collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: R.E.A.L bullets  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Red leaf 67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • none
R.E.A.L bullets
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:19:05 AM »
     Any one out there have any experience using cast REAL bullets by Lee? I currently have a Lyman great plains rifle that I have always shot patched round balls with(has a slow twist barrel 48:1 I think). I would like to step up it's hunting performance and try casting some 320 grain REAL bullets from Lee, I called them and they were not sure how they would work in a barrel designed for shooting round balls. I know Buffalo bullet Co. makes what they call a Ball-ette that they claim works well in any barrel( it too is around 300- 320 grains) it is like a hybrid ball/bullet. Any feedback would be helpful. My other option is to keep using the Lyman at rondezvous and targets, and purchase a dedicated hunting rifle. Thanks Red Leaf.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
Re: R.E.A.L bullets
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »
Best thing to do is cast some and try them.  Shooting distances in Vermont aren't that far anyway.  I used to hunt Vermont back in the '60s, so I'm familiar wit the conditions there!  My .58 caliber Hawken that I built back in the '70s shoots both equally well.  My uncle hunts Massachusetts with a .54 cal. smoothbore, so he's at even more of a disadvantage...  :chuckle:
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline MagKarl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Pretty sure your GPR is 1:60.  I've got one too but only shoot PRB. 

What do you mean by step up the performance?  What about your setup are you not satisfied from a hunting performance standpoint?

Offline Red leaf 67

• Hunter
    • none
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
 Your'e right, I checked it out and the 32" barrel is 1 turn in 66". Never had a problem with accuracy using patched round balls, just wanted to try a heavier projectile for a little more energy deer hunting. I may scrap the idea, since I would probably have to work up a new load/ adjust powder charge as well. I may stick with what I'm using, shoots a pretty tight group. thanks for the reply         Red leaf

Offline oneshot12

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSMA ,NMLRA, NRA
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
 :dunno: got to tell ya dont sell the patched round ball in that  Lyman  short . I and tell yup first hand taken  white tail.black tail .mule deer  elk and bear with it all patched round ball at various distances  from 20 to 150 yard shots  .i have hunted in your neck of the woods many years back took some nice deer as well   .been looking in to heading north to  Canada for moose using the same gun   so work your load and shoot at the distances you are comfortable with   and trust your gun  .dont know what your cal lyman is  but my 54 like 90 grns 3 f powder  20 thou patch and 530 ball  works evert time if i manage to hold center and tuch it off   .hope it helps some  an best of luck 

Offline Red leaf 67

• Hunter
    • none
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:32:31 AM »
 :tup:   Thanks for the encouraging words, guess I have to remember if it ain't broke, don't fix it! One thing I like about muzzleloaders is that I never have to buy cartridges & they are just plain fun. I have a 12 ga. I've used for rabbit & grouse, light, easy to carry, cylinder bored, & never have to buy cartridges :). Thanks, Red leaf

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
I've used the ball-ettes years ago.  I recall that they performed well in my Hawken .54 cal, I think 1 in 66 as well.  But as mentioned, I've also had great performance with patched ball but my longest shot was a pass through at 80 yards.

Offline Red leaf 67

• Hunter
    • none
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »
Hey, nice looking dog! Thanks for the info/reply. I live in Vermont, shots typically are taken at 40 - 65 yards. Anyway I spent some time in Washington back in 1994 & really liked it, found Hunting Washington, like it better than what we have here. Hope to make it back to your great state some time. How's the bird hunting? I have a three year old half brittany half  English Setter who would love to work some birds. Thanks   Red Leaf

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
I've got about 80 or90 Quail in my yard every afternoon.  They are starting to pair up for the nesting season now.  I call them my Survival Food.  :chuckle: Lots of them around now that I've gotten rid of the feral cats!  :tup:  I had a couple of English Setters over the years.  Loved the Quail--once you bust up a covey, you can hunt the singles ALL DAY!
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]