collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Roslyn - Liberty area for birds?  (Read 10963 times)

Offline Tom Tamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
Re: Roslyn - Liberty area for birds?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
Was tough on the youth hunt, saw and heard nothing. Usually pretty decent this time of year. Liberty seems to have been tough the past few years. Been able for most part to find birds in both areas. I too am curious what the Wolf will do, never seen much study on wolf predating Turkeys but if they predate everything else to where other Predators like Bobcat, cougar have to turn to turkeys more than usual???? Those birds do seem to migrate quite a bit, though. Couldn't tell if the already moved higher than normal for this time of year or not.
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
Not to thread jack but what is the snow like up around liberty? We have 10 acres up there and I would like to get in there soon but not sure what the snow depths are looking like. I don't hunt turkeys but if I find some birds on there I might be able to get talked into letting a guy in to take one or two. They usually come through our place every spring.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »
Was tough on the youth hunt, saw and heard nothing. Usually pretty decent this time of year. Liberty seems to have been tough the past few years. Been able for most part to find birds in both areas. I too am curious what the Wolf will do, never seen much study on wolf predating Turkeys but if they predate everything else to where other Predators like Bobcat, cougar have to turn to turkeys more than usual???? Those birds do seem to migrate quite a bit, though. Couldn't tell if the already moved higher than normal for this time of year or not.
Watched a coyote rush a flock yesterday, they jumped and flew off so fast it made my head spin. He didn't get one and messed up our hunt. I don't think wolfs or coyotes get many this time of the year. Now when they are young is a different story.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
Predators (other than us human types) usually don't get a turkey dinner unless it is the very young or the infirm.      :twocents:

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Agreed TD, think it has more to do with the change in the weather the past 5-6 yrs. those birds were flourishing back before these recent cold wet springs( Snow into Mid-May) and I think the flocks are adjusting to what is now the norm for them. plus hunting pressure is greatly increased the past 5 years over there. Just have to be willing to go back behind the gates even farther.
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
The weather is definitely taking its toll on the flocks all over the state. I haven't been to the NE corner in quite a few years now since we have started hunting central Wa. We have for sure seen a decrease in birds in the central part of the state but not much we can do bout the weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpotNStalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
Like others have said turkeys will move into burnt areas, but that doesn't mean that's their first choice. Also, I don't personally know how much impact wolves have but a good friend of mine says they've really messed up his area near republic. Coyotes definitely impact turkeys as well. I personally have seen a coyote catch a full size healthy turkey right in front of me! That particular coyote is no longer eating turkey :chuckle: !!! I have also noticed that hunting pressure will effect birds. 

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 03:28:42 PM »
Many years ago I monitored radioed hens in northern New England.  Almost no coyote mortality - EXCEPT - 75% of our nesting hen mortality was by coyotes.  I've hunted toms in burned areas in the WY/SD/NE Black Hills, they like the burns very well in the spring.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
Many years ago I monitored radioed hens in northern New England.  Almost no coyote mortality - EXCEPT - 75% of our nesting hen mortality was by coyotes.  I've hunted toms in burned areas in the WY/SD/NE Black Hills, they like the burns very well in the spring.

Interesting. Makes some sense, being opportunistic and smart, they waste a lot more energy on chasing one down than finding one hunkered down on her nest. Would bet Wolves would follow the same mold to a degree.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »
Not looking to good around the upper county.  We went out yesterday and didn't get one response.  It's kinda odd.  The normal spots that always hold birds and nothing. 
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
Not to thread jack but what is the snow like up around liberty? We have 10 acres up there and I would like to get in there soon but not sure what the snow depths are looking like. I don't hunt turkeys but if I find some birds on there I might be able to get talked into letting a guy in to take one or two. They usually come through our place every spring.

Aunt and uncle were at our property this weekend. Guess there is still snow in the shady areas and the road is greasy getting in. They said there was deer, elk and turkey sign in camp as well as they heard some turkeys chirping and gobbling up above camp. Bet a guy could call a tom in to our meadow with a few decoys and some good calling.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »
Hunted the Teanaway area today, saw no birds, heard no birds talking. Everybody I talked to said the exact same thing.

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 03:10:17 AM »
These last two posts have me thinkin now.

A) Up until 2 years ago, the Roslyn side of Teannaway had LOTS of animals in it. In some places, harder to get at because of terrain and such, but still thick with Deer and Elk. However, the last two years in the Roslyn area, have been an economical drain on my Hunting dollars. Both years, Wolf tracks everywhere I go throughout the unit, from Pac Crest, to foothills to the West of US97.

B) Foothills East of US97 all the way to the Colockum have been scorched here and there, however in that same week of scouting each year, I have seen tons of grouse on the East side of 97 and alot more hooved animal prints/sign. If Turkeys dig regreen areas within old fire areas, I would think that any birds to be found in the area, would be Liberty or East to the Columbia...

I am starting to think that the hills above Roslyn is just becoming Wolf Central, cuz I literally have not even seen anything edible up there in years now...

Offline smittyJ

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »
Was through Blewett and Liberty Thursday, saw nothing but 2 hens along 970. Did not go up the Teannaway.

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 01:46:23 AM »
ALL I've heard the last week from multiple sources is how many people are over there. I'm just gonna hi up the family property in Tonasket... aka damn near in Canada. ..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal