collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: oak creek is looking grim  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
oak creek is looking grim
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
Just thought I would post an update and tell you westsiders to stay home. Its not going to be worth it to come over for the circus on may 1st. I have only seen a couple sheds inside the closed area that are no where near the feed lot itself. Not going to be worth it for you guys. Stay at work and make money instead of blowing money on fuel. Just my local :twocents: worth of knowledge.

Its so dry over here right now it aint even funny.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: oak creek is looking grim
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
 :chuckle: Spoken like the guy that has a 420" pair spotted and waiting for the starting gun to go off.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:49:25 PM »
I am being dead serious. All I have seen are a couple antlers. There hasnt been very many found this year by locals in the open areas the elk are usually in. Elk are high up already.  There is only a few snow spots up on the canyons down low but other than that, open area at 3000 feet and higher.
Just flippin ya chit, should make for some actual shed "hunting" now. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
Joe Watt has only had a few elk around this year too. A bunch were down for about 2 or 3 weeks but most have wandered back up. Green grass is showing on the hillsides.
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
You mean the locals that sneak through the fence early wont have them all piled up this year?

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
 :bash:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:54 AM »
It's sad but true,  a buddy and I have been to our normal spots and not an elk to be seen. Just a small herd spotted in the closed area. You can see a few across the river around cougar canyon off of 410 but that's about the extent of it. I have may 1st off but not sure ill even bother :twocents:

Offline bowhunterwa87

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
I wont be going this year either.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
This really does suck. We don't go to look for antlers we go to watch the circus of everybody leaving the feedlot! Its a real rodeo if you haven't been there. People getting bucked off of horses, people running all over, traffic jam heading up the hill,ORV'S hammering down to beat everyone to the top, Jeeps passing people driving to slow, pure Redneck entertainment right there!!!! :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline et1702

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
You mean the locals that sneak through the fence early wont have them all piled up this year?

:yeah:

Offline crazyantler

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »
I understand that some people mislead others by there posts but I can truly testify to the person who started this post that things will be different this year.  I have hike miles and surveyed lots of ground and a vast majority of the bulls/elk are really spread out.  I was hoping it would be as such this year so that those who are willing to put in the time will reep a fair harvest.  Of course there are those that still dropped within the closed zones but things are so spread out this year that anyone can find horns if you get in the woods.  Good luck to all.

Offline jake

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »
Just an update. I put close to 12 miles on my boots on Thursday about 6 or so miles west of the feeding station in the shrub steppe/ tree line area and could tell that the elk were higher than I was. I was in the 3500 foot range and it was so dry in most places that I could kick the dirt and you could see the dust. Found a dead head, one elk shed, and a chewed up 2 point deer shed, that was it. Usually this area yields better results, but with it so dry this year I may have to look a lot higher. perhaps in a different GMU higher up. And I know for a fact I was the first one up there this year. There were no other boot prints visible besides mine do to the acsess point still having snow on the ground.

Have you ever been to oak creek during this time of year? there are 10+ good quality cameras at every entry point/gate within the closed boundary and  3 or so along the closed portion(to thr right of the oak creek rd itself). As well as the 2 cameras at the gate in the trees.

The only place the locals go in from is the southern portion of that gmu as well as a neighboring one where it is perfectly legal to use their gates in the game fence that are on their property. That too has been a hard hunt this year:twocents:

your next post will probably be " why is there so many people hiking in my spots?" people leech information off this thread all the time, all you are doing is giving lazy people free information my "local  :twocents:" as you call it.....

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:15:25 PM »
Just an update. I put close to 12 miles on my boots on Thursday about 6 or so miles west of the feeding station in the shrub steppe/ tree line area and could tell that the elk were higher than I was. I was in the 3500 foot range and it was so dry in most places that I could kick the dirt and you could see the dust. Found a dead head, one elk shed, and a chewed up 2 point deer shed, that was it. Usually this area yields better results, but with it so dry this year I may have to look a lot higher. perhaps in a different GMU higher up. And I know for a fact I was the first one up there this year. There were no other boot prints visible besides mine do to the acsess point still having snow on the ground.

Have you ever been to oak creek during this time of year? there are 10+ good quality cameras at every entry point/gate within the closed boundary and  3 or so along the closed portion(to thr right of the oak creek rd itself). As well as the 2 cameras at the gate in the trees.

The only place the locals go in from is the southern portion of that gmu as well as a neighboring one where it is perfectly legal to use their gates in the game fence that are on their property. That too has been a hard hunt this year:twocents:

your next post will probably be " why is there so many people hiking in my spots?" people leech information off this thread all the time, all you are doing is giving lazy people free information my "local  :twocents:" as you call it.....
:chuckle:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:52 PM »

Who would "sneak in through a gate"?  Cross county over the hill and into the grounds is the way to go.  Hoofin it.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline pat2bear

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »

Who would "sneak in through a gate"?  Cross county over the hill and into the grounds is the way to go.  Hoofin it.
All the cameras really do is just keep the honest people honest. The only way they will stop it is stiffer penalties. Fines in the thousands and loss of hunting privileges.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]