin crossbow even close to the same category as modern your just being selfish and arrogant.  Xbow so (maybe shoot 100yrds) modern fire arm (now days 1000yrds with todays equipment isnt out of the ? )besides that 98% o the guys who get a xbow  were avid archery guys like my old man. Put yourself in those guys shoes and really think about it. For any of you to say my old man can no longer hunt with his kids/grand kids because he cant draw a compound anymore is *censored*!  By the way he once shot right handed, had shoulder surgery and couldnt continue right handed so switched to left handed now a few surgeries later cant left left handed either so its not from the lack of effort.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:21:39 PM by Mxracer532 »
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline brianb231

• Longhunter
    • NorthWest Metal Art
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
I felt like throwing my two cents in the ring as well since I have experience with the topic. My father got our hunting group (younger generation) involved in bowhunting 25 years ago. He created a passion for Archery hunting that spread like wildfire through our group. In 2007 he had serious heart conditions and breathing issues but he still had the passion to archery hunt. He could still get out there and we could set him up a little ways off the road and he still had a chance at getting an Elk. But his Dr was not so quick like some to write the letter so he was only approved for adaptive equipment. This meant a very poorly designed thing called a draw lock. We installed that on his bow ( I think it was the only one in Washington State. LOL) and it kept his bow at full draw for him. I felt this was very unsafe and quirky at best. In 2008 he was finally approved for a Crossbow. BUT A SCOPE WAS NOT LEGAL. This was an incredibly stupid rule. We first had to find pin sights which was a chore and then to use them was very inaccurate as now any movement on the cheekwell of the stock created an inaccurate shot. Why would the state give someone a disable permit and then not allow them that complete system to make an ethical shot. Why does someone have to be near death with an opportunity to harvest there last animal and then the state says , BUt you cannot use a scope???? Every rifle hunter in the state uses a scope in perfect health. Anyways, he passed away in 2009 just after he could no longer hunt. I think not being able to be out there with us had a little to do with that.

NOW... His partner, who is my best friends Uncle is in his 70's and he finally after 16 years of applying gets drawn for a peaches ridge archery tag!!! So he is excited, but he is also a disabled hunter now as well. He cannot travel far or down in any steep and deep either or even really draw the bow, but his passion to be out there with the group he and my Dad raised in the woods is still there. We are going to do everything in our power to make this happen for him and the use of a crossbow gives him a chance to do just that.

I get it... there are a lot of people that abuse the disabled rules but there are also a group that are still alive with that hunting drive because of it.

So lets not be quick to throw stones at the crossbow and disabled rules because there are those that abuse it. That is all I ask.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Brianb231

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal