collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HOOF ROT MEETING IN VANCOUVER WASHINGTON  (Read 8399 times)

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Re: HOOF ROT MEETING IN VANCOUVER WASHINGTON
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:26 AM »
Why don't they ban the spraying of timberlands for ten years and see if the health if the elk in the area improves. My guess is that it will. I'd also guess that we could see a very large increase in deer, grouse, and other wildlife.

I agree completely with these statements, but I don't believe you'll see the hoof rot go away.

Some of the highest elk numbers in Idaho are on Potlatch timber ground, and I've never heard a single thing about hoof rot there.

I also agree that I would like to see some research done to find the causative factors here and determine if there is any way to manage/mitigate hoof rot.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
Maybe it is different in ID simply because of the soil not being similar to what is found in the areas in SW WA that are having problems?  And maybe it is the wetter climate?

But the wetter climate doesn't explain why parts of Western OR and other parts of Western WA have not been affected....... ???

Maybe the spraying program that WEYCO uses in SW WA is different than what is used in other areas?  Somebody needs to find out exactly what is being sprayed and in what concentrations and if it is different in other areas.

Hoof rot could very well have nothing to do with chemicals............but maybe it does? 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Hoof rot could very well have nothing to do with chemicals............but maybe it does?

Entirely possible.  My whole point is don't get in a rush to try and connect the dots without looking at the big picture.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
Hopefully someone researching the cause of hoof rot has gotten data on what chemicals, and what frequency and concentrations and what size of areas are being sprayed.  It may help shed light on if herbicides have any correlation at all with hoof rot. 

I would expect that they would have compiled that data since at least 1996.............but sadly I won't be surprised to learn that they have not researched it whatsoever. :(

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
Another thing I would hope researchers have compiled data on is the soil type in the areas of elk with hoof rot.

It would be fairly easy to check the NRCS website for mapped soil types and see if there is some correlation to soil type and hoof rot. 

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/WebSoilSurvey.aspx

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
Another thing I would hope researchers have compiled data on is the soil type in the areas of elk with hoof rot.

It would be fairly easy to check the NRCS website for mapped soil types and see if there is some correlation to soil type and hoof rot. 

They have taken soil samples to try and find the trepomenes and spirochetes that are present in the lesions. They've had no luck with that so far.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
Hopefully someone researching the cause of hoof rot has gotten data on what chemicals, and what frequency and concentrations and what size of areas are being sprayed.  It may help shed light on if herbicides have any correlation at all with hoof rot. 

I would expect that they would have compiled that data since at least 1996.............but sadly I won't be surprised to learn that they have not researched it whatsoever. :(

The WDFW has no interest in compiling that data, apparently, since the effects of herbicides have yet to be examined by them.  :bash: However, our own BBarnes has done quite a bit of research over the last 3 years in that regard and has some startling findings, including recent findings which seem to indicate that some regulations are being broken in the types and combinations of chemicals being sprayed. I'll leave that up to him for specifics.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »

They have taken soil samples to try and find the trepomenes and spirochetes that are present in the lesions. They've had no luck with that so far.
did you get a chance to ask about wolves being a tool for controlling hoof rott pianno?
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline bbarnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Mt Saint Helens Rescue .com
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »
I want to thank all the folks, that showed up for last nights meeting.Also I talked with law makers in our state today on this issue.One of those law makers was Ed Orcutt,who has know about this situation since 2006,and in my opinion has done nothing.Things got a little heated between us which is never a good thing.He told us at the Longview meeting he would look into what was being sprayed.Its been three weeks,and  this guys a forester and he still couldn't tell me,what's being sprayed and wanted to argue the permits I had in my hand.I urge all of you going to the meeting tonight,in Chehalis to ask Ed why he hasn't looked into this,he's know about the whole time.Also why no test are being done to see if the chemicals,are in the blood streams of the ELK.Also for those of you wonder why there doing more study's now,it's because I wrote a letter of Criminal Negligence to the state over this issue.I contacted the Washington Forest Law Center today over this issue asking for them to look into this.STAY TUNED I would ask every reader to call them and voice your concerns over what's going on he were getting a ROTTEN DEAL.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »

did you get a chance to ask about wolves being a tool for controlling hoof rott pianno?

Yes I did. Mr. Pamplin said that the only options that they've discussed were different human culling options - MHs, hunters, gamies, hired guns. They're not at that juncture yet, according to them.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Real Estate Broker
  • Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • John L Scott Real Estate
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »

Yes I did. Mr. Pamplin said that the only options that they've discussed were different human culling options - MHs, hunters, gamies, hired guns. They're not at that juncture yet, according to them.

Sandra Jonker sure made a funny looking face when you asked the question about wolves. It looked like she was in disbelief.
Steve Marshall - John L Scott Real Estate

Selling Homes and Acreage in SW Washington

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44:57 AM »
I imagine the two doctors make a lot of funny-looking faces, especially when they're asked to come up with scientific results without including specific important factors. This whole thing is laid out like a cover-up. Going back to the gap of samplings between 2009-2013, it occurs to me that there may well have been some done and that they might have conclusively pointed to agricultural chemicals as the culprit. I can just not imagine how the outbreak spiked in 2008, they did their first samplings in 2009, and then did nothing more until 2013. This makes absolutely zero sense to me. Why would they stop if they didn't have any answers or if the outbreak didn't cease? The problem has certainly only increased since then.  :dunno:

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »
Its pretty obvious it has been low on their priority list.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Another question I'd asked Mr. Pamplin was "where is the USFWS in all this?" The answer I received was basically that elk are a state-managed species and the USFWS doesn't get involved. Apparently, I didn't ask the right question, which should have been "where's the federal government in all this?"

Then this AM, I read this article and highlighted for you, the informed reader, a pertinent statement:
http://www.avionics-intelligence.com/news/2014/04/13/drones-help-monitor-skagit-valley-elk-herd.html

Drones help monitor Skagit Valley elk herd
2014-04-13
Kimberly Cauvel Skagit Valley Herald
Eyes in the sky
By Kimberly Cauvel
Skagit Valley Herald
Fish and Wildlife shies away
The state Department of Fish and Wildlife has worked closely with Native American tribes and other agencies to monitor the elk herd and mitigate conflicts with landowners.
But it kept its distance from this survey because of the use of unmanned aircraft, which the governor's office has barred executive-branch agencies and staff from purchasing and using for the next 15 months.
The week before the start of the survey, Gov. Jay Inslee vetoed a bill that created privacy rules for government and regulatory use of unmanned aircraft.
"We thought that applied to us, and participating in (Western Washington University professor David) Wallin's project would be contrary to the instructions in that order," Fish and Wildlife research scientist Cliff Rice said.
MOUNT VERNON, Wash. - Looking out over the town of Hamilton in the upper Skagit River valley from a hillside on state Department of Natural Resources land, a team of federal unmanned aircraft operators and local researchers scouted for elk.
They couldn't see elk themselves from that high up, but they knew they were there. Using radio monitors, they noted the general location of collared animals before sending a former military drone over the landscape to capture video footage.
The three-day survey over a section of public land was a first-time trial run using the technology to survey elk in dense, forested areas. Surveyors will compare the number of radio-tagged elk in the area at the time of the survey with the number of tagged animals observed in the video footage to estimate the herd's population.
The U.S. Geological Survey's Unmanned Aircraft Systems Project Office and U.S. Bureau of Land Management, both based in Denver, provided and operated the 4-pound, battery-powered aircraft. The U.S. Army previously used the planes in Afghanistan and Iraq, operator Mark Bauer said.
The USGS office is evaluating how well the technology works for research purposes. Wildlife and habitat surveys account for 70 percent of research requests, but this was the first one focused on elk.
Western Washington University environmental science professor David Wallin leads the local project and plans to compare the results to helicopter surveys of the North Cascades elk herd, also known as the Nooksack herd.
Sauk-Suiattle Tribe natural resource technician Ramo Misanes, Stillaguamish Tribe wildlife biologist Jen Sevigny and other tribal members helped locate collared elk.
"The tribe has been involved in trying to restore this herd since 2000," Sevigny said. The tribes want to make sure their Point Elliott Treaty rights are met to maintain their cultural hunting traditions, she said.
The state Department of Fish and Wildlife has worked closely with the tribes and other agencies to monitor the herd and mitigate conflicts with landowners in upriver communities.
But it kept its distance from this survey because of the use of unmanned aircraft, which the governor's office barred executive-branch agencies and staff from purchasing and using for the next 15 months.
The week before the start of the survey, Gov. Jay Inslee vetoed a bill that created privacy rules for government and regulatory use of unmanned aircraft.
"We thought that applied to us, and participating in Wallin's project would be contrary to the instructions in that order," Olympia-based Fish and Wildlife research scientist Cliff Rice said.
In his April 4 letter on the decision, Inslee said he vetoed Engrossed House Bill 2789 because he did not think it required enough government transparency. He plans to organize a task force to re-evaluate the issue for the 2015 legislative session.
Also because of public privacy concerns associated with the use of the military technology, the permitting process for the research project took six months, Wallin said. Not only did the project have to be cleared with the Federal Aviation Administration, but also with U.S. and Canadian military because of the radio frequencies the equipment was set up to use.

Copyright 2014 Spokane Spokesman-Review

Not only are the feds tracking our elk, they're doing it with Predator drones. What else are they doing over our skies with Predator drones? Inslee may have put a moratorium on the state's use of them, but he seems fine with the feds using them over our state. My first question is "Does Governor Inslee know the text of the 10th Amendment to our beloved Constitution?" My next question is "Is Governor Inslee requiring a full account of the activities of these drones over WA?"

I'm going to write both the DFW and the Governor's office about this today. I would encourage others to do so, as well.

Offline snowpack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Sounds like one of the smaller backpack drones, not a predator.  Predators are huge, way more than 4 lbs (more like 4,000 lbs) and do not run off batteries.  Probably using the switchblade.  But yes, I understand your point.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]