collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wenaha access update  (Read 7496 times)

Offline Girl Gone Hunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife, NRA, Pope and Young, RMEF
Wenaha access update
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »
My husband and I both drew Wenaha bear tags. Last weekend, we went up to see if we could get into the unit. From Pomeroy to 40 Rd, we made it maybe 5 miles past the Rose Springs snowpark before we ran into too much snow to continue. From Tucannon River Rd, we made it about halfway to Godman Springs before we couldn't continue. From Troy, we hit a deep snow drift on 40 Rd a mile or two past the 4038 Rd junction.

We had been up there 3 different times since finding out we drew tags and have seen a lot of melt off in the past 4 weeks, but there is still plenty up there. We ran into a guy with a cabin on the Pomeroy side of Mountain Rd (40 Rd)....he said there is 7 ft. of snow at Mt. Misery and "there's no way you're gonna get into Wenaha for at least the next couple weeks from this side....not with that truck!" We drive a Ford F150. He was driving a small Toyota with oversized and underinflated tires. He was able to stay on top of the snow, particularly when it was early in the day. As it warmed up, he was having a little more trouble. A heavier truck wouldn't be able to make it.

Hopefully it will warm up and keep melting the snow off so we can get into the unit. Just wanted to post an update for anyone who might have a tag and is wondering how the accessibility is. Sounds like most people might be waiting until May...it could be good by then.

Online andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wenaha access update
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Hopefully the snow does keep melting.  I have a Mt. View tag and am planning on going up the 1st of May.  I may try to make a snow check day trip before then.  If I do, I will post up what I find.  Good luck to you and your husband.

Has anyone tried coming in on 43 from Asotin? Or tried coming in the 4304 from the east from Anatone?   

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
If you really want to get hunting dive into the wenaha from the south. Ya its a steep bugger but it gets you below the snow. I was in there 3 weeks ago 5 miles deep and it was green then. Gotta park the trucks and lace up the boots! Good luck with the bear hunts it should be a great year to have a tag with less snow than some years. nwhunter

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
Folks, this has been a great snow year in the Blue Mountains.  Look at the attached map--we are still at 128% of a median year snowpack (adjusted for today's date).  I would not be surprised to hear access into Weneha from the north remains difficult for quite a while.  (Best of luck to you guys, of course!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Girl Gone Hunting

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife, NRA, Pope and Young, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
Thanks, PD! 

I do know that in comparison to 2011, the snow levels are much lower this year. I had a Lick Creek tag that year and there are places we can access now in Lick Creek that we could not access this same time in 2011. I'm hoping for warm temps to help melt off some of the current snow pack to improve accessibility so all 45 tag holders aren't concentrated in one area!!  :lol4:

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
I do know that in comparison to 2011, the snow levels are much lower this year. I had a Lick Creek tag that year and there are places we can access now in Lick Creek that we could not access this same time in 2011. I'm hoping for warm temps to help melt off some of the current snow pack to improve accessibility so all 45 tag holders aren't concentrated in one area!!

Good Luck to you, GGH.  I hope that the Weneha hunters can spread out--there are a lot of Spring Bear tags for that unit, and it would be terrible if all of you had to access through the same roads.

I also apply each year for Lick Creek and Weneha--but have yet to draw the tag.  I know where I am going for information next year. 8)

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
As long as we don't get impatient, then we won't be discouraged.  The state could have 450 tags for the area instead of 45, and roughly the same number of bear would be taken.  It's tough country with poor access.  The good thing is that it's a ways from any population centers, so lots of people see it once and don't come back; the effort:reward ratio doesn't meet many hunters' expectations.  Crowding and Wenaha aren't two words that will ever collide in a sentence.  If you try to use the roads it may seem like it's crowded because there may be three rigs at a trailhead, but park and walk 10 feet, and you'll think you have the Earth to yourself. 

Early-mid June may or may not see hunters able to make it to the top of the unit this year, unless the Forest Service has unspent money in their plowing budget for the season, and then they may plow and saw the road open.  That's a 1-in-10 year occurrence, though.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline mtncook

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
There will be no snow plowing. No need for any USFS people to get anywhere. They will saw open the road as the snow melts.  For a while yet the access will be from the south.  That adds a lot of road time for most. I've been recruited to do a Condition Survey next week.  Just to report what I see in the trail and weed conditions. Also snow levels.

mtncook

Offline Todd_ID

• Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
I've been recruited to do a Condition Survey next week.  Just to report what I see in the trail and weed conditions. Also snow levels.

mtncook
Let me know if you need a hand with the other end of the misery whip; I may have some time to spare for an adventure like that.  Of course, it'd be with bow and Wenaha tag in hand.  :chuckle:

Offline mtncook

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
I'm not the trail crew, might be next week now.  Rain forecasted this week and I'm not into getting wet while looking for weeds.  Maybe next week.  I'll likely have a rifle also.

mtncook

Online andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:41:17 AM »
Update:

I just got off the phone with the Pomeroy Ranger District Office and the lady on the phone was very helpful.  It sounds like they are in the process of clearing the 40 all the way to the Clearwater lookout tower.  She also said the Cloverland road was open to the Hogback turn off (I'm assuming this is where the east end of the 4302 loop ties into the 43).  She said they didn't have any info on the Mountain Rd. coming in from Anatone because they hadn't had any people needing to travel that way. 

I'm heading up there either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  I'm going up Cloverland as far as I can.  If I can get some service on my phone I will try and post an update on how far I make it.  Hopefully I can at least get to the top of Mt. View on my 4-wheeler.     

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »
Good luck!  According to the NWS website, the relative snow base is actually increasing. This is turning out to be a heavy snow year in the Blues.

Edit: The snow accumulation in the Blues has probably reached its peak for the year.  This week should provide quite a bit of melting.  But snow levels are now at 143% of a median year.  Good luck to you all.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:29:29 PM by pd »

Offline Todd_ID

• Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
The wife and I took a drive Saturday night to see some deer, and there was new snow at about 4000' level.  It's still winter out there in Wenaha except down low.

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
Should be some snow melt happening in a few days.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:44 AM »
Update:

I just got off the phone with the Pomeroy Ranger District Office and the lady on the phone was very helpful.  It sounds like they are in the process of clearing the 40 all the way to the Clearwater lookout tower.  She also said the Cloverland road was open to the Hogback turn off (I'm assuming this is where the east end of the 4302 loop ties into the 43).  She said they didn't have any info on the Mountain Rd. coming in from Anatone because they hadn't had any people needing to travel that way. 

I'm heading up there either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  I'm going up Cloverland as far as I can.  If I can get some service on my phone I will try and post an update on how far I make it.  Hopefully I can at least get to the top of Mt. View on my 4-wheeler.     

At the Clearwater guard tower, you're still a ways away from the Wenaha.
Cloverland is still short too and 4 wheeler is a no-no.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal