collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone used www.fordcummins.com for a repower kit?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Has anyone used www.fordcummins.com for a repower kit?
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
I am looking at re powering a F550 that had its 6 liter choke on it. Not really a surprise. I was turned onto these guys from Kalispell, MT. Essentially you take either a 12 valve Cummins or a common rail and drop it into the ford. Supposedly the conversion takes about 80 hrs, kit costs $3500 plus an engine. 12 vales are cheaper and easier to install, and obviously the common rail are quieter. All said and done it looks like between labor engine and parts your looking in the $11-15K route.

I have not heard very good things about people who have done the "upgrades" to the 6Liter  which likely cost similar. Id love to hear some experiences with this dilemma...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline STED9r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Has anyone used www.fordcummins.com for a repower kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »
Many people do it, from f250's and up, to include both 7.3's and even early bird 6.9...... The shame, its been done in Chevys also.
Really, if your good with a wrench, can fab pipe and some welding its a cake walk.
4bt is used due to minimum ele connections.

Offline Fastass350

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »
4bt may be a little small for a F550, must mean the 6bt  ;)

Check out Oilbuners.net  Tons of info there for people doing swaps into some early gen Fords, earlier than yours but still lots of good info.  I think you can access it without creating an acct. 

Good luck, if you go through with it let us know how it turns out, should be awesome  :tup:

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »
Another option for de-stroking.....
http://www.destroked.com/
The basic overview page.....  http://www.destroked.com/pdfs/Conversion%20Info-12-08-17.pdf

If you dare to go with a VP powered Cummins, Colt Cams does have a cam grind that does significantly quiet up the pre injection event rattle in the 98.5 to 02 engines.

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
If you want to get a first hand look, I know where there's an '02 F350 with an '03 common rail in it up here in Bellingham.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
I am looking at re powering a F550 that had its 6 liter choke on it. Not really a surprise. I was turned onto these guys from Kalispell, MT. Essentially you take either a 12 valve Cummins or a common rail and drop it into the ford. Supposedly the conversion takes about 80 hrs, kit costs $3500 plus an engine. 12 vales are cheaper and easier to install, and obviously the common rail are quieter. All said and done it looks like between labor engine and parts your looking in the $11-15K route.

I have not heard very good things about people who have done the "upgrades" to the 6Liter  which likely cost similar. Id love to hear some experiences with this dilemma...

I'd be really interested in hearing what you've heard about the upgrades failing on the 6.0's.  After all this time of them being dealt with there is a well known recipe to fix these motors for good, and if you pay somebody to do it right you're looking at $4500 - $5000 for quality parts and warranty.  Once the issues are addressed, they are usually fine.

That said, I looked at this company's website a while ago as well.  Pretty awesome setup, and having a Cummins in a Ford would be sweet.  If I recall correctly, my figuring put it up closer to $18K, tho. 
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]