collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Exo Mountain Gear Pack  (Read 48212 times)

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Exo Mountain Gear Pack
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
Seen a picture of the 5500 on their fb page.  Can't wait. 

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
After loading up the pack I can't imagine trying to find enough stuff to fill up a 5500.  Because with that all said and done you really looking at like 7000 if you include side pockets and lid.  And that doesn't include throwing a small drop camp bag from in between the pack/frame which is also an option.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
I am trying to decide what I am going to carry in the hip belt pouch.  I think some diaphragms, wind indicator and gps unit.

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
The hip belt pouch fits my camera or iphone perfect.
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Sweet pics, how was the trip and how did the pack do?

Offline Bmcox86

• Sourdough
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
Been doing a lot of training hikes with my pack. Got a 60lb bag of sand on the frame and a few pounds of water in the top pocket. Once I got it adjusted right it's been great. Amazing what load lifters will actually do with a heavy load.
Semper Paratus

Tikka t3 light 300wm

Offline GHETTO GUIDE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
2.5 miles on the treadmill today with 40lbs + on a fast pace.   Time is an issue so Im not able to get out all my gear and hit the trail so I made  the best of the situation.  The first mile was on a good inlcine and pack was not adjusted properly.  I jumped on and off the treadmill a few times and then it finally happeded,.  The sweet spot.. It fit like an old base ball hat.  I was really happy.

The pack its self is really light .  see pict.

I was only walking straight with no bending or twisting so I didnt get the full effect of the packs ability to swivel at the hip belt.  I did do some twisting and bending off the treadmill and the pack moves with you , compared to other that are more ridgid and kind of fight you when twisting or bending. I was able to put my arm behind my lumbar section and reach all the way through.  I liked the airflow.   The lumbar pad was firm and I had no rubbing.

Load lifters ,  I started with them loose and slowly tightened  them as I got to that sweet spot in the pack and then backed them off.  I could really tell when I got to that sweet spot for weight distribution.

The chest strap is the only thing I would like to have more of an adjustment on.  I felt that at points I wanted it farther down my chest but couldnt because of the sewn in stopps.  Not a big deal but It would be really nice to pull the cx strap down farther. 

There is enough space in the pack to fit all my gear for 3-4 days easily.  I like the ladder loops on the outside to attach what ever else you need. 

The meat shelf could have a little flap option in the bottom instead of two strapps for securing smaller loads.

Im a 36" waist and the belt had lots of room for adjustment as well as the shoulder straps. 

Over all Im really happy with the pack , light weight , strong , good quality, flexible, adjustable.  Able to use as a day pack, meat pack, or pack in . 

I don’t give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. "Mark Twain"

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2014, 01:51:39 PM »
Less than two weeks till the bear opener.  Doesn't look like mine is going to get here in time :'(  You guys are making me jealous!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Bmcox86

• Sourdough
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2014, 02:35:44 PM »
Have you talked to Steve? He might send you a loaner till yours is ready if you have a trip.
Semper Paratus

Tikka t3 light 300wm

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »
I've got about a half dozen packs that will work.  Just was hoping for a new toy!

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2014, 06:52:38 PM »
So I put 140# on the pack and went for a little walk.  I am very confident that the pack will handle all that I can throw at it and then some.  Overall the pack was extremely comfortable.  The only thing was a little tightness in the shoulder straps but heck its 140#.  The frame was as rigid as ever, I tested by bending over to pick things up/tie shoe laces.  I could easily raise hands over my head so range of motion was not impacted.  Also as a side note Saturday I tried shooting with the pack on.  No problem at all there.  I even tested shooting with 80# on the pack again no effect on the shot other than a little tougher to pull the bow.  As I continue to test it out I will keep this thread going.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:59 PM »
Tonight I did 3 miles with 80#.  No problems or complaints.  I will be adding more mileage a little at a time until hunting season.  Plus a few walkabouts during August looking for a bear or two.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Phoned the guys at Exo Mtn yesterday.  Wow, what nice folks!   Looks like I missed the current round of shipments and have to wait until early August :'(  Bummer to miss the first week of bear season, but I'm still excited. 

Every post brings me closer and closer to realizing how much I've been waiting for this pack.  Been a really long time coming!  I started looking for just such a pack back around 1984.  In that time I think I have tried 25 or 30 different packs.  Never completely satisfied and remain searching.  These posts have me feeling very optimistic when at first I doubted it would really be any different from the other high end packs I've tried.  Keep all the reviews coming :tup:

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
Well, I've drank the Exo Kool-aid, and I have one on order. Mr. Steve Speck says iut wojhn't come till Oct.   Glad to finally commit to the price and m ake my peace with the cost.   Rats though! What am I going to for the high season.....
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
So I was looking at the Facebook page today and I noticed something.  How did they attach the clips for the meat shelf.  I looked at mine and it appears that the brown straps are sewn.  This got me thinking about the ones for my bladder and those are sewn also.  I am using some parachute cord but is anyone else's set up this way?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal