collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossbows  (Read 35183 times)

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: Crossbows
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »
What with the antis banning lead and more and more bow or other such things being the only viable form of hunting then ya I hope they pass it where scopes could be used and if magnafied so beit.
Before some jump me I see this as what will most certainly become the only way to hunt so ya let em hunt.
You still have to be within 100yds or so so ya.
before you say tinfoil hat all one has to do is look at all the lead bans trying to be implamented and animal rights bringing in wolves and not letting us hunt then coyotes on other states overpopulating their carrying capacity and not allowed to hunt or not allowed to depredidate as they should ya I see this comeing sooner rather than later.
And what with us being our own worst enemy ya!
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
I have read the regs numerous times.. during modern you absolutely can use a xbow. In any unit. As far as xbows during archery, I'm good with it for disabled people who really are disabled.  The toughest part of bow hunting to me is learning when and how to draw. . Then holding for minutes at a time waiting on the shot. The x bow takes that out of the picture.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
Crossbows can only be used in firearm restriction areas during modern firearm season.

See pages 78, 79, and 83.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:47 PM »
I have read the regs numerous times.. during modern you absolutely can use a xbow. In any unit. As far as xbows during archery, I'm good with it for disabled people who really are disabled.  The toughest part of bow hunting to me is learning when and how to draw. . Then holding for minutes at a time waiting on the shot. The x bow takes that out of the picture.
Only in firearm restricted areas during a modern season, or by hunters with specific disabilities.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/101/What+are+the+rules+for+firearm+restriction+areas%2C+and+can+crossbows+now+be+used%3F
"It is unlawful to hunt wildlife with a crossbow except by modern firearm tag holders in firearm restriction areas. However, disabled hunter permittees in possession of a crossbow special-use permit may hunt with a crossbow in any season that allows archery equipment."
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 05:47:09 PM »

:dunno: read again I guess
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline bowhunterwa87

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Stupid law anyways. All disabled hunters should be allowed to use one.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »
Stupid law anyways. All disabled hunters should be allowed to use one.

TO BOWHUNTER87:  Yeah but look at the way disability programs are abused :dunno: there would be thousands more who would be fraudulently taking advantage of the program.

TO EVERYONE:  I get a lot of flak for saying this but we can't always make the playing field level.  Hunting is a rigorous outdoor activity that requires a certain level of physical fitness/capability and if you don't have those capabilities I don't think the state owes you anything beyond what it currently offers.

I'm about to get called somebody who hates disabled people...3...2...1
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Hornet742

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »

The "state" returned my crossbow permit application saying the Doctor's statement that, post surgery, I am and will always be physically unable to safely draw or hold a bow was insufficient to warrant a permit.  I will continue to be part of archery elk camp.  Even if it means being the camp Bee Otch. Ya'll come in and sit a spell, hear?  Tell me your lies and I'll tell you mine.   :)

I also am a disabled Vet.  In my case Agent Orange has taken all but 10% of my sight in my left eye (right eye is blind), and other service related problems have given me Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, and Severe Knee problems.

I hunt. Since I can't drive any more I wanted to hunt with my middle son during archery season. So I wanted to use a bow. Instability and vision problems and other issues make it so I can pull a bow at 40# for a few seconds. Using the sights was another issue.  Applied for the crossbow permit.

Doc answered in about 5 lines, and the state refused the permit because he didn't list any specific tests that proved I couldn't use a vertical bow.

In talking to the Disability Coordinator it was stated that the reason they needed specific strength/Coordination tests was because they get audited.  I suspect after reading this thread that I now know who does the auditing.

I find myself wondering how using a crossbow changes the physics of arrow flight?  Is there some magic switch that makes it do more than a vertical bow?

When we, as hunters spend our time fighting among ourselves for imagined slights and the changing of "traditional" hunting systems it seems to me as if we might as well just let the anti-hunters have their way.  We sure aren't going to be able to come together when we need to.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 10:51:58 AM »

The "state" returned my crossbow permit application saying the Doctor's statement that, post surgery, I am and will always be physically unable to safely draw or hold a bow was insufficient to warrant a permit.  I will continue to be part of archery elk camp.  Even if it means being the camp Bee Otch. Ya'll come in and sit a spell, hear?  Tell me your lies and I'll tell you mine.   :)
sorry to hear about your problems. I would try to have a one on one talk with the person approving the permit. Thank you for your service

I also am a disabled Vet.  In my case Agent Orange has taken all but 10% of my sight in my left eye (right eye is blind), and other service related problems have given me Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, and Severe Knee problems.

I hunt. Since I can't drive any more I wanted to hunt with my middle son during archery season. So I wanted to use a bow. Instability and vision problems and other issues make it so I can pull a bow at 40# for a few seconds. Using the sights was another issue.  Applied for the crossbow permit.

Doc answered in about 5 lines, and the state refused the permit because he didn't list any specific tests that proved I couldn't use a vertical bow.

In talking to the Disability Coordinator it was stated that the reason they needed specific strength/Coordination tests was because they get audited.  I suspect after reading this thread that I now know who does the auditing.

I find myself wondering how using a crossbow changes the physics of arrow flight?  Is there some magic switch that makes it do more than a vertical bow?

When we, as hunters spend our time fighting among ourselves for imagined slights and the changing of "traditional" hunting systems it seems to me as if we might as well just let the anti-hunters have their way.  We sure aren't going to be able to come together when we need to.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »

It sounds like you are definitely a candidate for the use of a crossbow during archery season.  It also sounds like all you need to do is have your doctor perform some specidfic strength and/or vision tests?

"I find myself wondering how using a crossbow changes the physics of arrow flight?  Is there some magic switch that makes it do more than a vertical bow?"

No, it does not change the physics of arrow flight, however, there is indeed a "maqic switch" that makes it do more than a vertical bow, it is called a locking trigger holding the "bow" at full draw.  This is a distinct advantage over having to draw (lots of movement) and hold a bow back until ready to take the shot. 

I just got a crossbow for a Christmas present from my parents, the third shot I took I robinhooded a bolt at 15 yards from a kneeling position, in less than ten shots, I had the bow sighted in to thirty yards putting two (all I have left) bolts side by side in a two inch bullseye, also from a kneeling position.  There is not a single person that can honestly say a crossbow is the same as a longbow or even compound bow, IMO.

I will also repeat from an earlier post, I have no problems with someone with a disability being given a permit to use a crossbow during archery season.

Offline Hornet742

• Pilgrim
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 05:49:12 PM »
I have given up on the Special Use permit that would allow me to use a crossbow during Archery season.  The rules pamphlet (book) specifically states that a crossbow can be used by a modern tag holder during modern seasons.

In looking at the use of a crossbow during said season the only place that can be hunted with one is the Snoqualmie Golf Course which has an elk herd amongst the middle of six figure homes.  Only place that I can find that is.

I will be purchasing a Bowflex machine to work on upper body strength in an attempt to be able to pull and hold in tension a vertical bow for more than a few seconds.  I just might be able to use one after 6 months or so. Gonna try anyway.

Biggest thing for me is I want to do it myself.  I can give my son my harvest tag, but I figure that if I have someone else do it for me that soon I won't be able to do anything for myself.  So what do I do then, unable to walk at all and probably unable to feed myself.  At what point does my life become a burden on my family and friends?  If I have someone else hunt for me I might as well go buy my meat in the grocery store, and there are not many things left for me to enjoy as it is.  I want this one as long as I can move.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
As of 2014, they could only be used during modern season in firearm restricted areas.  It does sound like they may change that this year to allow their use anywhere during modern season, I hope so.

Good luck with getting yourself in shape.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2015, 07:05:34 PM »
Good it's about time they looked at changing the law.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 11:27:56 PM »
I have to chime in on this as I hunt with a crossbow.  Giving our wounded warriors access to use a crossbow is a great idea, but where do you draw the line on what wounded is, is it missing an arm/hand?  If it isn't taken to the extreme of missing an extremity how do you prove the "wounded"?  I know many of service members that play the disability system in both the Army side and the VA side.  Now as far as your everyday person using a crossbow, why not?  I had a C-spine surgery and fusion that didn't work out, that along with a shoulder injury allows me to pull a 40lb draw bow back but not hold it for more than 3-5 seconds before my shoulder gives out sending the arrow who knows where, and sending the bow back towards my face (yes it happened during a hunt).  So why shouldn't I be allowed to use a crossbow to continue my hunting experience?

I feel like people see the "disabled hunter" using the crossbow and are upset because they feel we have a "greater advantage" over the traditional archery user by adding distance or accuracy.  Hunt the method you enjoy, or the method that you can physically handle, enjoy your hunt and let others enjoy theirs whether you agree with the method or not.   

the advantage is not having to worry about when to draw or holding at full draw for minutes waiting on your shot.  I am fine with it during any season aside from archery season. It gives people a distinct advantage.

Offline Hornet742

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »
Wow, after setting the #'s on the bow my wife got me lower and lower I finally found I can draw and hold for 30 secs at a setting of 25#.  That was about the time I realized in order to see the peep and line it up I had to nose over until I had no semblance of form of any kind left.  Weird, if I put on my reading glasses I can see the peep and line it up fine.  But where in that big blur past the bow is my target?

I know!  I'll just take sound shots! (joking).  I will figure it out, not going to give up with just a few bumps in the road.

Gonna have to wrap the limbs in rubber so when I accidentally bang them into something that I can't see it won't make a loud Clang.  Figured the short ATA length would help with the sight problems below my mid chest but man, these little things really suck trying to shoot well with. 

This is a joke post, well kind of anyway.  I am beginning to think I would do better just lobbing the arrows at them with my fist :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]