collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Exo Mountain Gear Pack  (Read 48211 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Exo Mountain Gear Pack
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2014, 01:42:50 AM »
Thought I was in on the hip belt pouch, but I guess not.  I'll try to get one when they are back in stock.

Right off the bat I noticed a few things sort of funky.  I'd rather have the bottom of the bag square like the Glacier bag, but I can live with it.  Also the side pockets are SUPER deep with no side access to those.  I sure hope I never accidently drop something small and short down one of those side pockets.  With the taper at the bottom of the bag you may never got those small items back out without some sort of magic.

I'm going to need to really plan ahead as to how I am going to load my different items as even with the one single side access zipper it looks like organizing your small items is going to take some skill and planning.  I expect finding the perfect bladder location as others have mentioned may take some trial and error time too.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the Plain-Jane waist belt.  I realize that keeps price and weight down, but I find the quality of the waist belt as one of the top couple items I appreciate over time on a pack.  Tension straps and buckles look well made and thought out, but if I keep the pack I expect the waist belt will be one of the very first items I address...if not THE very first thing.  I'll see if any of my other belts will fit.  If not, I guess I need to get some more material and oil up the Pfaff.

Almost immediately after putting weight in the pack I noticed extreme heat at the contact points.  I wasn't sure if the humid evening was causing it or if it was the material/foam causing it.  So I got out four other packs, loaded them with 60# and took a short walk around the block with each.  Looks to be a little bit of both, but it is easily the hottest material of any pack I still have here.  And I thought it was near impossible to get hotter than my Blacks Creek and Glacier!  I may have to break out the Fluke meter and see just how dang hot those pressure points get in comparison to the other packs.  Verify that I'm not just messed in the head :chuckle:

So far I really like the starting weight, material, Ti-frame design and quality of the seams and sewing!  Already liking it WAY better than the Kuiu.  Pack seems to carry weight better than any of my other packs.  Does seem difficult to get the pack on, but that may just be because all my other packs are worn in and this is stiff and new.  Only time will tell on that I'm guessing.  I'll put some miles and some stairs to the pack with 80# over the weekend.  Do some hot day hikes and some cool night stairs over the next few days and let you know what I think early next week.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:41:42 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
The accessories are up on the website for sale now.  They have videos to show the details also.  I got the meat shelf, thinking about the load sling down the road.

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »
Bought my accessories and they're on the way! Bad part is I have to wait for the Oct run of packs to get mine :bash:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline fisheral87

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/home.php
  • Groups: WSCPA, BHA
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
Tag
"Luck is a dividend of sweat, the more you sweat the luckier you get." - Ray Kroc

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
So the season is not done yet but I have received a few inquiries and I figured that the holidays are coming up so I would let everyone know what I thought about the pack.  After 3 weeks hunting this season, due to time constraints, I have to say that I really like the pack.  I had no issues with it.  The material was tough as nails even going through some knarly briar patches and reprod.  With my pack loaded for the day, it was way way more comfortable than the packs that I used before.  I did a lot of hiking with it out of season with the pack weighted so I know it can handle the weight.  Unfortunately even with a few really close calls I have not had the chance to get some blood on the pack.  I have a couple more days so hopefully my luck will turn.  If anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me. 

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
One, maybe two, weekends left of hunting until I call it quits for the year.  I can not remember a season where I put fewer miles on a pack.  But, I was able to put enough miles on to get a good feel for it.  Even got a little bloody.  I do give the pack high praise.  It answers a lot of the wants I have been looking for in a tough, lightweight, all round pack.  Though I have to admit that I will continue my search for a waist belt to replace the one that this pack comes with.  While the pack rates an 8.5 or 9 out of ten, the waist belt rates at dang near zero.  As much as I like the packs features I will not be using it after this year unless I can find or make a suitable replacement for the waist belt.

I still think the pack needs a bit more thought on where to store my small items.  I've placed most in the top bag even though that is not my first choice of places to put them.  That is only a minor inconvenience far out weighted by all the other fantastic features.  Nothing that I would really hold against the pack.  Just something I would like to see as a further improvement.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:52:37 AM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
ANYONE OVER 6' TALL USING ONE OF THESE PACKS? I'm wandering how effective the load lifters are with a heavy load
Tim

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2014, 06:05:25 AM »
I am 6'6" and called Steve a few times and also called Aron at kifaru. I ended up going kifaru for the taller frame.  How tall are you?  More importantly your torso length. I know kifaru is more expensive but the fit was more important than 100$

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Hunter
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2014, 06:19:22 AM »
6'-2"

Offline MLHSN

• Longhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2015, 12:55:06 PM »
Question for those that have used the pack for a season. 

I just ordered a 5500.  I did not add a meat shelf to the order.  How necessary do you guys think this is?  Could I just as easily strap the meat to the frame well or do you think the shelf is a necessary weight gain to keep it from slipping down lower?

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
If you just tighten all the bottom straps all the way down, the bag will act as a meat shelf. That's how I pack around my sand bag for training and it doesn't shift at all.
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
I think the exo 5500 is my top choice for a new pack. Really debating between it and a kifaru DT2 or AMR.

It's so hard to make up my mind without being able to try either of them on!

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »
If you ever get up to issaquah you can try my EXO on
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I think I am leaning toward the exo after watching and reading more reviews. Price is more in my range and I like the built in frame. The kirafu stuff is just so customizable, but also much more spendy.

Offline couesbitten

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2015, 08:22:53 PM »
I just won the EXO 5500 on a contest they had over on the Rokslide site and am anxious to get the pack in hand so that I can try it out.  I already own a Kifaru Highcamp 4800, so am looking forward to seeing how the EXO compares.
With the catching ends the pleasure of the chase. - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal