collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Merriams Turkey Camp 2014  (Read 12252 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Merriams Turkey Camp 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
Heck of a nice bird.... congrats  :tup: :tup: :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline irishevox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
BEARPAW  i emailed you
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
You did good!  Going silent and letting him do the rest was probably the key, although you never know.  I would have done exactly the same.  Absolutely beautiful Eastern. :tup:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline REHJWA

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
Great write up. :tup: :tup: You made me stop moving at my desk as he was staring at me from around that bend. :chuckle:
Thank You for sharing.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
You having that big boy mounted?  That's probably the nicest Eastern I've seen come out of Washington :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
One helluva bird congrats to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:04 PM »
You having that big boy mounted?  That's probably the nicest Eastern I've seen come out of Washington :tup:

Fan, beard, and spur mount DIY  :tup:
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
".......a couple dozen eternities later........"

Best phrasing of the year.  Everybody on this forum understands this painful void.  Very well done, Sir!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 07:23:14 AM »

Fan, beard, and spur mount DIY  :tup:

Can't wait to see this one Jas
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 07:53:12 AM »
Congrats man, well done.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »
wow, i am impressed as well man.. I didnt think you were going to get the eastern... And you got about as nice of Eastern as you can get.. what a paint brush on him.. ive killed a few easterns and that one you got is as good as i seen..  congradulations man, i would have all three species mounted if I were you.. its cool to have the slam mounted up on the wall, not to many people can say they have got that..  :tup:
Their going down!!!

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
Just so folks know this single season slam was not a fluke!  I think it was ten or eleven months ago that MerriamMagician contacted JPhelps and myself.  I received regular detailed scouting reports and questions (which was really cool!).  This guy worked his tail off following every lead and making his own discoveries.  I don't know if I have ever seen someone exhaust so much time and energy tracking down every conceivable tip and possibility. And for a dumb turkey!!!  I can't imagine what would happen if he ever decided to get this interested in a big bull elk ;)  I am left utterly impressed! Not only by the best looking Eastern I have seen come out of this state, but by the way MerriamMagician went about preparing for this spring season! 

I'm not sure I was all that much help.  But, it was fun being taken along on the journey through your PM's and emails!  Great job buddy!  If ever someone deserved this...you'd be the man :tup:

Completely and totally awesome!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 04:34:40 PM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2014, 05:00:35 PM »
Nicely done!
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
Just so folks know this single season slam was not a fluke!  I think it was ten or eleven months ago that MerriamMagician contacted JPhelps and myself.  I received regular detailed scouting reports and questions (which was really cool!).  This guy worked his tail off following every lead and making his own discoveries.  I don't know if I have ever seen someone exhaust so much time and energy tracking down every conceivable tip and possibility. And for a dumb turkey!!!  I can't imagine what would happen if he ever decided to get this interested in a big bull elk ;)  I am left utterly impressed! Not only by the best looking Eastern I have seen come out of this state, but by the way MerriamMagician went about preparing for this spring season! 

I'm not sure I was all that much help.  But, it was fun being taken along on the journey through your PM's and emails!  Great job buddy!  If ever someone deserved this...you'd be the man :tup:

Just want to second what Rad said above.  I had the opportunity to visit with MerriamMagican last year as well as earlier this year on his dedicated pursuit of an Eastern.  What a great effort and willingness to stick to it, even after falling short of his Eastern a year ago.  There have been a handful of dedicated folks on here willing to give their all.  With that comes success, like the birds posted on this thread.  I won't mention their names, but they know who they are and can chime in if they wish.   

I've seen many nice Easterns taken over the years in western Washington and that bird ranks right up there with the best of them.  Just can't think of anyone more deserving than MerriamMagican and those like him who have put in the effort and done the same.  Not an easy task by any stretch, especially if one waits too long to go after the Eastern.  After May, it gets really tough, as they tend to be more receptive early, and not so much later.  Just my observations......

This is what hunting is all about...........again Congratulations to a dedicated young man! :tup:

"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2014, 07:44:54 PM »

Just wanted to say that to some of us, well myself, getting an Eastern especially a big Tom I felt just as much pride and accomplishment as I did as when I tagged my first Bull Elk. It may be just me, but they are every bit as hard as an Elk, for I always said was once they were planted the first thing they did was find the Elk and asked" Where you guys hiding at?" And took their advice.
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal