collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: selling permitt points  (Read 23190 times)

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
Re: selling permitt points
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
I agreement 110% idahohunter.  The premit system is not an entitlement system that most people in WA think it is.  Just because you have accumulated a bunch of pts doesn't mean that you deserve a tag or that your kid deserves a tag.  Or that they have to be used because you paid for them.

Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline idahohuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 10:04:30 PM »
Point systems do not create more opportunity...they simply shift odds to favor a group of folks who have put in longer.  In shifting the odds one group has to lose for another to gain.  If grandpa dies, those points go away under the current system.  But if he wills them, then young max starts with grandpas points which means the kid whose grandpa did not hunt is at a big disadvantage.  Therefore, if you allow point transfers you are putting new/beginning hunters without a dynasty of points at a huge mathematical disadvantage. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
kentrek,

The way that odds can get better or at least stay the same is by having those with high numbers of points dropping out of the system. So that is either because they quit hunting for whatever reason, they finally draw a permit, or they die. Now what happens when instead the points are transferred to their kids- odds continue to get worse, and especially for the people just starting out with no points.

I'd prefer we had no point system at all, like Idaho. But allowing the transfer of points would do nothing but make things worse.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »
Point systems do not create more opportunity...they simply shift odds to favor a group of folks who have put in longer.  In shifting the odds one group has to lose for another to gain.  If grandpa dies, those points go away under the current system.  But if he wills them, then young max starts with grandpas points which means the kid whose grandpa did not hunt is at a big disadvantage.  Therefore, if you allow point transfers you are putting new/beginning hunters without a dynasty of points at a huge mathematical disadvantage. 

That is true but how much of an offset are we talking ?? Is it more than the reward points people get? Id be willing to make the rules for alive people only..I wasnt thinking long term but neither is our fish an game

I agree that draws dont increases oppertunity...prolly another thread topic tho

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Here's what I'd like because it would benefit me! We should be able to transfer our points from one category to another. That way I could take my moose points and my sheep points and draw some great deer and elk permits. 

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
kentrek,

The way that odds can get better or at least stay the same is by having those with high numbers of points dropping out of the system. So that is either because they quit hunting for whatever reason, they finally draw a permit, or they die. Now what happens when instead the points are transferred to their kids- odds continue to get worse, and especially for the people just starting out with no points.

I'd prefer we had no point system at all, like Idaho. But allowing the transfer of points would do nothing but make things worse.

So if we killed the points once a the original point holder dies would that be fine ?? Almost feel im getting off the original topic but its been on my mind lately to come up with a good way to do this...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »
kentrek,

So if we killed the points once a the original point holder dies would that be fine ?? Almost feel im getting off the original topic but its been on my mind lately to come up with a good way to do this...

I don't know. I've thought of this as well and I don't know how to end a point system once it gets started. I don't think it could be done without upsetting most of the people who have invested in it.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
Whoops, when I said "kill the points" I ment of the one person who died..not the whole system

Im game for killing the whole system too tho..spread the hunters out ! Yup now im def off topic :chuckle:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
Whoops, when I said "kill the points" I ment of the one person who died..not the whole system

Im game for killing the whole system too tho..spread the hunters out ! Yup now im def off topic :chuckle:

I guess I don't understand what you mean. Isn't it already that way? When you die, your points die with you. Correct?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
Something needs to be done...I wish we would go to a system like ID where you have to pick bucks and bulls or OIL tags

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

I guess I don't understand what you mean. Isn't it already that way? When you die, your points die with you. Correct?

Im talking about in my imaginary world where a grandpa can have his grandson use his points

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »
Orr where a grandson can give his points to his grandpa for what could be his last hunt  :dunno:

Theres gotta be a way it could be fair, just doesn't seem like the bad out weighs the good that could come from it

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »
Orr where a grandson can give his points to his grandpa for what could be his last hunt  :dunno:

Theres gotta be a way it could be fair, just doesn't seem like the bad out weighs the good that could come from it

That can be done. It's called applying as partners.

Actually there's at least one  state (Idaho?) where a dad can let his kid shoot an animal with dad's tag. I don't know if it has to be a dad, or just an adult mentor. Not sure, but somebody on here probably will know. I wouldn't be against something like that. But just to take points from one person and give them to another. I'd never support that.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »
But applying as partners averages the points, and if one partner is unable to hunt then its a waste of a tag

I agree with the last part of your statement tho, thats pretty much the end result of what id like to see more of...

Personally id love to give my points/controlled tag to my dad, I really dont need them and itd be amazing to watch him shoot a bull one more time
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:56:58 PM by kentrek »

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2014, 10:53:03 PM »

I don't know. I've thought of this as well and I don't know how to end a point system once it gets started. I don't think it could be done without upsetting most of the people who have invested in it.
Like all Ponzi schemes it would not end well and probably many folks would wind up in prison when all was said and done :chuckle:

Actually there's at least one  state (Idaho?) where a dad can let his kid shoot an animal with dad's tag. I don't know if it has to be a dad, or just an adult mentor. Not sure, but somebody on here probably will know. I wouldn't be against something like that. But just to take points from one person and give them to another. I'd never support that.
In Idaho a parent or grandparent can transfer a controlled hunt tag that they draw to a minor child or grandchild...I have no real issue with that...but there is more than one mom/dad/grandma out there putting in for moose or sheep tags etc. who has never hunted a day in his/her life  :chuckle:  :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal